Talk:Parallax mapping

From Valve Developer Community
Revision as of 10:09, 27 November 2009 by Cheesemoo0 (talk | contribs) (Working link?)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Anyone know when they will enable it? /me wants to try it :D -- Pon

"WARNING: The parallax mapping feature is currently unavailable in the Source / Half-Life 2 Engine." - Which explains why I wasn't getting anything interesting to happen last night with my newly-created height-field. I was thinking "wow, this is an overrated feature!" ;-) --Cargo Cult 06:09, 22 Jul 2005 (PDT)

I have no idea when, but I hope it's soon. -- trepid_jon

We need to have this enabled, come'on Valve! --Hipshot 08:11, 17 Feb 2006 (PST)
It's actually available via the SDK and the advance shader samples. The code exists, its just some parts are commented out and need re-enabling. Any mod based on the SDK could, in theory, add parallax map support just by doing this. --Wunderboy 14:25, 17 Feb 2006 (PST)

Wow this is f***ing you know how to do it? because every person that knows how to do it neglects to relay the way to do it to us!!!—ts2do 15:26, 17 Feb 2006 (PST)

Maybe this helps --gia 14:24, 24 Feb 2006 (PST)

Does anyone has a working download link for this? --cheesemoo0 18:09, 27 November 2009 (UTC)

Renaming this page? =

Query: I don't see why this page is better off named Parallax than Parallax Maps? Parallax is too general. As a comparison, "Normal Maps" would always be more descriptive than "Normal", "Bump Maps" would always be more descriptive than "Bump". --Giles 00:38, 19 May 2006 (PDT)

It's not always maps.. Only certain parallax textures are possible. --dutchmega 02:26, 19 May 2006 (PDT)
I don't understand what you mean. The correct technical term is "Parallax Maps". "Parallax" is a more general word. See Wikipedia:Parallax mapping and in particular the PDF at the bottom that links to an academic paper on the subject. --Giles 03:05, 19 May 2006 (PDT)
Giles is right. Parallax Mapping is the correct term for it - Parallax is the tecnique, if you will. -- Wraiyth 08:00, 21 Jun 2006 (PDT)
Actually, according to Wikipedia, there is no such thing as a "parallax map". There isn't anything called a "bump map" either. The technique is called "parallax mapping" and "bump mapping", but the actual "maps" are called "heightmap" and (if used) "normal map" respectively. I'm pirating this ship and navigating it to "parallax mapping", y'arr. --Andreasen 18:54, 27 Aug 2007 (PDT)