Worldspawn (or just "the world") is the single entity that stores the noninteractive parts of a map, alongside some global configuration options. In other words:
Some other notes:
- There can be only one. (Since Hammer doesn't allow worldspawn to be created directly it's very difficult for this rule to be broken.) Related to this, do not clone any part of your world after selecting it via map properties. This will duplicate worldspawn, causing crashes. Deselecting after this however and cloning after deselecting will behave as normal.
- Damage from the environment and suicide is ordinarily attributed to the world.
- Constraints can be assigned to worldspawn by not specifying a name for their subject/target.
Tip: Access these properties in Hammer with Main menu > Map > Map properties...
All Source games
- Map Description / Title.
- Map's description / title. Note: Doesn't seem to be used anywhere anymore.
- Chapter Title Message
- Chapter Title that appears on-screen when this level starts.
- Level Fade In
- Fades the map in. Bug: The fade is carried out every time the map loads, including when loading from a saved game. Use env_fade instead.
- Display Game Title
- Should the game's title appear on-screen when the map starts?
- New Level Unit
- Used to clear out savegame data of previous levels to keep the savegame size as small as possible. Only set it to Yes if the player cannot return to any previous levels.
- 0 : No, keep current
- 1 : Yes, clear previous levels
- Max occludee area
- [Used on PC] Prevents occlusion testing for entities that take up more than X% of the screen.
- Min occluder area
- [Used on PC] Prevents occluders from being used if they take up less than X% of the screen.
- Max occludee area (Xbox)
- [Used on 360] Prevents occlusion testing for entities that take up more than X% of the screen.
- Min occluder area (Xbox)
- [Used on 360] Prevents occluders from being used if they take up less than X% of the screen.
- Start Fade Pixels
- Number of pixels wide at which all props in the level start to fade (<0 = use fademaxdist). This number is ignored if the prop has a specific fade distance specified.
- End Fade Pixels
- Minimum number of pixels wide at which the prop is visible (0 = don't fade out). This number is ignored if the prop has a specific fade distance specified.
- Detail.vbsp file
- Detail.vbsp file to use for emitting detail props (found in directory <root>/modname)
- Detail material file
- Material for detail sprites to use for drawing detail props
- World is cold
- If set, Day of Defeat: Source player models will emit breath particles from their mouth attachments. No effect elsewhere.
- The minimum level of ambient light that hits the world. It does not affect any entities, including props!
- Time of day
- Witches will wander if set to "afternoon" otherwise this has no purpose. Note: Doesn't influence lighting or environment in any way. You still need to configure the light_environment so the sun/moon has the appropriate light color and brightness.
- 0 : Midnight
- 1 : Dawn
- 2 : Morning
- 3 : Afternoon
- 4 : Dusk
- 5 : Evening
- Start Music Type
- Music type of the safe room.
- 0 : Mission Start
- 1 : Check Point
- Music Post-Fix String
- The musical theme of the map.
- Paint in map
- Allow paint to cover surfaces? Set to No to save resources for maps that don't use paint.
Note: These two parameters might not appear if you have propper.fgd in hammer.
- Under Water Particles
- underwater_default : Rubbish
- underwater_ion : Blue Ions
- underwater_tentacle_water : Tentacle Shit Water
- Arena Mode Time Limit
- The number of seconds an arena mode map should last. (default: 900s (15 min))