Tom why did you take out the trailer link? --PanFrie 13:13, 18 Jul 2006 (PDT)
- I didn't. It's right there. --TomEdwards 13:43, 18 Jul 2006 (PDT)
I saw someone on another site (PHL I think) had pointed out that the name of the device "Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device" forms the acronym ASHPD - Adrian Shepherd anyone?- RodeoClown 22:19, 18 Jul 2006 (PDT)
- Good 'ol speculation on what valve is doing... --PanFrie 22:21, 18 Jul 2006 (PDT)
- There are also the orange keys on the keyboards: "ERIPASDHN". Rearranged, they spell: "ADRINSHEP". I noticed the orange keys, but it was a friend who told me how the letters were arranged. --4-Legged Tumor 16:49, 17 Nov 2007 (PST)
I wonder why we don't see any water in the trailer ;) —ts2do 23:47, 18 Jul 2006 (PDT)
You do see water, look around 1:50--Gameexpertmaster 00:45, 19 Jul 2006 (PDT)
- Did you even think about what I said? Water physics like that would be impossibly difficult...We can't be certain that that's infact water—ts2do 16:59, 20 Jul 2006 (PDT)
- You appear to presume that if a portal is in water, the water would need to move through the portal, creating a requirement for flowing liquids. That's only one of many possibilities for how the designers could choose to have the portals interact with water. Other options could avoid that requirement. --Giles 17:49, 20 Jul 2006 (PDT)
- The portals can only be applied upon certain surfaces - on some types of metal, for example, they can't be opened. So you could just have water in a basin textured with the appropriate type of metal, and void this entire discussion.--Graham 06:40, 21 Jul 2006 (PDT)
I'm going to buy Episode Two just so I can get my hands on Portal, because it seems SOOO much like the Paranoia RPG. I've suspected that those data failures in HL1 before the portal accident, might be intentional, and a haywire AI creating those portal storms might explain things. The Xen slaves just took advantage of it, to escape their captors, which was the AIs plan all along, because the Combine world order has much more computer power and is much more computer reliant. It could also explain who the G-man is working for. --Andreasen 13:58, 7 Sep 2006 (PDT)
Do any commands actually do anything on that apature science website? --Angry Beaver 10:31, 9 Sep 2006 (PDT)
- Oh NM, I foudn the age that details it. lol I always sucked at linux so no wonder.
Just a note, for people psyched about Portal; you should DEFINITELY get this game to find out what it'll be like: http://www.download.com/Narbacular-Drop/3000-7501_4-10573039.html (main site is www.nuclearmonkeysoftware.com but their bandwidth broke - probably from Portal fans like myself) And don't go on about Valve having stolen their idea - Nar-Drop's creators got hired right out of college after making the game, almost specifically with the idea of making Portal.
- Any word on fgd's to make maps for portal? -paste120 10/10/07
- The rar file in the TF2_SDK_Work-Around links to a rar with the fgd for portal as well as tf2. Perhaps you just follow the same directions to get portal mapping working? Also, does anyone know of an estimated time for the SDK update so mapping for tf2/portal becomes much easier, and we get to take advantage of the new features? --Tj9991 14:16, 11 Oct 2007 (PDT)
Do we *really* know if the Companion Cube is a male or female? --Remmiz 06:58, 10 Nov 2007 (PST)
- Mine is a male. I call him Jimmy. --Baliame 07:19, 10 Nov 2007 (PST)
Portal section on VDC
I think we might need one just like TF2 has one, it may be alot but I'm sure me and Baliame are up to the job!--Gear 15:55, 11 Oct 2007 (PDT)
Perhaps we should move the custom content onto it's own page as I could see it growing very quickly. --Remmiz 10:52, 25 Nov 2007 (PST)
I think we can safely add a section on the sequel, now that it's 100% confirmed. sources: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/portal-first-impressions?page=2 http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/more-portal-for-sure-valve http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/51456 http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/10&ch=2&sd=1?ep=10&ch=2&sd=1 http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=784 http://kotaku.com/5014851/rumor-casting-call-reveals-portal-2-details http://kotaku.com/5015122/more-details-on-portal-2s-bad-guy
on a personal side note, MP portal in #2 makes me very annoyed >.> --Kizzycocoa 21:31, 9 January 2010 (UTC)
- We usually add this kind of info when the mod/game comes out, formally because of the SteamID, and links to the steam storefront. Until it actually gets released, not yet.--Gear 09:35, 10 January 2010 (UTC)
- ah, ok. np. ^^
- just that I saw it up on wikipedia, yet not here, where it would make sense XD
- still, ok then ^^ Kizzycocoa 11:57, 10 January 2010 (UTC)
I took out a heap of stuff that didn't really belong on here, and was mostly covered by Wikipedia's page on Portal and in other places on the internet. Plus, the other valve game pages don't have all these trivia sections, anyway.
However, the article still needs a section on "Content", with a listing of what GCFs it uses, etc, and a gallery of screenshots.
Seb26 22:34, 14 May 2010 (UTC)
Ok, um I am Currntly Working on Some portal Maps. you know for entertaing reasons! but for some reason when ever I compile my map something happens. first the map compiles, then it starts up the game, then whe it gets to the console where its shoing te background it just shuts off! the games just turns off without any warning or little message after. i really wish i can fix that because its very hard to make a map without testing it. any sugestions? Ideas? Solutions? --No Return Production 23:48, 10 June 2010 (UTC)
Making Portal "School-Friendly"
I'm working on modifying Portal so it can be used in a game creation class. This brings it's challenges (like no blood is allowed, period). I'm modifying the files, but I am trying to figure out how to edit the GCF file so my patched files will be there. Any ideas?
-Tariq 03:09, 19 September 2011 (UTC)
Try making a portal SourceMod, then in the mod copying blank transparent images over the blood decals. You could also modify the particle PCF files to remove the bloodsplatter effects.