Space Empires IV Deluxe
This game has received a Metascore® of 79 from Metacritic.
You can research technology, design new ships, wage war on a tactical level, put down rebellions, meet and greet new species, and much more. Additionally, all the level and campaign design tools are included; allowing anyone to become apart of the expansive Space Empires Mod community.
- Pentium Processor
- Windows 98/ME/2000/XP
- 128MB RAM
- 800x600 screen resolution
- 16bit color
- 300 MB hard drive space
- 6X CD-ROM
- DirectX 8.1 or higher, Windows Compatible Sound Card.
Space Empires IV is well-known and loved for the possibilities it offers in the realm of modding. The most important game data files - save for the game code - are .TXT or .BMP files, allowing users to easily modify the files to suit their needs and desires. There exist a great many mods for SEIV, including Star Wars, Star Trek and Babylon 5 mods. There are also a lot of other, non-scifi mods. A complete listing of mods for the game can be found on Malfador Machinations' web site. Several worth mentioning are:
- Proportions: A mod which adds more proportion to the game - as displayed by its title. Here, your homeworld is a very strong world almost impossible to conquer or destroy, whereas colonies are smaller, less effective production locations.
- Pirates & Nomads: This mod adds the Pirate and Nomad race types to the game. Neither has "normal" colonization technology, and can only rely on its homeworld when it comes to planets. They both have efficient space-based technologies, though.
- Devnull Mod: Classic mod which makes various balance related changes to the stock game. Home of the infamous space monsters.
- Carrier Battles Mod: A mod which makes carriers very important due to the wide variety of roles that fighters take on; everything from missile interceptors to dogfighters and anti-ship bombers. Designed mathematically from the ground up to balance the various options, there are very few restrictions; vehicle roles fall naturally as the player makes tradeoffs between engines, armor and the various flavors of weapon.
- Adamant Mod: This mod allows the player to choose from many different technological paths for their empire, ranging from evolutionary based organic races to races which use magic to bend the universe to their will.
- ReDesign Mod: Currently under construction, ReDesign adds a lot of new technologies and modifies the old technologies so that research mainly branches out from expensive but powerful theoretical research.
- Capship: Also under construction, Capship completely modifies not only the hull sizes for ships, which now reach far larger sizes than before, but also uses a completely different ground combat system and fighter combat system.
- Homeworld: A recently started project, the Homeworld Mod attempts to approach the Homeworld games in a large-scale strategic scope.
This game is available for purchase on Steam for $19.95 (USD)