VMF to SMD
|VMF to SMD|
|Date||4 Nov 2013|
|Prerequisites||.NET Framework 4.0|
VMF to SMD (V2) is a rather simple program, which is effectively a "Map to Model" converter. It can convert Valve Map Files or Generic Maps to reference Studio Model Data files, for use with Valve's Studio Model Compiler.
This tool is aimed mainly at mappers, who want to create large-scale surrounding models for their maps. It is also aimed at modellers, who want to start off from a simple, Hammer-generated map-scale model, and carry on with the details from there. I also understand that many find map editors much easier to work with than model editors. However, anyone who has use for this application should by all means use it.
- Support for Generic Map files — Supports the Generic Map format (used mainly in Goldsource map editors). Note that options will change depending on which file-type is opened.
- Choose unwanted materials/textures — Choose the materials/textures you wish the converter to disregard, meaning that all faces with that material/texture will not be converted to triangles.
- Convert material/texture alignment info — Choose whether or not to convert the material/texture alignment information. If selected, it is necessary that you choose a Materials/Textures Folder, because the dimensions of the materials/textures used are required for converting between the two types (UV vectors & shifts to UV coordinates).
- Copy materials/textures — Copy the materials/textures found to the specified folder, with their new names (for VMFs, only .VMT files will be copied, as you can modify those to refer to the original .VTF files or create new ones). NOTE: This only copied the base files for the material - so materials with more than a base .VTF in the .VMT will not be fully copied.
- Remove material sub-folders — Eliminates the sub-folders in VMF material names (as valve models do not permit them).
- Rename materials with same names — Renames materials with the same file names, to avoid conflict when in the same folder.
- Calc Error — In the event of non-material/texture related errors, try increasing this value. I advise a value between 0.01 and 0.00001. Lower values improve the precision of the calculations, higher values allow for larger error in the map's plane data. If the map contains only plane vertices with integer coordinates, I advise this to be set close to its maximum value for the lowest chance of error. If you still receive errors, try removing the most complicated and/or large objects from the map.
- 2.0.1 — Fixed a bug where the program would not read material/texture files from filesystem.
- 2.0.0 — Added options for VMF material names. Moved all basic conversion errors to a log file, with a notification & link at the end. Added support for reading materials/textures from GCF, VPK and WAD files (using HLLib v2.4.3). Improved (and compacted) GUI (+ updated icon). Streamlined material/texture alignment conversion code. General code cleanup.
- 1.1.0 — Fixed a lot of bugs, including errors in .VMT reading. Made dev/ textures auto-select when reading .VMFs. Improved the conversion method (brush corners are now calculated, rather than assumed to be plane-defining points). Added a 'Calculation Error' field, which should help solve most errors that occur. Also, fixed some bugs in the .VMF reading.
- 1.0.0 — Initial release.