Difference between revisions of "User Interface Bugs"
(Moved items from bugs to fixed category in t)
|Line 9:||Line 9:|
''Fri October 7th, 2005''
''Fri October 7th, 2005''
We've just released an update to the beta which fixes many issues, including some of those listed below. Restart Steam (using the same command line as above) to get the changes.
We've just released an update to the beta which fixes many issues, including some of those listed below. Restart Steam (using the same command line as above) to get the changes. -- [[User:GregCoomer|Greg]]
Revision as of 15:15, 7 October 2005
- Text wrapping issue on labels, some text still appears to be cut off by a pixel or two (purchase case)
- Pausing preload of RDKF didn't appear to work, still kept downloading (as shown in pre-load status dialog)
- "Pause pre-loading" is still visible on the right-click-menu even if the preload is complete. ( test on RDKF )
- Add delete app in context menu
- Pre-order now button on preload dialog should minimize the preload dialog, currently hides store
- Support button changes to minigameslist, after going to mini-games list once
- Purchase summary dialog has list going off the bottom of the page
- Purchase summary dialog has "Steam Account" and the account name wrapping when they shouldn't
- first-time install says 'updating', not 'dowloading'
- Starting up the SDK says "Prepairing to play Source SDK..." Saying "play" with a tool is.... weird.
- If on the main window you move it so most of it hangs off the screen and then you click View > Switch to mini games list, when it does so, the mini games list appears off the screen. You need to restart Steam to get it back.
- Double-clicking the edge of a column in the Servers window resizes the column to the minimum width needed for the header to display fully, not for the longest cell in that column to display fully
- Double-clicking the edge of a column in the My Games window tries to resize the column to the minimum width needed for the longest cell—but it's always about ten pixels (or two characters) too short
- The "Valve Hardware Survey" dialog seems to be cutting off some text below the main textbox in the screen that shows what information will be submitted.
- If your steam is on the secondary monitor the menu always display on the primary monitor.
- More then half of the last game on the list can be covered up by the bottom of the panel before a scrollbar appears.
- Links to third party mod home pages should open up in the user's default browser, not in Internet Explorer.
- Minimize steam window to shortest possible size. Bottom 1/4 or so of last game in display list is off the edge of the scrollable window when fully scrolled down. A fair amount of what is still visible on the last item is in the drop shadow and somewhat obscured. Mini-games list does not do this, only full list. [Duplicate]
- In "My Games" list, "Half-Life 2: Lost Cost" shows up as "100% - Ready", but has no right-click menu and won't launch. I can click the "Properties" button while it's highlighted, however, and the dialog says that it's not released (which is true).
- Upon completing hardware survey on the "This survey is complete" page, I have an active "Next >" button which does nothing. There is no further step.
- Uncheck every item in the column display options so there are no items displayed. You can still click and hilight blank rows, plus you are now unable to get the popup menu to show to re-activate columns. See below.
- Full area of column headings not clickable to get show/hide menu for columns. Try making the window large then only showing a few colums - most of the space on the right is now dead space which doesn't bring up the column menu.
- Third party mods have no "Properties" option when you right click on them for context menu. This means you can't set command line options.
- You can click the Properties button below the list, but I do agree it should be on the right click menu as well
- Update News window has a fixed size grey background rectangle that does not resize with the window - very messy look when you change window size.
- Titles that are marked as "unreleased" are shown between released ones, this should be moved to the "not installed" section of the menu or to a new "unreleased titles" section.
- Open game status dialog for some game. Click on "Delete local game content..." button. New dialog pops up with title "Delete game cache?" but then the title changes to "Untitled" after a fraction of a second.
- Are the translations in their final state? For example, the german translation is a bit "ugly" at some points.
- Translations of new text hasn't been done yet
- The Store window is not properly detecting what I own. ie: says I own Half Life 2: Demo instead of Half Life 2. I appearently don't own anything except CS, CZ and Codename Gordon. I purchased the Silver package, so it should say I own everything except Rag Doll Kung Fu.
- Rag Doll Kung Fu says it's $14.95, when it should be $12.95 for pre-orders.
- The store windows inner border is flickering if you move the mouse over the hover table columns.
- Uninstalled games have color icons
- If the mouse is depressed over an unused area of the window, moved over a checkbox, and then released, the checkbox will change states.
- Same with radio fields.
- Visiting a third party website from the steam store opens an IE window regardless of the default internet browser. [Duplicate]
- There are 2 blank list items in the 'game' filter drop-down box for the server browser.
- Even though I obviously own them, some HL1 Engine games do not appear as "Own" in the "Browse Games" (insted they list prices) and clicking them takes me to a purchase link, despite my having them installed and playable. [Duplicate]
- I have this problem with HL:S, CS:CZ and DOD:S, I have them installed and can play them, but it says I don't own them. I have ATI Coupon with Gold package Upgrade.
- Disk usage for installed games shows up as < none >.
- There is no updating stats (downloading speed) in the game's properties window.
- Removing servers from "History" does not remove them, servers reappear just from reselecting "any game".
- Text overlap in server browser. 
- Crash Bug with non '-clientbeta betaui' switch version of steam 
- my Steam uses 59MB, some people only have 11MB
- HL2CTF has no icon in 'My games'
- In the login window pressing AltGr+V (to get an @ in there) while using hungarian keyboard layout will paste in the content of the clipboard after the @.
- Pressing CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+R (Reload Skin?) when the small games window is open causes the text in the list to turn from white to black.
- Installing a backup uses old GUI.
- Closing My Games window doesn't free the memory it uses; if minimized, then closed, it is.
- Somehow decided that my CS:S installation is at zero percent. I think it was because it claimed to be at 85%, with a paused update, and I started and then immediately stopped it again. The client hung, and upon restart, after a considerable wait where it was "Scanning for game updates" it told me I didn't have it installed, which I most definitely do. Upon reverting to the current version, it correctly says that yes, I have the whole thing.
- Strange Hissing sound when steam CPU Useage is at 100% on "Updateing steam platform Files" - http://ammahls.com/random/strange-sound-bug.mp3 - hardware http://ammahls.com/random/Report.htm (Lattest drivers on all hardware)
- Why does it eat 100% CPU for 15 minutes anyway?
- Unable to recreate but twice I have had a scrolling display suddenly jump back to the top of the page while using the mouse wheel to scroll down. Once in "Store" and once in third party mod list.
- Back button in Store window always active even if there is no "back" page to visit.
- When you go into the "servers" menu and then into the "History" section all the servers do not appear correctly.
- Half-Life 2 does not detect out of date video drivers before launch
- Trying to load Steam with the beta UI, results in an error message of "Platform Error: bad module 'Friends/friendsUI.dll", not loading" after which time it shows it is logging in and freezes.
- List of games sometimes dissapear
- Opening the server browser and doing something crashes my computer to hard reboot
- Internet games tab in serverbrowser is slow with more than 1000 servers in the list.
- Add a scrollbar in backup wizard when backing up more games than can fit on one page
- Sometimes clickable menu items always appearing checked
- Every item in "Update" column turned into "box" symbol. No "news". Unable to recreate. Possibly related to turning colum displays on and off.
- Some third party mods read "Third-party" as the developer and have no link, others read "[ Third-Party ]" and have a link to www.steampowered.com from them.
- It's HL1 engine mods which have the link listed.
- Some machines show squares when drawing empty columns
- 'purchasing...' progress dialog doesn't have much room on the bottom
- no progress moving when installing games( 'creating cache files' )
- UI style of scrollbar in Backup games is inconsistent with other scrollbars. Scrollable area also is in a squared rather than rounded corner rectangle and missing the drop shadow look of Games list (for example). [Duplicate]
- If you right click on a third party mod in "My games" and select "Backup game files..." you'll find there are no 3d party mods listed
- Fixed by removing unsupported 'backup game files...' context menu option from 3rd party mods
- The context menus for games on the My Games tab display a line even if there's no items below it (see Rag Doll Kung Fu on an account where it's preloaded but not preordered).
- If you have an out of date video card driver and try to connect to a server via the serverbrowser the command line is incorrect
- Pause update from context menu, then launch game, context menu then says "Pause update" rather than "Resume update"
- Loading any sort of game (HL1/2, HL1/2 mods (both valve made and 3rd party), then exiting and then attempt to load a 3rd party mod will result in loading HL2 sp - Steam "thinks" that all mods are HL2 single player (i.e allows you options that are available only to valve games). To be able to play 3rd party mods again you have to exit Steam and run it again.
- The Day of Defeat: Source icon (white circle/white star) is outdated. Update to the newer icon.
- Download speed is written as Kb/s, whereas it looks more like KB/s.
- All HL1-engine third-party mods are missing the last character from their name; Source Engine mods are not affected
- Third party games may be listed as "Half-Life 2" on shrunken games window. 
- Make it possible to add your own categories in the 'My Games' mini list. As mentioned here and demonstrated here.
- snapping windows to one another still sucks. windows should snap not only to edges of the screen and one another, but to corners as well.
- detect out of date video drivers before launch for Goldsrc games do not - not only source games.
- If the cursor is over either the minimize or close window box, it would be nice to see a visual feedback
- Keyboard access in store.
- update SDK UI to match new style
- Have a tab to the news page on the main screen instead of it opening a browser window?
- When you right click on Valve mods you are able to set the launch options (-console for example) but with third party mods, you have to make a shortcut. Is there any way you can add support for that with third party mods?
- Add an ETA To all process bars - I.e. updating platform files.
- This might be an engine update, but add an ETA to Source Games, like what Gold Src has, for when you are downloading assets from a game server
- Abilty to maximise the storefront window.
- The account name should not appear in window title. People often post screenshots of their games list on the Internet (usually in the course of trouble-shooting), relieving their account name. Since the account name is one of two pieces of information a nefarious individual requires to hijack an account, it is best not to make such sensitive information so visible. The user can easily view their account name from the Setting window, which is far less likely to appear in a screenshot posted to the Internet.
- In the Interface Settings, it would be nice to be able to set my favorite window to Tools.
- Seconded. As someone that primarily uses the SDK this would be very useful, as SDK access is frequent and awkward at times.
- Tools should also be accessible through the "mini games list"
- I want the "monitor" feature back
- It's already back, integrated into the main My Games/Tools windows.
- Ok, where is the nice bandwith usage graph?
- Oh. Forgot about that. Guess the Monitor's not entirely there after all. :-/
- Ok, where is the nice bandwith usage graph?
- It's already back, integrated into the main My Games/Tools windows.
- When viewing status of "Not yet installed" games, it would be nice to have an install button. If a game is installed you can uninstall (delete local game content...) from status, so the inverse sort of makes sense to be there.
- "Mini Games List" Sections should be expandable/retractable menus so we can hide the other sections, particularily "not installed". Mods/Custom Games and Tools needs it's own sections in "Mini Games List".
- We need a right-click option to "Hide Game" in the "Mini Games List", and be able to add it back in from the full "My Games" menu.
- It would be nice to have a throbber for the Store to let the user know that a page is loading.
- It would be nice to chose voices/subs languages ( also different ) about a game from its properties. ( It will be cool also if Mods can do this ... )
- Add an upgrade option for ATi bundle.
- Bring back the bronze, silver, gold packages
- One must scroll to see games released before Condition Zero in the Backup wizard's games list. If one right-clicks on such a game - say, Ricochet - the Backup window should open and the list should automatically scroll to revile that game.
- A "Server" tab in the expanded main window (see Fig. 1). The aesthetics of two sets of tabs would need to be explored. There is also the redundancy problem of having a Servers tab and a link to the Servers window at the bottom.
- Allow for multiple account managment, fast user switching, or some sort of quick account login or managment tool.
- For unreleased games, put the "(unreleased)" text in a different, perhaps slightly darker, color.
- Allow users to remove games from the main list, so it doesn't appear cluttered. I don't want to see Codename Gordon at the top.
- Add an option to verify GCF caches when right clicking a game.
- It would be nice if there will be a tabbed browsing ( like FireFox ) of forums on Steam.
- Release a skinning tool for Steam.
- Allow full customization through skinning (change window shape, how items are displayed, all colors, spacing, etc. or a mode entirely without a skin using Windows standard looking widgets.
- It will be cool if you add a BitTorrent-like distribution system. If you don't like it for selling products, add it for free products! The user will chose to use it or not. ( and how much upload band to dedicate to it ) You will save a lot of band ( because with a small amout of it you will have a better distribution ) and users will complete it in a shorter time!
- It would be nice if this nicer looking skin could be applied to when your playing a game or at least have an option to change it. For example, when your joining a Counter-Strike: Source server and the loading bar or the servers list is in this nicer looking skin.
- Standardised GUI for all Steam platform, games so that "one skin will fit it all".
- Clear history for server browser.
- Window positions for both the "full UI" and the "mini UI" should be saved and restored upon changing UI mode. (EXTREMELY IMPORTANT)
- Names of Third Party games for HL1 seem to be cut off (e.g. Steam doesn't say "The Ship" but "The Shi") - no problem with HL2 mods, though
- Somewhere that says what content server your connected to. This is very important for me because if I get connected to my ISPs content server then the downloads dont go on my download count. Also it would be great if I could change the content server to my ISPs but I doubt that would happen.
- A working friends list would definitely improve it. Ability to add friends like MSN.
- Ability to change the Steam skin to High quality(nicer) or Low quality. This can help to reduce memory usage and boost in-game performance. (Beta version requires around 50MB memory usage while the old version requires only 10-15MB memory usage)
- User can customly change the size of the backup. (Some CD can store up to 700+ MB)
- Please allow us to change our login username and I don't mean switching accounts, but actually renaming our login.
- Maybe for some of the more popular mods you can add the developer website link for them. (I think it's a mod file setting, not sure I don't mod that much.
- GUI option to install optional components, and make it more prominent.
- The HD-pack (HL/OP/BS).
- The condition zero models (CS/CZ)
- Maybe add near 'My games' an extra tab with 'My mods'
- For mods also add the same menu if u press with right mouse button and in the properties of the mod: the webpage and the possibility to update the mod automatically (everytime when I change this to automatically update the mod and I check back, it is changed to 'Do not automatically update this game'
- Allow third party games to have their icons in the 'My games' section
When installing a backup, it uses the old GUI.
- URL mouseover for developer websites
- Natural Selection (And possibly other mods)show a CS Icon (Random?)
- File menu says "Backup games..." whereas window is titled "Backup wizard"
- Menu text versus window title and general window title style inconsistencies...
- Main window is "STEAM - <username>" (all caps Steam)
- "File > Backup games..." opens window titled "Steam - Backup wizard"
- "File > Settings" opens window titled "Settings - Steam"
- "Games > Activate a product on Steam..." opens window titled "Product activation wizard" (no "Steam")
- "Help > About" opens window titled "About"
- Most menu items that open up a new window have text ending in "...", except for "File > Settings" and "Help > About"
- Inconsistent capitalization of text in titles. Eg, "Update News" versus "Backup wizard"
- No "Steam - " leadin text on "Video Driver Outdated" dialog title
- Game property windows are titled with "- Steam" at end rather than beginning of title. Eg, "Day of Defeat: Source - Steam"
- Loading "Properties" for a game gives you a window titled with just the name of the game (no mention of "properties"). It has a single tab titled "Status". Why not ditch the "Status" tab (one tab makes no sense) and just lable the window like "Steam - Half-Life Properties" (for example).
- Launch options window is titled "Launch Options - <game name>" rather than the "Steam - " style title.
- Viewing update news for a game. Title of window does not contain name of game being displayed.
- Windows lack any border separate from the dark OD green, which means if you have two windows on top of each other, the edge of the top window vanishes into the background of the bottom window.
- Opening "Change password..." dialog there is a minimize and close button in title bar ( _ and X), yet "Change contact email..." only has close and no minimize.
- The font used for the ip address in the "Game Info" dialog should be a bit brighter
- There is a space character before the word "Built:" in the about dialog
- It would be nice if Steam showes the percentage on the status column only if the game is incomplete. There isn't also any reason to show "Third party mod" instead of "Ready" ( like VALVe productions )
- Only Half-Life 2 and DoD (old version) seem to have player manual links when right clicking on game names. Perhaps show that option on other games as well, but grayed out?
- The store's html margin values should be checked because on the right the text is slightly truncated.
- "Settings" is listed in both the File and View menus. Redundant?
- "Activate a product on Steam..." at the bottom of the Store tab link appears as underlined text rather than a button. This seems to break the aesthetic convention of the UI: buttons are used to open other Steam windows, underlined text is used to open webpages.
- In the mini Games list when there is no scrollbar, there is an unaesthetic mix of rounded and straight corners within the window (see Fig. 2).
- The store's HTML should have doctype declarations to make it valid HTML. On top of this, the HTML should really come closer to validation than it does, Tidy spits out an average of 10 warnings per page.
- Inconsistent browser launches: Some of us use Firefox exclusively. "view game manual" pops up in Firefox, links to mods from the store pop in IE.
- The interface is too chunky. The space between the games list and window border (as a matter of fact most of the dead space) needs to be trimmed. You shouldn't have to scroll as much as you do when you have 25 items.
- Decrease the vertical space between games listed in the "my games" area.
- Disabled text is green, so it appears quite out of place when featured against a grey background, such as with the "I agree with the terms of the Steam Subscriber Agreement" in the Product activation wizard.
- "Server Browser > History" has a "remove server from favourites", instead of "remove from history"
- "Server Browser > History & Favourites" CTRL+A (Select all) does not work.
- "Total cost of games bought individually..." in "Valve Complete Pack" shows savings of $200+, but that calculation assumes that every game does not come in a package and bases it off "package price.
- Application name should not be "in caps", ie Steam but not STEAM.
- Half-Life: Source uses the old, orange HL icon rather than the new, white HL:S icon