I thought they were available in CSS, (on wrong computer to check). If they're in sourcematerials.gcf, aren't they available to all source games? -mungo
- They are indeed in sourcematerials.gcf, but I'm not actually sure if CSS can access them - those are in the counter-strike source client.gcf file. --AndrewNeo 11:00, 6 Jul 2005 (PDT)
My guess is that all files in all gcfs are available to all games. However, you wouldn't want to use a CSS sky in a HL2 level, because a user might not have CSS installed. But everyone will have the gcfs with source in the title. Can anyone confirm?
- CSS can use the skyboxes listed. I suggest we sort the skybox page according to where they come from. And it is incorrect that you could use a CSS skybox in HL2, because HL2 does not load the CSS GCF file. --AndrewNeo 13:06, 6 Jul 2005 (PDT)
- Consider it never said. ;) --Treb 05:57, 19 Oct 2005 (PDT)
Could someone perhaps add the recommended fog colours for each sky?
- I'll look into it. It might require a redesign to get it all to fit properly, but I'll see what I can do. --Bwmathis 13:12, 28 Nov 2005 (PST)
- There are multiple env_fog_controllers in most maps. For example, there is one for when you're watching the intro with the G-Man in the d1_trainstation_01, one for the citadel in that map, and one for the actual trainstation area. --Bwmathis 11:51, 18 Dec 2005 (PST)
"3rd party Skies"
May we add our own skies here, if we follow the current layout of course and adds a new part for them? --Hipshot 16:07, 10 Jan 2006 (PST)
- I don't see it being a problem, as long as the skyboxes are available to everyone to use. I'd suggest adding a link to download the skybox texture when you put it up. --Bwmathis 17:17, 28 Feb 2006 (PST)
Exactly how do you apply a different sky i would like to use sky day01_07. the matter why because im using two skyboxs. the player travels in the day for a while, goes underground then when he comes back to the suface the sky has went from day to sunset or evening in this case. thanks for taking your time to read this and thanks for the help.
- See Skybox (2D), it explains how to apply a skybox.
- Afaik, there's no way to change a skybox during the game, furthermore you'd also have to change your lighting settings which you can't because they're precompiled. You'll be better off splitting it in two seperate maps.
- In the future, please use the Help Desk for questions. --Vaarscha 03:10, 11 May 2006 (PDT)
- okay so i understand that the same skybox cant change but can i create another skybox next to it. is that considered a different map. well hey im new to this so im really just trying to figure it out exactly how do i go from day to sunset. Kinda like Hl2 when gordon or in this case the player starts in Water Hazard. After that the player travels into Black Mesa East. And when the player comes out its Ravenholm, Nightime. Are those two different skyboxs. or how do you do that exactly? Anyway thanks i really need help on this and i can probly beable to finsh my MOD. I just stopped cause i didnt know how to do that.
- These are many different, single maps. Even though it seems as they are one long piece, they are not. Everytime the game loads, a new .bsp is loaded. This new .bsp can contain a different skybox etc. For changing levels see Trigger changelevel and use the SDK levels to see how it works. --Vaarscha 04:31, 11 May 2006 (PDT)
Ok guys just added some settings to wasteland02 skybox on the list. The only thing that needs tweaking is the brightness and ambient lighting...
Half-Life Sauce Skyboxes
Please feel free to add on to them they need some work!