This article needs to be updated to include current information regarding the subject.
Synergy is primarily focused on implementing a multiplayer coop game-mode for Half-Life 2.
Players : Get together with friends to complete individual or serialized coop maps, using new tactics to overcome new challenges and foes.
Level Designers: To support a wide range of scenarios and gameplay, Synergy provides many useful features for level designers; including a very handy EDT system that allows you to tweak your entities without having to recompile your BSP after every adjustment! Synergy allows level creators to script their own story and/or mission objectives; each level can contain a number of objectives - rescue an NPC, defend a base, secure checkpoints, attack and defend, assassinate a enemy VIP, and so on.
- Coop gameplay through every chapter in the Half-Life 2, Lost Coast, Episode One and Episode Two campaigns.
- Cooperative support for the following single-player mods:
- Dozens of custom maps designed specifically for coop gameplay.
- Multi-passenger vehicles.
- Player Command Menu.
- Simple Voting System.
- EDT System (allows modification of a map's cvars and entities without recompiling the BSP).
- NPC Lag Compensation.
- Dynamic Player Checkpoints.
- Custom entities for Teamplay game-mode.
- Voice Commands.
- Weapon and Ammo sharing.
- Healing System.
- And more coming...
The Synergy mod grew from the merger of the Dev Coop and DC Coop 2 mod projects. In 2005, there were only three people working on Dev Coop without any real plans to release a public version. DC Coop 2 had around six active contributors and a Half-Life(1) mod called DC Coop. Since the first public release of Synergy (Beta 1.0) in September 2005, the team has continued to work on improvements, updates and features.
While Synergy Beta 1.0 supported only the coop game mode, Beta 2.0 added support for Teamplay and Deathmatch game modes and many other custom features for level designers.
With Synergy 1.1, support was added for Episode One features, resources and maps, and shifted the codebase dependency to Source SDK Base and Half Life 2.
Synergy OB added support for Episode Two content and singleplayer, in this version Teamplay and Deathmatch and Scripted NPCs were removed.
In 2012 the Synergy Development Team returned to actively developing Synergy and released Synergy 2013 after months of development. Synergy 2013, the current version, is based on Source SDK 2013 and has many new features including support for the Oculus Rift and Mac and Linux versions of the mod, the mod also runs on valve's console the Steam Machine.
- Beta 1.0 - September 8, 2005
- Beta 2.0 - November 18, 2006
- Beta 2.1 - December 8, 2006
- Beta 2.2 - January 19, 2007
- Beta 2.3 - March 2, 2007
- Beta 2.4 - April 27, 2007
- Beta 2.5 - August 17, 2007
- Beta 2.6 - October 26, 2007
- Release 1.0 - December 7, 2007
- Release 1.1 - January 11, 2008
- Steam Release - October 3, 2008
- v35 - February 4, 2012
- SteamPipe Release / Synergy 2013: September 3, 2013
Our main media galleries can be found at the following two locations:
- Level Designer
- We're always looking for some people who know how to map and would like to learn how to use some of the new features in Synergy.
- 3D Artist
- We've got some weapons that need to be modeled (and animated), so if you're interested and feel up to the task, please send us an email.
- 2D Artist
- We need someone who can texture those weapons.