Please don't edit the archives.
- Archive 1 -- 10 October 2006
- Archive 2 -- 2 February 2008
- Archive 3 -- 21 January 2009
- Archive 4 -- 27 July 2009
- Archive 5 -- 20 July 2010
VDC as vanity page
I've noticed User:Kostya is turning this wiki into his own vanity website, uploading an absurd number of images (see also Kostya's_Mod). Is this forbidden? I can't really find any rules about anything anywhere, except references to Wikipedia rules, where such behavior would be strictly forbidden. EDIT:In the meantime, I've been writing up Help and guideline articles, so that we actually have help and guideline articles, but I've avoided this specific subject for the time being because I'm not sure about it and you're the closest thing to official input that's available. Thelonesoldier 22:05, 27 September 2010 (UTC)
- In general, we give people some latitude with their own userspace. However, the site is not a blog host or a file repository and should not be used for that. There are simply better sites for those use cases. --JeffLane 01:03, 2 October 2010 (UTC)
Delete a duplicate image?
Hi, I uploaded an image here File:NVidia_EnableAO.PNG, but apparently two copies were uploaded (I really don't know how that happened, I only clicked upload once). On the wiki two copies are only different in that one of the has the PNG capitalized and the other doesn't. Could you delete one of them? Thanks. Thelonesoldier 23:35, 28 September 2010 (UTC)
- There was something seriously messed up with that file. I deleted the existing version, so you'll have to re-upload it and see if that works. Try using a lowercase extension, that is preferable. --JeffLane 01:11, 2 October 2010 (UTC)
- Thanks, I didn't use uppercase the first time but the duplicate ended up with it.
- Would it be possible to appoint someone with partial administrative powers to start pruning things on the massive list of problem content, some of which have been waiting to be deleted for years? Thelonesoldier 11:34, 11 October 2010 (UTC)
- Also, you should probably delete this: File:Bxd.jpg File:Bxd.jpg Thelonesoldier 19:56, 11 October 2010 (UTC)
- lol. Clearly not the best. But gently and calmly explaining to you why the article doesn't meet proper criteria wasn't enough. Even though I made over 3 points as to why this was the case. Your inability to understand that was the result of how that talk page grew to it's size. Rightly so it has nothing to do with how I behaved, but afterall you seemed to be "thinking with hurr". You still are.
- Anyways yess, in case this does become a problem for you and I didn't even wish to include you (was going to talk to Tom Edwards instead - way to go Lonesolder) I put up a delete tag for a Ambient occlusion article about two weeks ago. Sometime at least at the end of November. My first reasoning to having done this was: "Sorry but unless this is an actual shader you can use, or if this article would to present some way or form of shader authoring to achieve this effect it's worthless. Anyone can read about SSAO anywhere else, and this even includes wikipedia". I Understood I wasn't entirely clear, but as required later I went on to reply and post up a few points as to why this isn't something we should have up on the wiki. This article was like the equivalent of talking about AA, or some other form of rendering thats almost in any engine. It's nothing really source specific, and something mappers do not have to care/concern about. While it's cool and fancy and all, thats not a reason why an article should stay on the VDC. Anyways obviously as seen in the talk page my points weren't getting through to them, and they insisted on arguing that nothing was wrong on the page. I eventually went on to ask the original author to either re-write the page to be useful, or provide perhaps some information on how to author a Ambient Occlusion shader. I went through all the main steps of making points, asking for a clean up/re-write etc before I completely lost hope in Humanity and no longer wanted to live on this Planet. But I don't apologize for my behavior. If lonesolder wants to go and play daddy's girl to you then so be it. But I calmly went through the needed steps before going south.--Gear 03:10, 13 December 2010 (UTC)