Ideas for new articles
What else should go here? What kinds of things do people new to Source mapping want to make but don't know the right names?
- Physics: people have heard that Source has nifty physics stuff, and this could point them to the entities and articles about it
- Reflections? Cubemaps,
buildcubemaps, maybe on article on reflective shaders, water_lod_control, and mention that HL2 doesn't have any mirrors.
- Sticking stuff together (aka, "Duct tape, hinges, glue, and string" <grin>): parenting, the physics constraints, and model attachment points
- Glass: as a hub for the various articles we already have (and be sure to mention how to make normal, unbreakable glass)
- Doors and windows: prop- and brush-based, area portals, and links to AKG series. We could use a wiki version of the AKG door skin page.
- Fighting: assaults, battle lines, rappel, dropships, gunships, strider, headcrab cannisters, door kicking, ai_goal_police, combat AI, snipers... wee!
- Weapons: not just the normal weapon entities, but also the func_tank and friends, and the article on creating usable mounted guns
- It might not be abstract, but it would be useful. Like the Water article, it can help people doing mapping as well as people doing materials. —Maven (talk) 21:11, 25 Oct 2005 (PDT)
- That's an excellent idea. I haven't a clue what to call it, though. —Maven (talk) 21:12, 25 Oct 2005 (PDT)
- Parenting does all sorts of things, so calling it "radar"-something is making it much more specific rather than more abstract. On the other hand calling it "parenting" defeats the purpose, because then only people who already know what it's called will find it. Maybe something like 'joining two entities', and toss in phys_constraint? —Maven (talk) 08:17, 26 Oct 2005 (PDT)