"Various features"? I'd like to know WHAT various features. I mean isn't this entity among the most featureless entities? --Andreasen 09:26, 31 Jan 2006 (PST)
well...it's more than func_detail...that's a feature?—ts2do 13:52, 31 Jan 2006 (PST)
I think I recall that func_wall wouldn't saw solid brushes (creating more faces). Is this true of func_brush? Thelonesoldier 23:01, 7 Feb 2007 (PST)
- It is true for any entity...including func_detail which is then compiled into the bsp (it has no load on entity data/networking)—ts2do 08:03, 8 Feb 2007 (PST)
Solidity is weird
Does this entity REALLY replace the func_wall_toggle entity? Sure, the solidity keyvalue has a Toggle setting, but there is no input to turn the solidity on or off. (The Enable and Disable inputs just turns the entire entity on or off.) --Andreasen 12:46, 8 Oct 2006 (PDT)
- No wait, I was being stupid. Hold on... --Andreasen 12:50, 8 Oct 2006 (PDT)
- Okay, this is confusing: While the Always Solid and Never Solid keyvalues determines solidity, the Toggle setting determines if the brush can be removed/added completely with the Enable/Disable values. I don't know if func_wall_toggle worked this way, but this sure wasn't what I expected. --Andreasen 15:42, 8 Oct 2006 (PDT)
I've now discovered another thing: This entity is only solid for NPCs that are named (at least when it comes to spawning NPCs on top of func_brush platforms). --MossyBucket (formerly Andreasen) 09:28, 1 March 2011 (UTC)
func_wall_toggle did work the same way as firing the enable/disable inputs on func_brush. If you want a wall to stay visible, but have the solidity toggle-able, have the wall be a func_brush with its Solidity KV set to Never, then surround it with another func_brush with the Nodraw texture (or one of the clips, depending on what you want to always allow through the wall), and have this be toggled on and off. Sangheili1024 21:58, 18 November 2011 (PST)
I've been doing some experimenting and I think the "Toggle" input works on func_brushes with toggle-able solidity. It's not in the FGD but it seems to act as it should, surprisingly enough. Can anyone confirm this? --MofoMan2000 23:31, 9 May 2013 (PDT)
- The source code for func_brush, at least in the 2013 version, implements Toggle as either enabling or disabling the entity; it does not check whether it is set to be toggle-able. It does check whether it is set to be always or never solid, as follows:
- If solidity is set to always, and the brush is turned off, the brush will remain solid, but be turned invisible.
- If solidity is set to never, and the brush is turned on, the brush will still be non-solid, but be turned visible.
- Basically, if solidity is set to Toggle, solidity and visibility are the same. Otherwise, solidity will always be as set in the keyvalue, whether the brush is visible or not. Solokiller 13:32, 16 July 2013 (PDT)