FYI:EVERYONE knows =/ meh. prehaps a map protection article would be more suitable.Kizzycocoa 16:29, 3 December 2009 (UTC)
I don't think censoring information is such a good idea. The more people know, the better. --cheesemoo0 21:04, 3 December 2009 (UTC)
- FINALLY! someone who agrees with giving out information, rather than make the reader learn!
- I for one think, as long as we don't link, and make out that downloading it is the equivilent of murder, why not? it informs them on how to better protect the map, and makes the page more informative about the program Kizzycocoa 21:17, 3 December 2009 (UTC)
- Not everyone respects mappers intellectual rights to their work and so protection is a way to ensure their rights are enforced. Even so, de-compilation of a map should be a last resort, contacting the original author and asking for the source files is preferable to the 'best guess' vmex makes with the structure, design and organization of a map. If a map has extra protection added to it then you should respect the authors wishes for they've added it for a reason. --Lost 06:10, 4 December 2009 (UTC)
- This "protection" is nothing more than a flag that can be circumvented with modded versions of VMEX or other decompilers. Everyone who create maps for the Source Engine should bear in mind that their compiled BSPs can always be decompiled relatively easy and exact (compared to GoldSource BSPs). Those who don't agree with that shouldn't start mapping at all IMHO. --Barracuda 06:49, 4 December 2009 (UTC)
- actually, this is a lie
- the hacked version doesn't decompile those with the protector prefab
- or, so I've been told. though, it has been tested (I did test it when messing around with the creator of portal:project beta), and it does seen that if you add said prefab, even the hacked version won't decompile.
- hence how adding that to this article would not hinder people, but in fact, help them know one form of protection is completely foolproof. Kizzycocoa 08:19, 4 December 2009 (UTC)
- There are several versions of vmex out there that have been hacked, I've tested 3 versions of them and they bypass all know forms of protection (Map Properties, Texture, Brush etc). I could code one myself but unlike many I respect the wishes of authors and ask permission/use of their original files. You really shouldn't outright state somethings a lie when you've only briefly touched on the subject, leave a margin of error.
- I'd recommend having this board wiped again and that the subject be dropped. There is no need to add another link to the same source, the protector prefab is already available via the first link on the page, multiple links to the same site are not necessary. --Lost 14:27, 4 December 2009 (UTC)