Swarm Mod wizard complete
You have successfully completed the Alien Swarm mod wizard! The folder you chose to install to now has several sub-folders beneath it:
- For your uncompiled VMF map files.
- For your uncompiled Materials.
- For your uncompiled Models.
- The Alien Swarm SDK C++ source code.
Additionally, a folder with your mod's name has been created in
<Steam>\steamapps\sourcemods\. This is from where files compiled from the folders above will be loaded, and is all that people playing your mod need.
Setting up the solution
- Once it's done copying, go to the location you specified for the mod and go into the src folder.
- Go inside the game/server folder and double click on swarm_sdk_server.vcproj. This will load the project into visual studio.
- In the solution explorer, right click on solution and choose Add -> Existing project. Add both these projects to your solution:
- Do File -> Save All and it will prompt you to save your solution somewhere, e.g. game/mymod.sln
Building and testing your mod
- With all the projects added to your solution, you can do:
- Build -> Configuration Manager.
- Select Release. Then press OK.
- Build -> Rebuild Solution. This will make it compile all 3 dlls and copy them to your C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\sourcemods\mymod\bin folder.
- Now restart Steam and your mod should appear in your games library.
Setting up Visual Studio for debugging
To run your mod from the debugger:
- In Visual Studio, in the Solution Explorer, right click on whichever project is set as your startup project (it will be shown in bold).
- Select Properties.
- Click Configuration Properties -> Debugging.
- In the Command box, enter:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\alien swarm\swarm.exe
- For the Command Arguments:
-sw -dev -game ../../sourcemods/<mymod>
(where "<mymod>" is replaced with your mod name)
- For the Working Directory:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\alien swarm
If you have Steam installed in a different location than "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam" you will need to adjust the paths accordingly.
- You can now press F5 in Visual Studio to build your mod and launch it.
Alien Swarm Documentation
- Swarm C++ Code Overview
- Swarm Mapping basics
- Swarm Campaign Add-on Tutorial
- Swarm Objectives
- Swarm Overview Map
- Swarm Placing Doors
Source SDK Documentation
There are many areas in modding. For a complete overview, visit the main SDK Docs page. Many of these articles were created for the Episode 1 or Orange Box SDK, but they still apply for Alien Swarm. Here are some highlights for beginners:
- General advice
- From Valve
- From other modders
- Choosing a compiler
- Your First Entity
- Setting up source control
- Hammer documentation
- Modeling & Animation
- XSI Mod Tool
- Exporting a model
- Model Creation Overview
- Art & Sound
- Material Creation
- Choreography creation
Help is available from:
- The Source SDK FAQ
- The Steam User Forums
- The hlcoders mailing list and IRC channel (for programmers)
- The Noesis Interactive 'Mod Your World' tutorial series (various aspects of Source modding)
- The discussion page for each article - like this one's
- If you still can't find what you need here, give the Modding Sites section a look.