The Source Filmmaker (codename BoxRocket) is an unreleased in-game video editing and recording tool. It has been used internally by Valve to create all of their promotional videos since Prelude to Victory.
It was mistakenly released during the 2007 Team Fortress 2 beta and used by many before the whole tools system was deactivated. The released build is incompatible with the current build of Source.
The Source Filmmaker is in the pipeline for a public release as of March 2011.
Filmmaker allows you to:
- Record footage to uncompressed AVI directly from the engine
- Record yourself performing one part, then rewinding and record yourself performing another
- Publish videos to directly Steam
- Control camera placement and movement
- Add per-object motion blur and depth of field
- Import choreography scenes