Instructions for setting up combined logging for SteamVR.
1) Set environment variable to tell SteamVR to output a combined log file. From the Start menu, type 'env', wait a second for Windows to prompt you to 'Edit environment variables for your account', then hit return. Click 'New' in the top section and set:
- Variable name: VR_COMBINED_LOGGING
- Variable value: 1
2) Install two helper tools:
- Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools (for tail.exe). It will prompt you about compatibility; just click Run Program.
- ConEmu - A powerful command prompt that supports ANSI colors, and has a nice Quake-style fold up option using Ctrl+Tilde.
3) Open NotePad, paste the following, and save as log.cmd in C:\Users\<your username> (update paths if different).
- "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\tail.exe" -f "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\logs\vrcombined_log.txt" | grcat openvr.log
4) Launch SteamVR once to ensure vrcombined_log.txt gets generated. Then launch ConEmu (which should default to your User folder used above), type log, hit enter and you're done. Just leave it running and it'll update as SteamVR spits out data to its various logs.