Difference between revisions of "Valve Developer Community talk:Community portal"
|Line 95:||Line 95:|
-Nox13last out yet monitoring-
-Nox13last out yet monitoring-
== Just VALVE could create something like this ==
== Just VALVE could create something like this ==
Revision as of 02:38, 18 February 2008
Geogriffith: I am not entirely sure as to what should go here. But it seemed like a good place to list links to other sites that may be of use to developers.
Solo: I suggest that we make a more centralized table of contents per se... I'm currently scavaging around on the site finding random tidbits of information, but I still can't find what I'm looking for which happens to be how to create breakable glass in CS:S.
Geogriffith: Yeah, that sounds pretty good. This site is going to need a lot of cross referencing before it becomes useful. Oh, and Func_breakable is what you're looking for, btw. This is the HL1 guide, but the entity has the same name in source.
Solo: Good deal, thanks... I think this site would really benefit with a Forum. Well... I don't know how to get to Func_breakable. Is it a brush or an entity?
Super Foul Egg: From a technical standpoint, I recommend locking this page and changing the link to a differently named page if it's going to be converted into something else. Community portal (along with Current events and Help) is one of the main pages that wikibots target when they're spamming, so this page has the potential to be more work than it's worth over long periods. Wikipedia is the origin of nearly all hacks and misuses when it comes to the Mediawiki framework, so the more things that deviate from their way of doing things, the better protected this wiki will be from incidental harm.
(Well, assuming you discount the potential harm of a wiki let loose on the PC gaming community. Oh, god.)
SavannahLion: I disagree Super Foul Egg. Redirecting and renaming links is only a stopgap measure for spambots. Once the spambot maintainer realizes a specific page is innaccessable, a new page would simply be found and abused. What happens then? Another rename and a new link? Forget it. There's a blacklist patch available for MediaWiki that's specifically targeted to stop/resist spambots. Applying the blacklist along with a variation of an autoban system, means a Spambot only manages to hit one page at best and only once. With careful and judicious additions to the Blacklist, the bots paid for by those advertisers are never able to hit twice. Hiding the blacklist to only admin and moderators prevents spammers from finding what's been blacklisted. I've been happy with the results on my own Wiki, I see no reason something similar can't be applied here if it isn't already.
if your looking for breakable glass tutorials, or any other tutorial, be sure to visit http://www.hl2mapping.com, it contains tutorials, downloads and a community for mappers and modders alike! That goes for everybody else who needs some help too ;)
I changed the list quite a bit, hope you don't mind. It's much easier to navigate now and has more information. --[[User:Tom Edwards|Tom Edwards]] 08:40, 28 Jun 2005 (PDT)
Isn't CGTalk a bit generic?
I have added the "Other pages section", the idea its to list other pages with lots of links. You see stickied forums post everywhere with interesting links, but you dont want to polute this pages with these linkes, and well... linking that sites its a good way to give him credits for that work. --Tei
I have taken out some copyrighted texture material site out, we should keep it clean. and keep it alphabetical plz... jaboo224
Added mayang.com to the list they have a decent amount of general textures in high res. --KillahSin
Should we include HL1 content?
Or is this a strictly HL2/source SDK wiki?
- I see no reason not to include HL1 content. Since the VERC is is essentially not going to be added to anymore, this is the only "official" site for HL1 modding. --Geogriffith
Stop adding hl1 mods....
- There is no reason why this can't be a useful place for Half-Life 1 support/information, the site will be what you all make of it. Personally, I would prefer that there is a clean visual distintion for a viewer when they are reading a page to know what platform they are reading about (or searching for). Erik Johnson
- Surely the icons make that possible? -Zevensoft
I've been adding information to the TFC entery(Link?) - Mooga
Wow!.. great work!.. now its much more nice and clean! --Tei
This, which is located under Mapping, should be translated into English: Сайт про маппинг для Half-life2 на русском! -Kodak 13:20, 25 Aug 2006 (PDT)
- 1 Help, My BSP ain't compiling!
- 2 Just VALVE could create something like this
- 3 No response
- 4 Creating realtime cut scenes
- 5 Hammer Crashing
- 6 Translating Tutorials into German language
- 7 am I just missing this somewhere?
- 8 Hammer Idea
- 9 Flawed math?
- 10 Mod pages
- 11 Admin noticeboard
- 12 Surviving Next-Gen Modding
- 13 Down Link(s)
- 14 Should we make a TGA video recording tutorial?
- 15 Purpose of this page?
- 16 No idea
- 17 Any one here ???
- 18 Snippets?
- 19 Moving entity
- 20 Mountappfilesystem error...
- 21 Need Help with somthing
- 22 Help: Source SDK can only see HL2 TF2 and Portal, but iw ant to work with CSS
- 23 Hammer Editor issue
Help, My BSP ain't compiling!
I have made a better-standard "BreakWall" map on Hammer (for those of you who don't know what BreakWall is, you have to break through breakable walls to get elsewhere (like that game - Red Faction)). I have gone through it, and for some reason, I press the compile button, then OK, the compile logger comes up, then at the bottom it said "Copy File Command C:/MAP DIRECTORIES/Nox13last_Breakwalls.bsp"
But The BSP doesn't appear, and if the DONT RUN GAME IF CHECKED checkbox is unchecked, the game would load up, and simply take to the Main Menu.
I've asserted that the problem isn't too many entities, and it's not leaking thats the problem, so what is it, I need help bad please!
-Nox13last out yet monitoring-
Just VALVE could create something like this
I´d like to thank Valve for this site... You are the best! Thanks for the game and thanks for provide us SDK with great quality and special attention!
Joel Rodrigues São Paulo, Brazil.
- Ta bom Joel, legal ;-) Tchau --wisemx 04:17, 7 Jul 2005 (PDT)
I don't really understand the concept of this all.. how is this better then websites and forums? And what keeps someone from just erasing everything? --YamahaAlex37
- Try reading the Wikipedia article on Wiki and see if you understand. --AndrewNeo 22:28, 6 Jul 2005 (PDT)
- I was able to help Alex in the VERC forums and I worked on his elevator, it's fine now. --wisemx 04:14, 7 Jul 2005 (PDT)
Who said that this page will be more usefull than websites or forums. It's just a place for us so we don't need to search for hours. you want to find sth you are coming here.
I want to code a Serverwatch tool. I use VB.NET and an UDPClient. WHen i send the command A2S_INFO i receive no data. Why???? Can anybody help me????
PLZ parse some codesnippets.
Creating realtime cut scenes
I am animating a realtime cut scene for school entirely in Softimage xsi and was wondering how I would go about getting it into HL2. I would do all of the environments,cameras and animations in xsi but the special fx in hammer. Can someone point me in the right direction.
Oh and I was also wondering for env fire how to use a color or alpha input?
Hiyaz, everytime i try to browse thru entitys it crash's i insert object, right click propertys, world model, browse when i click browse it crash's please any ideas would be greatly accepted>>> Thanks
maybe hammer's looking in the wrong directory, check your preferences -InvaderZim
Mine just started doing the same thing today (March 15, 2007) - my preferences are exactly the same as they were yesterday when it worked. Any ideas? -dmGremlin
Translating Tutorials into German language
Hi everybody, i'd like to translate the Tutorials into the german language. Therefore i want to create new Articles. What do you think about it?
- I like the idea, and I've been talking with Greg about adding translations. I created Translations page to discuss about it in details. --RumikoHoshino
am I just missing this somewhere?
This probably is'nt the best page to ask it, but im trying to make a short single player campaign, and cant find anywhere how to set up the level progression. when i run the mod game, the console says something about 'maplist.txt' (which, i might add it informs me it cannot locate)
basically when you press 'new game' i would like levels to show up instead of a blank menu
if this really wasnt the place to ask, directing me to a better page will be just as apreciated :)
Is it just me, or does having a tool in hammer to convert brushes into a model seem like a good idea? Considering how most objects in HL1 which were brush based (chairs, racks) are now models, it would help all those experienced HL1 mappers who don't have modelling skills.
Does the Programming section really need a link and overly long description to a debate on controversial math? --wisemx 04:35, 20 Sep 2005 (PDT)
- Are you referring to the link I posted Trigonometry Redefined without Sines And Cosines. I put that link there because it is always good to know of alternative ways to do math/programming, and it may help spread the word about this new way of doing trig. --Created by: X 10:00, 20 Sep 2005 (PDT)
- Yes, it doesn't even link to an article, just debates and ads for the book. --wisemx 13:19, 20 Sep 2005 (PDT)
- The link (and even the sample chapter) doesn't provide enough information to be useful to, say, a mapper messing with the vertex tool. All the link is accomplishing is advertising the book. On the other hand, a link to a website that teaches (very) basic trig might occasionally be useful to a few people. But rarely, I expect. —Maven (talk) 16:32, 20 Sep 2005 (PDT)
- Agreed --wisemx 17:20, 20 Sep 2005 (PDT)
Is there a VALVe policy or community consensus about how much and what kinds of information should be present on this wiki about mods? Certainly some sort of guidelines would be useful in disputes such as this one. I'm concerned that, without something to point to, this wiki will eventually become a free auxiliary website for ill-considered mods in the I-just-need-a-coder-and-a-modeler stage. —Maven (talk) 16:58, 3 Oct 2005 (PDT)
- Can we at least agree on a policy of "no more than one page per mod"? —Maven (talk) 20:52, 5 Oct 2005 (PDT)
- Nevermind. This subject seems to have already been settled at Category talk:HL2 Third Party Mods. —Maven (talk) 12:27, 20 Oct 2005 (PDT)
Is there a place for things (notices, requests, etc) that admins should read? I'm thinking specifically of something like Wikipedia's Wikipedia:Administrators' noticeboard. Maybe a Valve Developer Community:Administrators' noticeboard? (Nothing like that in VDC namespace so far.) —Maven (talk) 12:25, 20 Oct 2005 (PDT)
- I was thinking about bots, the SQL spew, and deletion requests... but, yeah, now that you mention it, ban requests too. —Maven (talk) 14:37, 20 Oct 2005 (PDT)
Well, I don't think the admins jump in unless they have to, but it would be a good idea to have a page for notices to them. I say make it. And continue with the very wiki friendly approach of majority votes and reasoned consensus on problems and issues. It's working so far. --Spektre1 17:34, 20 Oct 2005 (PDT)
It would also be a handy place to list locked pages that need changes (links to their Talk pages only, rather than cluttering up the noticeboard with the actual changes). Eg, Talk:Building MODs with Valve Technology. —Maven (talk) 11:30, 21 Oct 2005 (PDT)
Seems reasonable. --JeffLane 17:44, 21 Oct 2005 (PDT)
Surviving Next-Gen Modding
There's currently a good discussion going on over at ModDB about how mod teams might cope with the pressure of current and next-gen development. I'd like to invite VDC members over, seeing as we include some experienced names and Valve's design philosophy is playing a sizable part in the conversation. Here's the link:
Azrael - Shouldn't hl2modcentral.com be removed from the list? Just currently the websites domain has expired so it is no use.
- Is modhelp.net temporary down á la hl2modcentral.com or what? --Jurgen Knops 09:59, 24 Mar 2006 (PST)
Does that CSS single player thing really belong in the cross purpose section? It has nothing to do with that at all. I think that the person running the mod is just using this page for free publicity--something that this page is not meant for.
I think someone should delete that.
Removed—ts2do 21:57, 24 Mar 2006 (PST)
Should we make a TGA video recording tutorial?
I'm not sure if everyone knows about it, but Source has a built-in method of recording footage into an AVI file. I could've missed it somewhere in the articles, but if it's not there, I'd be happy to make the article. Here's my version at the Garry's Mod wiki. (the Take Footage section) http://gmwiki.garry.tv/index.php/Moviemaking
- Interesting, didn't know it was possible at that way... Maybe it has better performance then Fraps. Of course, using Fraps is handier but it isn't free... --dutchmega 02:47, 19 May 2006 (PDT)
Purpose of this page?
I'm curious: what is the intended purpose of this page? The text at the top of it suggests it's an alternative entry page to the Wiki (different from SDK Docs), but then the rest of the page functions as an exit page, encouraging you to leave the Wiki. Does anyone actually find this huge, tangled list of links useful, or is it time to break the page apart and give it some more structure and focus? --Giles 06:26, 15 Jun 2006 (PDT)
Hi im not sure if i should be posting in this place if im not then sorry but here goes ive been working on the turret and basicly is has this door that comes up out of it then you go down press a chain of buttons and it fires at the end...Boom! So i find my self thinking well at the end of that day thats pritty naf if it cant move so i startet trying to make it move but i can see no way in making this move i mean move in that way like in opposing force where you get on that morter and aim the thing around and blow stuff up. Im Pritty sure there is no easy solution to this can any one shed som light on my situation i would be very grateful thanks.
Ps I need it to fire somthing as well ( next challange ) :( Thanks Bravo228
Any one here ???
seems like the whole community has just abandoned this site please post so i know im not the only one still here Thanks Richy
This was an idea on the VERC forums recently about having a code archive, or snippet library. Considering the Wiki probably isn't really designed for that (at least, its not as customizable as other things), do people think having a snippets system (http://www.wraiyth.com/snippets) would be good, or just create a Code Snippets category and work on a bit of organisation here, even for very simple code? Wraiyth 01:29, 28 Feb 2007 (PST)
Im confused as to how to make a moving entity like in CS:S most zombie maps include things like vending machines to server a purpose of a blockade. It just so happens that I want to do exactly that and i'm confused as to how to do that. If someone could help me that would be nice
Thanks, uberdood929 Contact at steam-- uber_dood Contact at email-- [email protected]
It would be possible to add like an Internet site, the possiblity to put the résulats wars. And on the cat of the community, one sees the bars of volumes well moving, but one do not understand anything the whole.
Every time I compile and try to run my map I'm making for Garry's Mod, I get "MountAppFilesystem() failed: SteamMountAppFilesystem(215,19, 9x11d6fd74) failed with error 21: A different version of this FS is already in use"
I've configured everything according to how the Garrysmod site tells me too, as well as tried all the suggestions I could find so far, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but if anyone knows a fix please let me know.
Need Help with somthing
Ok It seems to me that Hammer does not support Dual Core becouse when i try and compile a map, and not a very big one, the CPU usage goes straight to a 100% and it just stops and wount respond, so if there is a way to enable Duel Core on hammer or maybe im doing something wrong can some one please help me out and give me some advice, Email me at [email protected]
and if i posted this in the wrong place sorry. my first wiki post
Help: Source SDK can only see HL2 TF2 and Portal, but iw ant to work with CSS
Ive been trying to fix this for a while now but i just cant put my finger on it. Ive been trying to get Source SDK to be able to see CSS but it wont. Ive had my pc reformatted twice but i think its the account, any help?
Open the launch options of the SDK and add "-engine ep1" (without the quotes) Solokiller 04:21, 22 Dec 2007 (PST)
Hammer Editor issue
Hi, I'm an old/new hammer editor user, i created some maps for practice a couple years ago and then got busy. I just loaded it up again today and SDK won't give me the option to use the counter strike settings for the game content. I went in and set it up manually with the intructions on the site, but it freezes anytime I try to start working in the editor, does anyone know of a fix for this? Or am I out of luck until the next update. Oh, and when i was using the editor before I didn't have the orange box. I recently loaded that on and I think that's where it's pulling it's content from.
- Please sign your posts, by using the following characters: --~~~~. Regarding your question, your issue might be the same as this one, this other one or even this one right above this post (!!!) (they're all the same issue). If that really is your problem, then basically the SDK is set to edit OrangeBox content (as you suspect) and what you need to do is just tell the SDK to launch with the "engine -ep1" parameter, so it will be set to use the tools earlier to the last update.
- Regarding this talk page, why has it become a place to ask questions? Perhaps these last few items (the questions) should be moved to the Help Desk (answered questions) archive, no? I'll do it in a few days, if no one opposes. --Etset 16:26, 20 Jan 2008 (PST)