I didn't know that there were that many. some of these will really help me. What is the sky fog used for, i see that there is nothing for what it does. Cubedude 16:36, 10 Feb 2006 (PST)
- Read a little better: “ toolsskyfog.vmt does not contain any properties. ” This explains why it isn't rendered by games... --CrabbyData 04:19, 5 May 2006 (PDT)
Block Bullets Tool
Could someone tell me if the Block Bullets Tool Texture works in CS:Source? Because, when I shoot on something, behind a wall with the texture of Block Bullets, it still gets shot... --CrabbyData 09:53, 5 May 2006 (PDT)
- Why not build a test map with some bots and test it out like that? Bots on one side, you on the other side and the block between the both of you. --Giles 15:16, 5 May 2006 (PDT)
- Will do that, right away ^^ I'll give an update in a sec... --CrabbyData 02:47, 6 May 2006 (PDT)
I built a DoD:S map with thick (32 unit) block bullet brushes to protect spawn, and they worked. Now I'm working up another with what I can only call a "thin staircase". The risers are triangular brushes when viewed in cross-section, and meet at the vertexes. Currently everything is in the developer orange and gray textures. During testing, a player was effectively blocking entrance to an area by sitting high on the staircase, and killing players by shooting down through it. So I put a 1 unit block bullet brush on the underside of the staircase, but when I compile and run the map, I can still paint bullet-hit decals on walls through the staircase. Do I need to tie these brushes to some sort of function or entity? I could make them thicker, but at some point they will prevent players from passing through - on the first map I mentioned above, block bullets also blocks players.
Block LOS Tool
This will fail to work if the brush is made into an entity, something that had me puzzled for a while.
It has to stay part of the world geometry. I had a func_brush textured with it and it didn't work at all. sagesource, 31 December 2007.
Do any of these block the spread of sound? Suppose I had an NPC on one side of a window, and the player on the other. The NPC can't see the player because of a brush textured with a Block LOS texture. The player fires a pistol behind the window. I don't want the NPC to hear it, but I DO want the NPC to hear everything on his side of the window. Will any of these block the sound of the pistol, or do I have to find another workaround? sagesource, 1 January 2008.
The only use I can imagine for this texture, is when it comes to taking areal screenshots or temporal ingame views from above, where it will be easier to replace all the roof texture at once. (I think this might be able to do ingame, but I'm not sure.) Anything in the code that specifically mentions this texture?
Also, I cannot find this texture for HL2SP. Is it game specific? --Andreasen 13:43, 17 Aug 2006 (PDT)
- Its only in CSS --Angry Beaver 14:16, 17 Aug 2006 (PDT)
Apparently, it is identical to normal NoDraw, but it makes a metallic sound when you walk on it. I remember reading that somewhere.--Quantumoftoaster 22:10, 19 April 2010 (UTC)
No Draw or NoDraw?
I've always thought the texture was called NoDraw, as what can be read on the texture. Where does it say No Draw? --Andreasen 15:30, 17 Aug 2006 (PDT)
- I've always thought the texture was simply called nodraw, without any caps. --NykO18
How expensive are clip brushes? Is there a point where having too many will start to affect game performance? Or does the way they go into the BSP keep them from affecting performance at all? Thelonesoldier 02:07, 6 Feb 2007 (PST)
- They should be quite cheap on the rendering part, but on the physics they should be the same as walls.
Solid Block Bullets?
For some reason, in all my maps, the Blockbullets texture is completely solid to everything (bullets, physics objects, npc's, player, etc.). Also, I have a feeling that it might even block an npc's LOS. Is this normal? --Darthkillyou 16:08, 6 May 2007 (PDT)
No not really at all hmm thats quite odd. Instead try making a brush textured in the materal NODRAW and make that brush a func_detail as a replacement for the blockbullets material. That might work better.--Gear 11:02, 17 Jul 2007 (PDT)
func_detail? that's not solve him question about SolidType, you may want to said a func_brush textured with block bullets and Solidity set to Never? --Gectou4 10:35, 19 Jul 2007 (PDT)
Yeah it does. Im simply stating that this is an alternative. However i did state that it depends where the loacation of the brush may be. If it helps any with the misconception of clarity amongst Gectou, then darth, simply dont use block bullets texture. Yet if im wrong gectou, why did you fail to correct me by awnsering the question presented by DarthKillYou? Simply its not about telling me that im wrong but simply stating that, "darth, this is the way to do this" Therefore anwsering his question.--Gear 02:31, 20 Jul 2007 (PDT)
You guys are confusing me... So, basically, don't use blockbullets? And a NODRAW'ed non-solid func_brush seems quite useless to me.--Darthkillyou 18:55, 18 Sep 2007 (PDT)
A nodraw brush set to Func_brush with solidity on.--Gear 19:02, 18 Sep 2007 (PDT)
But that blocks everything! --Darthkillyou 19:03, 18 Sep 2007 (PDT)
Yeah thats why it would need to be placed somewhere the player will not touch it, yet i do not know of any other fix. Sorry.--Gear 21:45, 18 Sep 2007 (PDT)
Link is down
- Now, why am I not suprised??? None of the sdknuts or akilling links work anymore! --Darthkillyou 19:00, 18 Sep 2007 (PDT)
- Obviously. Do we have any replacement site for them yet? --Andreasen 18:39, 25 Sep 2007 (PDT)
- dead as doornails, 404 page not found error. sagesource, 31 December 2007
Can I texture a brush in block bullets, have it occupy the same space and area as another brush (door to be specific) and then turn it into a func_brush? I want to parent it to to the door so that it will move with it but not be effected by the physics gun.
Help would be greatly appreciated. Sltungle 03:50, 20 Jan 2008 (PST).
- Please sign your comments. --Tourorist 03:23, 20 Jan 2008 (PST)
- (Thank you :)) Can anyone help then? Sltungle 03:50, 20 Jan 2008 (PST)
- Seems each of the block materials were intended for solid world brushes.
- You can however use a func_brush parented to a door.
- I've found some of these effects require the brush to be 16 units thick however. --wisemx 09:56, 20 Jan 2008 (PST)
- Seems each of the block materials were intended for solid world brushes.
So blockbullets will still work if it's a func_brush? Sltungle 16:47, 20 Jan 2008 (PST)
- No, at least not in Team Fortress 2. I just ran into this problem myself, where block_bullets blocks everything and was unable to find a solution.--Draco18s 10:18, 2 January 2010 (UTC)
I'm a bit confused by some of the jargon in the notes, particularly the use of "visibility" and "invisible" ... If I've got this right, there is
- not rendered (ie "invisible" to the player - which includes all the tooltextures except toolsskybox ?)
- casts shadows (ie "blocks light")
- blocks LOS (ie NPC line of sight)
- divides visleafs (which is the same as "cuts world brushes" right?)
- seals leaks (which inevitably "divides visleafs" ?)
--Beeswax 19:18, 13 May 2008 (PDT)
World_brush or brush_entity
I'm a bit confused about how entity properties and tooltexture properties overlap. Unless the note says "use with" some brush entity (areaportal, occluder, trigger) should I assume that the tooltexture must be applied to a world brush? in which case does it inherit the visleaf division, etc from worldspawn bruswork? I can see why toolshint and toolsskybox must be placed on a world brush, but the others ? --Beeswax 19:18, 13 May 2008 (PDT)
I'm not entirely sure what these ones are for (Popped up in Source Shared 2007.) They seem to be made for a dx10 mode of hammer or half-life 2. Although I cannot find any such mode (Besides dx9.7 as pointed out by Varsity.) --JakeB 13:50, 3 Sep 2008 (PDT)
Player Clip and Left 4 Dead
On mild experimentation, Player Clip textures only apply to the Survivors. Special infected, including player controlled special infected are not blocked by Player Clip.
Brushes with the "Player Clip" texture on them are meant to block Survivor players. Brushes with the "Clip" texture on them are meant to block everyone. There's a brush entity called "func_playerinfected_clip" that you will need to use to block players on the Infected team.
--Bit Mage 13:44, 5 July 2009 (UTC)