Talk:Blender Source Tools
Nice work, thanks!
If you add animation support(bone and vertex) I can finally switch to Blender 2.5x
btw, haven't you found anything useful in the old exporter scripts, which could help you to solve the animation support problem?
- Blender 2.5 handles things very differently. My shaky grasp of 4D matrix transformations isn't good enough to translate the old exporter's code to the new one. :-( --TomEdwards 17:25, 11 August 2010 (UTC)
automatic armature generation
Hello, thanks again for the great plugin!
Is it possible to automaticly generate an armature and map a bone to each animated object/vertice in the scene?
Would be really helpfull for cinematic physics creation for source. --Pfannkuchen 21:45, 6 January 2011 (UTC)
- That's way outside the scope of this script. Talk to whoever created the destruction code you're using. --TomEdwards 12:30, 7 January 2011 (UTC)
Standalone? / Object naming
Hey, I used this script, and I must say I was impressed. I do have a couple questions though. The first is: Is this entirely standalone? That is, do I need python to run it? I currently have 3.1.2 installed so I haven't actually tried running it without python.
Secondly, I was wondering why the export limits you to the object's name. Specifically this: "<output folder>\<subfolder>\<object>.smd" I think it's nice to have it automatically export without asking what you want it to be named, but sometimes the .smd name that I intend for it to use is longer than the allowed characters for object names. I also found that if you want to export the object multiple times in a row, the first export prompts you for where you want it to be saved, but the subsequent exports export to the last location. Sometimes this can be a hassle when I want to have it export to different folders.
Anyway, thanks for making this! --HellJumper 22:00, 1 February 2011 (UTC)
- Blender 2.5 comes with Python, so there is no need for a separate install.
- I honestly hadn't considered the possibility of long SMD names. I will add the ability to define lengthy names via custom object properties in the next release.
- The export folder can be changed from the scene properties panel. If you are targeting multiple folders you can either divide your work into multiple scenes, or use per-object subfolders (with
../to go up a level).
- Thanks for the feedback! --TomEdwards 23:06, 1 February 2011 (UTC)
- Awesome, thanks! Is there a way to get instantly updated as to when the next release comes out? --HellJumper 04:39, 3 February 2011 (UTC)
What method does the addon use to update itself? Apparently my workplace firewall does not like the way it talks to googlecode and blocks it.
SMD Tools update... <urlopen error [Errno 10060] A connection attempt failed because the connected p arty did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond>
I have no trouble downloading it with a browser and installing manually. --Tehrasha 03:50, 3 March 2011 (UTC)