-- Where do you get SDK Beta? -- Hey Hey. Sorry for being such a newb. Where do you get the SDK Beta codeline? Says nothing about it on this page, nor the hl2coders list. I've never developed long enough to see an update, and finally there is one! LOL.
Do you just find it by updating steam and "create a mod"? Or is that codeline still the old version? Is there somewhere else (a repo of some sort) that the sdk beta code is located in? Thanks --Mflux 17:54, 14 Jun 2008 (PDT)
What should be done to this page?—ts2do
- It will be used for future beta releases, as will the Sdk Beta Bugs page. --JeffLane 18:48, 17 Jan 2006 (PST)
I'd like to point out.. since the first time valve officially added basic third party bot support to the source sdk..
Since this update: http://www.steamgames.com/v/index.php?area=news&id=390&cc=US
BOTS CAN'T BE BUILT EFFCIENTLY FOR THE SOURCE ENGINE. vALVE has taken no actions to try and rectify the situation. So here I am trying again...
- They haven't made it possible to read current bot inventory (weapons/items)
- Can't use any kind of code to detect bot's (health/armor/being damaged by what kind of weapon or hazard like drowning)
- Cannot find out what is current bot ammo counts of both in the gun, and spare ammo.. so bot creators can only "guess" when the bot's out of ammo and randomly make the bot switch weapons.. which brings us to the next problem...
- Cannot switch weapons properly on bots. The way vALVE have it set up, they just spawn new weapon entities.. which is ok for singleplayer campaign where bots don't have to change weapons ever.. but in multiplayer it means the game eventually crashes since you can't just keep creating entities.
- The physics aren't updated right for the bots, so that in HL2DM, if you toss a physics object at a bot or the secondary attack of weapon_ar2 (The Combine Assault Rifle's Energy Ball) sometimes the physics objects will pass right through the bots.
- Not as important.. but there's no code that shows how to wrap the built in navmesh system of the CSS bot which is present in all Source Engine games to be used with third party bots. Most bot creators have invented different navmeshes that can wrap properly to geometry instead of just square boxes that are meant to snap to a grid.. but for some bot coders who wish to try the built in navmesh with their bots, it would probably help them out quite a bit.
- NOTE: some of the above can be hacked into the sourceSDK to read stuff like bot ammo counts... but it would be an unstable hack, and still would mean if the bot wanted to switch weapons he would still have to create those new weapon entities and end up crashing the game/server due to creating too many entities.
--ThE_MarD 07:30, 11 Mar 2008 (PDT)
You can't play a game with the current beta code, here are the few things to change :
Index: waterbullet.cpp =================================================================== @@ -28,9 +28,6 @@ LINK_ENTITY_TO_CLASS( waterbullet, CWaterBullet ); -IMPLEMENT_SERVERCLASS_ST( CWaterBullet, DT_WaterBullet ) -END_SEND_TABLE() - //----------------------------------------------------------------------------- // Purpose: //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Index: waterbullet.h =================================================================== @@ -25,7 +25,6 @@ void BulletThink(); DECLARE_DATADESC(); - DECLARE_SERVERCLASS(); }; #endif // WEAPON_WATERBULLET_H
Index: sdk_usermessages.cpp =================================================================== @@ -21,6 +21,7 @@ usermessages->Register( "GameTitle", 0 ); // show game title usermessages->Register( "ItemPickup", -1 ); // for item history on screen usermessages->Register( "ShowMenu", -1 ); // show hud menu + usermessages->Register( "Rumble", -1 ); usermessages->Register( "Shake", 13 ); // shake view usermessages->Register( "Fade", 10 ); // fade HUD in/out usermessages->Register( "VGUIMenu", -1 ); // Show VGUI menu
(Tested with the "create mod from scratch" option.)
Asibasth 14:55, 14 Jun 2008 (PDT)
where are the new editors???
Hi! i got the new beta and stuffs, but im not able to use the new editors! plz help! sencerly, lazy genius.
- Hey there, to access the new (Commentary, Particle, and Matieral) editors, simple add -tools to the advance launch options of Episode Two, Team Fortress 2, Portal, or Day of Defeat: Source Beta. (It's in the properties of each game on your Steam's Gamelist.) Hope that helps! --JakeB 17:44, 14 Jun 2008 (PDT)
Hi jake. I tryed that but I still cant acess them! do I need to add -tools to my mods that use the OB engein??? And also, I first tried adding -tools to portal but when I opened the SDK and selected portal for the current game it didn't show the new editors. is it supposed to? --Lazy genius 19:05, 14 Jun 2008 (PDT)