There is a beta version of Counter-Strike 1.6 available for testing. This beta introduces in game advertising. For the duration of the beta default Valve ads will be used, once the feature is released a wider range of advertisements will be present.
Warning: This engine is currently in a testing phase. Running this beta version may cause problems running Half-Life 1 games under Steam. If this is the case, please consider submitting a bug report, describing the problem and its repro steps and your system configuration. You can also disable the Counter-Strike beta by following the instructions in the Switching back to the non-beta engine section below.
Getting the Counter-Strike Beta
To run this beta version you will need to add
-beta cs to your command line when you start Steam. This can be done by opening up the Windows shortcut you use to launch Steam and adding
-beta cs right after
Steam.exe. Please report any bugs or issue you find in this article.
- Open the Steam window.
- Choose Settings from the File menu.
- Click on the Interface tab.
- Uncheck the Run Steam when Windows starts option.
If you wish to have the Counter-Strike Beta launch when Windows starts, you can add a copy of your edited shortcut to the Windows Startup program group, under Start Menu > All Programs > Startup.
- D3D rendering issue fixed
- Small hud images fixed
- Aliasing images on scoreboard/spectator hud fixed
To report any issues you find with the Counter-Strike Beta (and not the regular standard engine and games releases), visit these articles:
- Counter-Strike Beta Bug Reports - Report bugs here.
- Talk:Counter-Strike Beta Bug Reports - Discuss bugs here.
Switching back to the non-beta engine
You can revert to the "non-beta" standard Counter-Strike release by following these steps:
- Exit Steam if it's currently running by right-clicking on the Steam tray icon and choosing Exit.
- Open the Windows shortcut you use to launch Steam and remove
- Launch Steam from the shortcut.
- Re-enable Run Steam when Windows starts option if desired.
- If you also added a modified Steam shortcut to the Windows Startup program group in order to launch the Counter-Strike Beta automatically, it also must be removed or edited.