Source SDK SE2 Bugs
This page is for reporting bugs in the Current Version Of the Source SDK, Currently known as SE2.
This page has been cleared to accept new reports for the November 2007 release of the SDK. For older bug reports, see August 2006 Community Buglist.
Note: After the new SDK has been updated, it's very important to Reset Game Configuration before the Episode Two hammer can be launched. The Episode One hammer is now both buggy and crashy for some strange reason, and I wont recommend using it at all. --Sortie 15:23, 8 Nov 2007 (PST)
For any problem you're having, try running the Episode 1 compatible SDK with any existing maps or mods first. This is done by adding "-engine ep1" to your command line options when you run the Source SDK. You can do this by right clicking on the SourceSDK, going to properties, and clicking on "Set launch options..." Put "-engine ep1" in the dialog, and hit ok. Now try running it again. This will put hammer back to how it was before this update.
- 1 Work Arounds
- 2 Reports
- 2.1 Episode One SDK Issues
- 2.2 Hammer Material Browser
- 2.3 Light Preview Issues
- 2.4 Hammer VGUI Model Browser
- 2.5 Texture Keywords Lockup
- 2.6 Point_spotlight
- 2.7 2D Draw View Issues
- 2.8 3D Draw View Issues
- 2.9 General Model Viewer issues
- 2.10 Engine Faults
- 2.11 Compile Tools
- 3 See also
Any work arounds to fix issues with the SE2 release of the SDK should be added to this section. Bug reports should be added to the report section.
Recommended/Temporary Solution For: "Missing material..."&"Can't load File..."
- You must add this to the launch options for the Source SDK (or use the workaround below) in order to edit games that run using the Ep1 version of the Source engine. (However it seems this hammer version has a lot of errors and the model viewer crashes the editor constantly, Sortie 13:08, 8 Nov 2007 (PST))
- To see original document Follow the next link.
- Note: This workaround doesn't support compiling, the files located somewhere else now, and can't connect to MaterialSystem.dll and Steam_FileSystem.dll. Use the below work around if you want at least to be able to compile for Episode Two.
Update Released 20:33, 8 Nov 2007 (PST)
- Error Solved however hammer settings can be changed to start with "-engine ep1" however as stated above compiling does not function in this mode.
- Update has caused new errors.
--Stalker 20:33, 8 Nov 2007 (PST)
Mod Enabling Workaround via Fake Search Paths
I got mods working by changing the gameinfo.txt to use SteamAppId 420, this appearently loads some stuff from the Episode Two gcf's that enables the missing features. In such a case you don't want to use the Episode Two engine for your mod yet (and you don't want to, you can't use your own Binaries for server.dll and client.dll), follow these instructions to stabilize hammer:
- Get into a working state of the Ep2 Hammer, try use Episode Two as Current Game
- Go to Tools -> Options.
- Select [Your Modname here] and change the location from:
$SteamDir\SteamApps\SourceMods\[Your Mod Folder Here]\ to $SteamDir\SteamApps\SourceMods\[Your Mod Folder Here]\SDK2007
- Open your Mod Folder and create a new subfolder named SDK2007.
- Insert a copy of your regular gameinfo.txt into SDK2007.
- Open the file and alter SteamAppId to SteamAppId 420 in order to use Ep2 content for hammer.
- Most important change |gameinfo_path|. to "..\..\..\..\SourceMods\[Your Mod Folder Here]"
- This search path is based relatively to the Orange Box Bin folder within sourcesdk/bin/. You can't use |gameinfo_path|. because it points to the folder which this fake gameinfo.txt lies within, and thus contains no data. Neither is .. possible since Source prevents escaping the root folder using ....
- Lastly launch hammer, hammer will now load the fake gameinfo.txt and work, and your Steam/Your Mod should use the correct one. In such case the fake gameinfo.txt shows up on the games list, just ignore it until a final patch is released.
- This workaround should enable the modelviewer, the 3d views and the 2d views and all the new Ep2 features without your mod being ported to it at all.
Note: Compiling is only possible via the Episode Two tools. These tools don't work with Episode One, and forces you to play the map as an Episode Two mod, which doesn't support a pair of custom Server.dll and Client.dll files. Note Edit: A 1024unit^3 cubic test map containing nothing but a player start, works unexpectingly ingame. This hints that it's not the file format but something else that is crashing the game. Please try to make some test maps and see if you can find out what, and post it here. I imagine lighting or displacement maps. (Written by Sortie 08:46, 8 Nov 2007 (PST))
Any issues with the SE2 release of the SDK should be addressed here. If there's a working work around, add it to the work around section.
Episode One SDK Issues
- Valve/Steam seem to have solved this issue although others have taken it's place, remove the <-s>Strikeout<-/s> if the error is persistent for you.
* I'm getting a "Missing material 'editor/flatnocull'" error. It only happens when I insert a custom mod into the gameconfig.txt. I'm wondering if all my paths are correct. Gonna check and report back if I can fix it.--Spektre1 13:14, 7 Nov 2007 (PST)
- I'm also getting "Can't load FileSystemOpenDialog.dll" when Hammer first opens, when running a custom mod. --Spektre1 13:21, 7 Nov 2007 (PST)
- Definitely seems to be an issue with the ep2 Hammer. If I switch over to Ep1, it runs everything fine. We're gonna need a list of what changes are necessary to upgrade our content and mod to Ep2. I'd want to do that if for nothing else than the new hammer stuff like turning off Nodraw faces. I LOVE that feature. --Spektre1 15:27, 7 Nov 2007 (PST)
- I get the same "Missing material 'editor/flatnocull'" for custom mods, maybe we are suposed to use Ep1 untill mods also got updated? --Bluestrike 14:03, 7 Nov 2007 (PST)
- I don't think it's just with the mod's when i try and open hammer it give me that same "Can't load FileSystemOpenDialog.dll" but when i ignore it and continue i get the "Missing material 'editor/flatnocull'" error, and the hammer flashes that like 7 times and then freezes and shuts down. Whatever the problem Valve/Steam needs to fix it soon. I am in the middle of making a map.--Stalker 19:26, 7 Nov 2007 (PST)--
- Exact same problem here. Adding -engine ep1 to the launch options seems to have fixed both errors.A newbie
- I am having even stranger issues. When I open hammer in orangebox i get the usual "Can't load FileSystemOpenDialog.dll" error, but if I switch over to the episode one, all of my materials in my map are gone and the models render as weird infinite lines in the 3D view. The map doesn't even open in the orangebox side. I don't know what valve did but this is really frustrating. I am in the middle of a map as well. -Raider666
- Well hi. The Episode One version doesn't work at all as you pointed out. In order to fix the Episode Two hammer, click the Reset Game Configuration in Source SDK Launcher. Then it should work, eventually try my work above above.
Hammer Material Browser
I just started getting this one. Clicking "Browse..." causes Hammer to lock up, and become unresponsive to any input. I have to kill it with Task Manager. --Spektre1 00:38, 9 Nov 2007 (PST)
Light Preview Issues
- My 3D light preview makes things black, #d raycast seems to freeze hammer and has the same effect as 3d light preview. My cpu is barely doing anything. --Bluestrike 14:03, 7 Nov 2007 (PST)
Note: The 3D Light Preview is only experimental and isn't release publicly. This will be addressed in the next SDK release.
Hammer VGUI Model Browser
- Hammer crashes when entering the Model browser, after the Episode 2 SDK update. Solokiller 13:18, 7 Nov 2007 (PST)
- Fix: Extract Advisor.jpg from Source Models.gcf (it's under hl2/models) and
place it in "Half-Life 2 Episode Two/ep2/models"
And that should fix the crashing with hlmv. --Frostbite 14:27, 7 Nov 2007 (PST) Note: This and other errors are caused by hammer requiring content from the Episode Two GCF's. Use the searchpath workaround to mount this content.
Attempted the searchpath workaround from above, but kept getting the crash error. What is the path to the models folder? Is it "Program Files\Steam\steamapps\username\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\models"? IF it is, it didn't exist on two machines, and the fix suggested with the Advisor.jpg didn't work by adding in the \models folder. --Dave M 00:34, 9 Nov 2007 (PST)
Texture Keywords Lockup
- Hammer seems to lock up for me after I enter a keyword in the texture browser (filter works fine). Bug? --Baliame 13:20, 7 Nov 2007 (PST)
- It's always done this. Leave it for long enough and it'll complete the operation, and be instant next time you try. --TomEdwards 07:53, 8 Nov 2007 (PST)
- Point_spotlight model is "ERROR" in Portal (not tested in any other games). --Baliame 14:23, 7 Nov 2007 (PST)
- It does this for all Source Games :( --Frostbite 14:28, 7 Nov 2007 (PST)
2D Draw View Issues
Missing rotate cursor
The rotate cursor is missing when the mouse is above one of the rotate vertices when rotating a brush in the 2D view. Sortie 09:15, 8 Nov 2007 (PST)
3D Draw View Issues
Low Resolution Textures in 3D views
For some reason Hammer draws all things, including entity's, at a very low texture setting. As if it was a game and the settings had texture resolution set to very, very low.--Gear 14:31, 7 Nov 2007 (PST)
Yeah, I have the same problem. It seems linked to the problem of the resetting of the Very High texture setting to low, in all Source 2007 games. It's really annoying, and it seems like I can't find any fix within the Windows Registry. Going to look at some launch options right now and see if there's any fixes there. I imagine something like -DXLevel 81 should make an inpact. Sortie 08:46, 8 Nov 2007 (PST)
Yeah it is horrible, mainly when it comes to sizing textures and aligning them correctly.--Gear 12:30, 8 Nov 2007 (PST)
Well, aligning is piece of cake, just remember to use the Left, Right, Top, Buttom, Center, Fit tools. Well that was a lie. :P. Sizing is another problem that always has been within the SDK, better support for scales with more than two decimals, which is, really really usefull within the 3D skybox. Uh, and try to keep the === subcatagories, so we can arrange this article before it goes crazy. Uh, and if any Valve guys read this, mind to increase the Overlay limit? I'm running a litle low here. ;-) Sortie 12:42, 8 Nov 2007 (PST)
Overlay limit FTL, we need a better one.--Gear 12:46, 8 Nov 2007 (PST)
3D Shaded Texture Polygons bug
- When 3d Shaded Textured Polygons is selected, all textures are rendered fullbright except for textures which are solid colour, e.g. all the white texture lights and the orange glow from Portal. Only these textures are shaded. Got Lag? 19:58, 7 Nov 2007 (PST)
- I have quite the opposite but this is after the update. When editing CS:S maps the 3D texture screen does not display objects as 3D objects but merely as lines. Also when objects are selected in any mode Hammer freezes and shuts down.
General Model Viewer issues
*When opening the Model Viewer with my custom mod configuration for the Source SDK, the program doesn't load up the model browser when clicking on
Load Model.... There was no error report generated. --Jurgen Knops 06:41, 8 Nov 2007 (PST)
Missing Episode One support for Episode Two maps
Episode One mods can't use the BSP's generated by the new compile tools, it crashes with a memory-couldn't-be-read message doing load. Of course I can just play the mod with Episode Two as game, but then my own binaries wont be used, and I'm playing vanilla Episode Two, which sucks within a mod. As said beneath, nor can I compile for Episode one, which sucks too. Sortie 13:00, 8 Nov 2007 (PST)
Missing support for Ep1 Compile Tools
Seems as I can't use the Episode One compile tools while running the Episode Two hammer (which is the only one who actually works good), vbsp can't load MaterialSystem.dll
Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Dec 11 2006) 1 threads Can't load MaterialSystem.dll
As I said above, I need to use the Episode One compile tools in order to play the maps within the game, so a quick fix/work around for this would be pretty appreciated. Sortie 13:00, 8 Nov 2007 (PST)
Compilation Errors in Game
I a slightly different problem; after compiling a map a receive an problem in console stating the "map is out of constraint" or something or other message meaning it's too big. so i am assuming that would be an issue with compiling. I got this error after running Hammer with -engine ep1--Stalker 17:12, 8 Nov 2007 (PST)