Talk:Crate Versus Barrel
Nice way to think outside the box, bada ding --Red Comet 09:58, 15 Mar 2006 (PST)
Looking really nice, btw is this book of yours will focus mostly on coding (I hope not), or on modding in general?--RP 17:41, 2 Jun 2006 (PDT)
- The book will cover all aspects. It's a bit daunting to do a book that covers it all, but it will go into coding of entities, weapon modifications, game customization, mapping, prop model making, weapon modelling, etc. The main thing I want to do is get people to actually do stuff - even if it's just make a cube in XSI and create a "crate" prop model with it, or add a bit of code to the RPG so when the crate missile explodes, it spews wood gibs. --Holtt 10:30, 5 Jun 2006 (PDT)
Funny mod :) Does it have a website? --dutchmega 01:34, 3 Jun 2006 (PDT)
- Not exactly but it does tie into my book - which is horribly late by the way :(
Tip on industry names
To make it even more 'fun', you could name the manufacturers of the crates "Crates Corp." and the one of the barrels "Barrels 2 Build", or something like that :-) --CrabbyData 01:22, 5 Jun 2006 (PDT)
- Heheh yes I have some company names in the design document for the mod that the book follows. I don't have the latest draft handy (I'll put something up when I get home), but it's something like "Crates International" and "Barrels Incorporated, LLC" It's all about domination and control of the prop market in virtual worlds - will it be crates, or barrels? --Holtt 11:04, 5 Jun 2006 (PDT)
Will be getting this
Heh, the book looks awesome, I think I shall get it, but I definatly want to try this mod out. Weapons look great, as do the charecters, the map looks good and all... Just wondering if your going to do anything on custom animations and which programs to use? Thats what I could really use. It's a shame google vid aint working at the moment as I would love to see the starting movie...
If the start video is just gameplay footage (I can't really tell from here) then might you go into how to make a dramatic start video using a custom made battle animation of sorts? I know it's probably complicated but the results are allways better :D
The book is going to concentrate on just the XSI mod tool, and I do have a section on animation of weapon view models. I went with XSI because it's free, it's what Valve uses, and ... it's free :^) As I saw it, if I went with 3ds then a lot of people wouldn't be able to do things unless they bought (or warezed) 3ds.
The mod itself is going to be released with the book (or maybe before). I'm also going to release all the source for it - models, code, textures, maps, etc.
Oh yea and the start vid is just gameplay stuff - I used the free Windows Movie Maker to put it together. Sorta like with choosing a modeling package, as soon as you start either needing (or thinking you need) some high end pacakge, that's one more thing that will maybe block you from making a mod.
My real hope with all this is that more people will get out there and start making mods - even dumb fun mods like "Crate VS Barrel"! --Holtt 22:39, 20 Jun 2006 (PDT)
OK, cool, I never understood that program before :D Out of interest, any chance of having simple walkthrough video of cirtain programs? That's how I learnt to use hammer, and it could be usefull to stick some sort of DVD with the book which could hold videos and the mod itself...
Heh, I just thought of something, you could have a couple of different classes, maby? Like, barrels have the normal barrels and explosive barrels which could have more explosive weapons and then normal crates and supply crates who are like medics.... Iunno if you'd use that or not, I just liked it XD ~ GCool
- OH, and if your interested, I've got some music like the one you have on this page that I made a while ago.
Image gallery not working properly
Is it just me, or are some pictures not showing when using gallery format? To solve this, you can order them in small thumbs instead:
[[Image:a.jpg|128px|thumb|left|This is a.]] [[Image:b.jpg|128px|thumb|left|This is b.]] [[Image:c.jpg|128px|thumb|left|This is c.]] [[Image:d.jpg|128px|thumb|left|This is d.]] [[Image:e.jpg|128px|thumb|left|This is e.]] [[Image:f.jpg|128px|thumb|left|This is f.]] <br style="clear: left"/>
--Andreasen 17:35, 17 Aug 2006 (PDT)
- It works here (IE7B2)—ts2do 18:24, 17 Aug 2006 (PDT)
- Hmh. I guess it's just my browser running out of cache or something. --Andreasen 04:57, 18 Aug 2006 (PDT)
Any update about this mod? --dutchmega 08:18, 3 Oct 2006 (PDT)