Talk:Create a Mod
Any clarifications anywhere on the differences between the four options? Especially between the last two (Start a mod from scratch, and Source code only) --Aionaever 23:05, 6 Oct 2005 (PDT)
- Clarifications now in there. You can read more on them. --Kalashnikov 13:01, 10 Feb 2006 (PST)
"Create a Mod" tool crashes
In this tutorial, when I get to the part "Run the Create a Mod wizard", "Click the Next button ...", the installer crashes after copying most of the files and I get a request to send an error report from my system. I have run the procedure several times and every time it crashes when trying to copy the file, hl2_Spanish.txt.
I have also followed this similar tutorial, Installing and Debugging the Source Code and posted a comment about this crash at the discussion there.
"Create a mod" crashes
I have the same problem. Can I suggest some time is spent to make the 'setup' sections more helpful to newbies like myself. The 'Create Mod' button is a great idea but when it crashes it turns out to be problematic. I have a problem on HL2_spanish.txt, the problem has already been identified, but there is no help for it. What do I do now?
If the crash happens after the "create a mod" feature is almost done copying files (typically crashing on hl2_spanish.txt) then here's a fix.
1) You MUST run half-life 2 or whatever game you're basing your model from at least once so it initializes the appropriate files. 2) Now you need to go to teh Soruce SDK and "Reset Game Configurations". 3) Close/Open steam and try creating your mod. It should work now.
---Dstarsboy 11:52, 9 Jul 2007 (PDT)
Source SDK Will Not Load
Different problem, same effect. When i double click "Source SDK" in Steam the thing says "Loading" and then does nothing. Tried the above but got no where.
Source code not compatible with the 'Orange Box'?
I am trying to create a mod with the Source SDK, with 'Organge Box' version of the Source Engine. However, when I clicked the 'Create a Mod' link in the SDK, an warning message came out and the wizard never out. The message is:
The source code distributed with this version of the Source SDK is not compatible with the ‘Orange Box’ version of the Source engine. Mod source code compatible with the Orange Box will be available in an upcoming release.
Can anyone give some hint on this problem? Does this mean that I can't create a mod with this package?
Thanks a lot in advance
- I believe it means exactly what you said: the source code provided by our benefactors (VALVe) does not yet use the 'Orange Box' version of the engine, so to speak. This means that if you want to create a MOD using the latest ('Orange Box') engine, you have to wait for a subsequent release of the SDK.
- Quoting from Current events: "Future Source SDK updates will provide new development tools, as well as source code for creating single and multi-player mods that utilize the latest Source engine features." I guess we'll just have to wait it out! --Etset 10:02, 16 Jan 2008 (PST)
Choice "Modify Half-life 2 Single Player" is disabled
It's just it. When I press "Create a Mod", I cannot select first variant because it is disabled. Who can say why? Thanks in advance!
I have the same problem. --Col6y
- Do you own HL2? What about the various episodes? --TomEdwards 22:36, 15 June 2009 (UTC)
- I own HL2 (But not the episodes) and I also get this problem when trying to make a mod of the 2009 engine version. What's more, the 2006 engine version still uses the Source SDK base content and code, making it difficult to utilize the HL2 update content and code in a mod. --JeffMOD 17:38, 23 July 2010 (UTC)