Wikis are great. I get to correct everyone else's grammatical errors! :-]
And Metastasis is being worked on as I type - I've just started up Teh Hammre specially for you... --Cargo Cult 11:48, 11 Jul 2005 (PDT)
- Just for lil old me?! Awwww! --- Campaignjunkie 13:40, 11 Jul 2005 (PDT)
- Was a bit tired of yet another combine soldier assault, so I removed it. There's now a non-gameplay, hyper-atmospheric dropship swooping by. Ace! --Cargo Cult 00:59, 12 Jul 2005 (PDT)
dog must be redone with an ingame screenshot because he has ropes -ts2do
I got teh hammre, i can mkaw teh HL2 maps nwo! --05:54, 16 Jul 2005 (PDT)
- I'm kind of glad it's not linked directly to my site - have you seen the pageviews? :-o --Cargo Cult 11:29, 16 Jul 2005 (PDT)
- Oh no. Too many pageviews!!111 What a terrible problem!11 May I be cursed in a similar manner!1!1... Though, in all likelihood, a lot of it is probably search engine bots. Good luck on toppling the main page though! ;) --- Campaignjunkie 11:35, 16 Jul 2005 (PDT)
- Search engine spiders? Yeah, right - this is people visiting, I'm sure!
- My brain hasn't quite taken it in yet. If this is the response to a titchy little screenshot or two, who knows what it'll be like when I release the damn thing. There seems to be a lot of HL2 players out there... --Cargo Cult 12:18, 16 Jul 2005 (PDT) (PS: Want to beta-test?)
Have sent out emails with a link to teh Metastasis test version. I'm sure it'll be horrifically broken, so please inform me as soon as possible if that's the case... ;-] --Cargo Cult 14:48, 17 Jul 2005 (PDT)
- Thanks for outlining the route for me! The arrows work well, even if they're not fancy gradient things. ;) --Campaignjunkie (talk) 18:23, 9 Nov 2005 (PST)
Just thought of another gameplay construct - I call it the 'bounce'. The simplest version would be a long corridor with a switch at the end of it, where the player has to go to that switch, press it then return to where they started (where perhaps a door has unlocked, with enemies or whatever appearing on the player's way back). An example would be the Route Kanal level in HL2 where you get off the boat and wander off to break the lock-gates open with a battering ram, then return again. Oh, and there's probably one in Metastasis too! --Cargo Cult (info, talk) 16:15, 9 Nov 2005 (PST)
- Hmm, that's a good point. Technically, I guess it's kind of a cousin of a loop. It has some of the same advantages: reusing the same location again, and the player definitely knows where to go. While lots of players look down on backtracking, I think it's notable because of the relative ease of implementation as long as the "bounce" is kept either interesting or short, as in Metastasis. I'll start a stub for now and fill it in later (or anyone else is welcome to do so, of course) --Campaignjunkie (talk) 18:23, 9 Nov 2005 (PST)
- It's much more notable in larger versions, such as the beginning of the original Half-Life - essentially what happens there is that you go through the labs, press a button (or two) in the test chamber and return again, but with the presence of assorted aliens and blocked paths to contend with. This construct is everywhere when you know how to look... --Cargo Cult (info, talk) 03:01, 10 Nov 2005 (PST)
- You got me. Only thing is, Anomalous Materials and Metastasis are going to be difficult to diagram! :) --Campaignjunkie (talk) 11:20, 10 Nov 2005 (PST)
For a diagram of pacing, you can show a path with circled areas and label them—ts2do 15:58, 21 Jan 2006 (PST)
Can you add me at MSN/Gtalk/whatever? See my userpage for adresses --dutchmega 15:07, 29 Jul 2006 (PDT)
- Are you working on any mods? --dutchmega 17:12, 29 Jul 2006 (PDT)
I had some complaints...
...but I lost the reasons for them. =) (I checked your other edits and they're fine.) --Andreasen 05:44, 6 Aug 2006 (PDT)
I'm not to sure if you've taken a look in there User:Angry_Beaver/Sandbox. But part of what I'm writing is a guide for level design, of course level flow is a huge factor in that. I mention it in a sort of offhand way and Link to an article that doesn't exsist Level Flow I was wondering if you could take the time to make the link go somewhere. the only reason I ask is you seem to have a better grasp on it and be doing some of it already. If its too much to ask sure I'll whip something up myself or find something vaugley similar to link to, but if you could I'd appricate it. Thanks --Angry Beaver 14:36, 26 Nov 2006 (PST)
Oh, shut up, Robert. I can't add information I don't know. God forbid we actually have useful information on the site so you elitists can't feel better than everyone else. Thelonesoldier 23:53, 17 Feb 2007 (PST)
- The ambient generic is just an example. All the entity articles I've looked at are like that. But I don't think I ever seriously used ambient_generics in HL1. The point is that the article is worthless because 99% of it is copied verbatim from Hammer, so the only people who need it already have it in a much easier to access location. Thelonesoldier 17:03, 18 Feb 2007 (PST)
- I think you underestimate the usefulness of having data easily to hand. Look at how many pages link to ambient_generic. When I am researching something and read about a specific entity, I don't want to have to scroll through Hammer to find more information. I like being able to open a half dozen tabs with a bunch of different entities, look at them all side by side, and then plan my attack, before going into Hammer and executing that plan. Different people have different working methodologies, and I'm sorry for you that what's here doesn't seem to fit with yours. If you want to provide more specific information about how the Wiki could be more helpful to you, then I imagine someone will be willing to try and help out. --Giles 13:19, 19 Feb 2007 (PST)
In this article, you changed
Note that the only rendering modes (set by its rendermode keyvalue) that can render a sprite properly, are Glow, Additive, Additive Fractional Frame and World Space Glow. See Render Modes for more info.
The most common render modes are: Glow, Additive, Additive Fractional Frame and World Space Glow.
I have a problem with the word "common" here. Can you name any sprite that uses any other rendering mode than these? The other modes are unable to render the sprite alpha. --Andreasen 17:12, 12 Feb 2008 (PST)