TF2/Team Fortress 2 Mapper's Reference
A quick reference for the numbers and statistics that any Team Fortress 2 level designer should know. Most importantly, use these numbers to help make a map feel in proportion, as TF2 maps are slightly larger than maps for other, more realistic mods.
These are the minimum empty space dimensions required for a model to fit and function in the game. Players can move through spaces with these dimensions, and Engineer structures can be built and operate in them. All sizes are in Hammer Units.
|Model||Height||Width / Depth|
|Sentry gun (level 3)||87||49|
The maximum jump clearances for each class, in Hammer units. A player can clear a gap that is as wide as the Horizontal clearance for his class. He can climb a ledge that is as tall as his Vertical clearance.
|Double (Jump followed by Force-A-Nature)||?||148|
* = wall climb
|1 rocket||992 (1024 max)||448 (576 max)|
|2 Rocket *||N \ A||928~992||3 Rocket *||N \ A||1184~1248|
|4 Rocket *||N \ A||1312~1376|
* = Medic necessary
|1 sticky||2112~2144||728 (928-960 max)|
|2 stickies||over 6000||3072~3104|
|3 stickies *||?||over 6323|
|4 stickies *||?||over 7769|
* = used as platform
The speeds below are measured in Hammer units per second. The scout, for example, has a movement speed of 400, so in ten seconds he can cover a distance of up to 4000 Hammer units.
func_breakable) and/or targets in a map. Damage data gathered using func_breakable's - Min Damage to hurt property. Settings for the entities were: Strength > 1.0, Physical Impact damage scale > 0.1
|Class||Weapon Type||Damage Dealt|
|Sniper||Sniper Rifle (0%)||50~60|
|Sniper Rifle (100%)||150~160|
- item_healthkit_small = 20.5% Health
- item_healthkit_medium = 50% Health
- item_healthkit_full = 100% Health
These are some general room dimensions from the popular maps to help gauge the proportions of your level. This section is not intended to provide detailed specifics on individual room layouts, decorations, etc.
|Ramp Room resupply||512||464||240|
|Long Hallway into Ramp Room||1024||128||180|
|Inner Sewer tunnel||1136||192||192|
|Inner Sewer water (puts out fire if crouched)||-||-||42|
- Main article: Map prefixes
- arena - Arena
- cp - Control Point
- ctf - Capture the Flag
- pl - Payload
- tc - Territorial Control
- plr - Payload Race
- koth - King of the Hill
- dm - Deathmatch
- core - Core Destruction game mode- must destroy primary the core to win the round.
- dom - Domination
- JUMP/rj - Fun skill maps that have little or no competitive fighting, but rather are for players to practice using Soldier or Demoman classes, using their explosive weaponry to propel themselves to difficult heights, or through difficult obstacles. (Examples include: rj_rocketeer, JUMP_HOBO)
- tr - Training
- kotf/ktf - King of the flag. The intel must be held for an allotted amount of time for a successful capture. Only one flag.
- surf - Surfing map (may be cp, ctf or just plain deathmatch)
- vip - Hunted map, to be used with the Hunted Mod
Some other useful reference info for mappers that didn't fit into the categories above:
- Maximum "walkable" height of a single stair step: 18
- Minimum width required to "walk" from one stair step to the another: 0.04
- Maximum height to fall from before taking damage: 269
- Maximum distance a spy can travel while cloaked: 3000
- Maximum distance a medic can travel while ubercharged: 3200
- Maximum distance a demoman can launch a sticky grenade: 1600
- Maximum surface height an engineer can build on by jumping from the top of a sentry: 188
- Maximum slope an engineer can build on: 17/32 (rise/run)
- Maximum detection range of a sentry gun: 1024
- Minimum ceiling height required for an engineer to build a:
- dispenser: 64
- sentry: 68
- teleporter: 95
- Maximum distance a demoman can charge using the Chargin' Targe: 1152
- The Source of many numbers on this page come from the mapping reference "Tutorial Heights" by Amakiir.
- August 15, 2009
- Description: "I have color coded the map. Orange means all classes. Red means scout. White means double jump where one is a normal jump and one is a Force-A-Nature jump. Blue means engineer. Starting clockwise from where you spawn: The maximum height of a fall without taking damage. ; The maximum height of a crouch jump. ; The maximum height of a normal double jump. ; The maximum height of a single jump followed by a Force-A-Nature shot aimed straight down. ; The maximum height of a triple jump. ; The minimum size of a hallway (height and width). [83 x 49 (height x width)]; The minimum size of a hallway in order to build a teleporter. [95 x57 (height x width)]; The maximum slope for constructing buildings upon. [85/160 (Rise/run)]; The maximum height an engineer can build (standing on a sentry gun). 
- Made by Amakiir