Steam 3rd Party Mod Support
Getting the most out of Steam for your Mod
There are a two things you should do to make your Mod more visible in Steam.
- Get your Mod listed under the "Store" tab. To do this add an entry to Category:HL2_Third_Party_Mods or Category:HL1_Third_Party_Mods using these guidelines:
- 1. Have a short 50 words or less description of the game.
- 2. Include 5 screenshots in .jpg format. The width of the screenshots can be no greater that 1024px, but the aspect ratio is up to you.
If your Mod becomes one of the top Mod's being played then you will appear in the store using the information you supplied in the above post.
- Setup a developer link in the "My Games" page when a user installs your Mod.
- For Source Mods include a "developer" and "developer_url" key in your gameinfo.txt file. For example:
"developer" "Us" "developer_url" "http://www.foo.com"
- For HL1 Mods include a "developer" and a "developer_url" line in your liblist.gam. Steam will also fall back to use a "url_info" line if it exists. For example:
developer "Us" developer_url "http://www.foo.com"
We are investigating allowing mods to add a custom icon to the "My Games" page. Details will be posted here if and when it is implemented.