Re: The one page
I just wanted to bring to your attention that we already have a tutorial on how to make simple maps, to save you spending your time reproducing one. See Your_First_Map. Thanks for contributing, though, and welcome to the VDC. :) Giles 04:40, 13 Apr 2006 (PDT)
- i know, but i want to contribut... and its step-by-step, which i find easier to use, and will probabaly help others. and i used the my_first_map (was it that?) myself just yesterday. im doing this page for myself and my friends and anyone else inbetween. Game4ever
- Okay, just giving you a heads-up, but if you already knew, that's cool. I'll let you get on with writing it. :) Giles 04:53, 13 Apr 2006 (PDT)
Explosions and pitched roofs
umm i ended my page- gets bored too easily any1 got any advice on makin explosions without loads of "specialised" (i.e. having to go through a series of windows etc) thanx plz leeve comment @ mi page please and does any1 kno how to make pitched rooves? ans @ mi page please
- For explosions, you will want an env_explosion entity. For pitched roofs, you will want to be using the clip tool and the vertex manipulation tool. You might find the Abstract Mapping page useful - it tries to categorise things according to their real world equivalents. It can be easier to find what you are looking for there than wading through the list of entities.
- Also, you might find the VERC forums useful, since they have more people on hand to answer questions (whereas this is mostly just a resource for browsing). Giles 05:12, 18 Apr 2006 (PDT)
my hl2 map wont work- as soon as it is finished compiling it says:hl2 has enountered a problem and needs to close...
Dude! Learn to write a decent message
It's just horrible to read your messages... -- dutchmega
- In my opinion we should make him a problem poster if he keeps causing trouble... --Vaarscha 10:00, 24 Apr 2006 (PDT)
About your messages
I thought I would pop by your talk page and try and explain why people are getting annoyed with your contributions.
A Wiki isn't like a normal message board or chat room or website or anything like that. It's about a group of people working together to create a collection of information on a topic. With that in mind, there are two things (and, I think, only two things) that matter:
- 1) The quality of the information available to those reading the Wiki.
- 2) How easily the people reading the Wiki can find that information.
The first important thing to know, with these points in mind, is that you shouldn't take personal offence from anything relating to what you do on the Wiki. There just isn't anything to be gained by getting angry or upset.
The second point is that because these are the only two things that matter, it does matter how you write your messages. It's absolutely fine to talk however you want on your User page and on people's talk pages. The problem is that when it comes to everything else, a certain standard of presentation has to be followed to keep the quality of information high. While the texting/MSN style you use seems perfectly natural to you, to people who are older than you, it's difficult to read. It makes you come across badly because of this. When you use it on proper Wiki pages, it makes the Wiki come across badly.
With regards your Creating Doors page, it was flagged for deletion because there are already other pages that do that job, as indicated by the link to Doors. To have duplicate pages on the Wiki is confusing for people trying to find the information they want, so having a second page about doors breaks the 2nd rule above.
Giles 13:47, 24 Apr 2006 (PDT)
Why did you post that nasty message?
Why did you post that nasty message on my talk page? I could barely understand it. Who are you? I don't think I have ever contacted you or edited any of your pages. If you have a problem, please state it in a clear and concise manner and reference what you are talking about.
--General Eskimo User_talk:Generaleskimo