Talk:TF2/Creating a CP assault map
This needs to be beat with the formatting stick. --Remmiz 10:56, 25 Nov 2007 (PST)
- Hit me. Hard. --Baliame 12:06, 25 Nov 2007 (PST)
- That's what she said. --Remmiz 13:14, 25 Nov 2007 (PST)
I have just started to look into the Hammer editor to create TF2 maps (I'm a hammer noob but I've worked with other editors including for Quake 3 & wolfenstein enemy territory, battlefield 1942, unreal tournament 2005, unreal 3 and sandbox). I'm new to Hammer but an experienced level designer.
This wiki is very useful but I have a few requests / remarks:
- most articles "dive right in" before discussing what the goal of the article is and what the principles of the article is (the articles go straight to: "do this, then this" instead of first explaining what it is that we want to accomplish)
- perhaps it's an idea to create basic tutorials for creating maps for each different game-type, so a tutorial for CP, another one for CTF etc
- perhaps somebody can add a bit more info about what entities are needed for the different game-types and what the "flow" is of these entities. I'm finding it hard to understand even how to setup a simple CP map because I can't find an explanation of the core principles. --Kentyman, Unknown Date
- Hello, Mr. I-don't-know-who-you-are-because-you-didn't-sign-your-message-and-I'm-too-lazy-to-check. We over here put our maps together from small elements. I'd like to suggest that you check out the tutorials the Category:Level Design page contains, then move on to learning about what is new in Team Fortress 2 on the page Team Fortress 2 Level Creation. If you are an experienced level designer, which I do believe, you should get it in no time. --Baliame (talk) 07:54, 28 Dec 2007 (PST)
Spawn doors open before setup is finished
I followed the tutorial about doors only opening after setup is complete,but the doors open as soon as i go near them.I have 6 doors that will open so i have created 6 logic_relay entities,i have entered the outputs but as i say the doors open as soon as you go near them,what have i done wrong. —Unsigned comment added by CRAIG.W.HARDY (talk • contribs). Please use four tildes (
~~~~) to sign your username.
- In hammer start those doors as disabled and enable them at setupFinished. I assume you are talking about spawn-room doors. Also, please sign comments, even if you don't have an account.--TheSpacePope 14:19, 22 Jan 2008 (PST)
So, I can spawn either team with any character, but I can't move or change weapons. I'm assuming this is something to do with my info_player_teamspawn. Any ideas? EdificeOrifice 15:24, 18 Feb 2008 (PST)
---Sorry, figured it out. The info_player_teamspawn entities were overlapping another brush. --EdificeOrifice 21:19, 18 Feb 2008 (PST)
Max team_control_point index is 8?
Fiddling around to make a 9-point, 3-round map (3 points per round). When I add the ninth team_control_point entity (Actually copied as part of a trigger, team_control_point and prop_dynamic base model group from an earlier control point set) and then set its index to 8, Steam crashes when I try to test the map. If I simply duplicate the last index (7), the map will run. Of course there are console errors about the index duplication and the entity's ignored, but I can actually run-around in the map (no crash). Is this a bug or and undocumented feature (or have I got something wrong somewhere?)
--M0les 01:15, 25 Jul 2008 (+1000)
Minor map changes between rounds
First let me say that I am relatively new to Hammer (this year) but have worked hard; I can create functional CTF and neutral-cp maps. Linear-goal progression maps are giving me a bit of trouble, though.
In say, dustbowl, Valve gave the offensive team the defending team's last spawn room for the next round if they were victorious. Besides adding a sense of accomplishment, this allowed progression through a long map without tedious add-on spawn rooms and resupply lockers.
My question is, how is the map slightly changed between rounds? For instance, the stairwell next to the defensive spawn of goldrush 1 becomes a wall, and the fence blocking the gates to the next round move to block the first. I see on this tutorial that there are 3 copies of the map, but the defensive players' sprays stay where the offensive players spawn next. Am I missing something or can I genuinely not figure this out?
--Goldenpineapple 12:26, 12 Aug 2008
- I haven't started making maps yet, but I was wondering about that, too. I originally thought they were the same rooms, but I've also noticed that Goldrush changes like that.
- --Powerlord 13:40, 12 Aug 2008 (PDT)
- Probably a func_wall_toggle. The wall that isn't stairs anymore is simply disabled until round 2 starts, then it's enabled and hides the stairs.--Draco18s 03:21, 18 July 2009 (UTC)
Hello, I've followed the guidelines for a single round assault 2 point cp map, but whenever I playtest it, blu team wins by capping the first point, not the second one, even though I've more than triple checked that the round_win entity is tied to the second point, help? -- Payton Tate