Valve Developer Community:Community portal
Welcome to the Valve Developer Community! From here on in you can forget Valve - every page you see with an edit tab, including this one, is likely written or at least altered by someone in the community (though Valve staff are sometimes among them). If you want to do the same, go right ahead! Otherwise, take a look at the Categories or run a search to find what you want.
- 1 Recommended sites
- 1.1 Cross-Purpose and General Development
- 1.2 Mapping
- 1.3 Map Archives
- 1.4 Modelling
- 1.5 Content Design Tools
- 1.6 Programming
- 1.7 Resources
- 1.8 Other
- 1.9 Steam Applications
This is a list of alternate resource sites for Source games in alphabetical order. It is by no means complete but please, if you add to it keep to decent sites and do not link to simple map download databases. (Can editors please stop placing their websites at the top of the listing, place websites in the alphabetical order that they should be in.)
Cross-Purpose and General Development
- C-SEC - Japanese Source modding and mapping development site, including with translated many SDK documents to Japanese.
- Game-Advance.net - Very small new modding community. Focus is on source engine, but forums exist for non-source modding as well. Hosts modding projects.
- Gamedesign.net - Some helpful modding and mapping tutorials.
- Handy Vandal's Almanac - One of the original top editing resource sites for Half Life, contains some HL2 info. Linked to in Worldcraft's help menu.
- HL2World.com - Half Life 2 Knowledge Base
- hl.tozcentral.net - Half Life and Half-Life 2 resource, Post your own bots, maps, media, mods and tutorials
- Interlopers.net - News and general resources
- Leak-Free - A Source Engine Development Community.
- Error Listing - A comprehensive listing of Hammer 3/4 errors and solutions.
- Mapcore - A great place to get mapping, modelling and texture help from industry pros.
- Mod Database - Free listings of mods for almost every moddable game. A great database full of tons of information on mods that are out there.
- Mod HQ - Comprehensive news resource for Half-Life 2 modifications and Steam related content in general.
- Modhelp.net - A developing modding community.
- Nem's Tools - Several useful Source tools including GCFScape
- The Snarkpit - Mapping and modelling community site
- Sourceblog - General tutorials (Many on Texturing/Skinning)
- SourceWiki - Unofficial and older Source Wiki
- TWHL - Mapping community and tutorial site, mostly HL1.
- VERC - Valve Editing Resource Collective. This site's predecessor, which offers primarily HL1 resources (Official)
- Wavelength - One of the original sources of HL1 editing material, now steadily servicing HL2
- Wunderboy.org - Several useful Source tools including VTFTool
- aKilling - Source engine Tutorials and Files (Community support)
- Custom Source Tools - Source Mapping Compile Tools - Faster, and more helpful with errors over the V Tools (Includes 64bit, and Linux versions)
- DispEd - Precise displacement editor used to make geometric shapes in the style of "Quake 3 patches."
- Edit Life - Mapping articles, entity list, error documentation and forums
- Half-wit 2 - Another collection of Mapping tutorials
- Hl2Mapping.com - A Friendly helpful, mapping community.
- zombies Optimizing-page information on optimizing your map
- zombie's *Edited* Optimization Page An in-depth guide to optimizing your maps.
- I Wanna Map - You wanna map, We wanna help. For Tutorials and help
- Shammers Forums - A small community, with a couple of useful tutorials.
- Madedog's E-Portal - A small amount of great step-by-step tutorials.
- RobotChaos Map Making Tutorial - Along with a few other things (Sprays, etc.) - Has a small ever building step by step tutorial on making maps taken from a beginner's perspective.
- The Ascendancy - What you're trying to live up to. Database of the very best HL2DM maps.
- CSM2 - Map Downloads,Tutorials and mapping help forums.
- LanManiaX - The largest map database for HL\HL2.
- 17buddies - French community of gamers - Map Downloads, tools .
- Cannonfodder's Tools - 3DSMax Importers and Exporters, Dispgen - Displacement Terrains from heightmaps, StudioCompiler - Model/Texture Compiler/Decompiler, winBSPzip - BSP Packer
- CG Talk The largest and most useful model discussion/news site on the internet.
- Insects Infestation - II SDK modeling Export models to Source engine tutorials for 3DSMax, Maya, MS3D, XSI, FRAG.
- RnL Forums' Lightwave Plugins - Lightwave mesh export plugins. Not currently available, but may be in the future.
Content Design Tools
Image Creation and Editing
- Adobe Photoshop - The standard image editing tool in the industy, used by professionals all over the world. Very expensive.
- Adobe Photoshop Elements - Low-cost, consumer version of Photoshop with high-end features such as colour management removed.
- The GIMP - Completely free, open source image editing software available for Windows, Linux, Mac OS X and other UNIX operating systems. Complex to use, but powerful, scriptable and endlessly modifiable.
- Paint Shop Pro - A cheap alternative to Adobe Photoshop. For those who don't want to break the bank.
- Wally - Simple and dumb freeware texture/decals/skining editing program.
3D Modelling, Animation and Rendering
- 3D Studio Max - Powerful tool for modeling and animation, one of the industry's best. Expensive.
- Gmax - Free modeling tool, without the rendering tools of 3D Studio Max.
- Blender - Free, open source modeling, animation, rendering, post-production, interactive creation and playback library/engine/IDE.
- Maya 3D - Excellent modeling and animation package. Considered to be one of the best among modders. Also expensive.
- Wings3D - Free, open source Nendo-alike natural modeling IDE.
- Softimage|XSI - Program used to make models & animations for HL2. XSI Mod Tool is available for FREE.
- Lightwave 3D - Excelent modelling & animation tool.
- Milkshape3D - Low cost, popular and simple to use 3D modelling program.
- Hl2 Coding - Has some good hl2 related coding tutorials and has great forums for coders to chat.
- Vector Math - dot product, cross product, mixed product
Content for your project.
- Animax.it - Free textures.
- Image * After - 10,000+ free images and textures.
- Oyonale - Small library of source photos suitable for turning into textures, courtesy of Gilles Tran.
- Mayang.com Textures - Free textures for your maps and mods.
- Moddb texture site directory - Directory of free, ready to use game textures.
- MorgueFile - Free, high-resolution stock photography.
Other pages that may be of interest.
- Game Design Theory - Interesting for art directors, team leaders
- GuildHall - Teaching the arts and sciences of digital game development.
- Ken Birdwell's Gamasutra article - The Cabal: Valve’s Design Process For Creating Half-Life (registration required)
- 3d.sk - Human Photo References for 3D Artists and Game Developers (large source -partly free)
- TextureRef.com - Online repository of Texturekits and high-res Photo References for Artists (small source - partly free)