From Valve Developer Community
This article is a stub. You can help by adding to it.
Trouble with Exporting
Trouble with Compiling Models
- I can't find my .MDL file
- See model compile log, and check if the compile was successful.
- My model won't show up in HLMV
- Try wireframe mode. If you see your model in wireframe mode, it's possibly your texture that has a problem. See "My textures won't show up. It's just black" below. If you can't see anything in wireframe, open your reference .SMD with Notepad. Make sure it contains mesh information.
- My model shows up, but size/shape is not right
- Go back to the 3D program. If you are using XSI, freeze the model using Freeze and Transform > Freeze All Transforms commands. If you are using 3DsMax, apply the Reset XFrom modifier. Then export your .SMD and compile it again.
- My textures won't show up. I see pink/black checkers.
- If you see pink/black checkers, it means that HLMV couldn't find textures. Use Source MDL Texture Info and check your .MDL's texture path.
- My textures won't show up. It's just black
- Open .VMT file. If you use LightmappedGeneric, change it to VertexLitGeneric. LightmappedGeneric is for brush geometry, not for model geometry.
- My model won't show up
- Open the console, check the error log. Make sure your model is of the proper type (prop_physics, prop_static, etc.)