Source Engine Beta Bug Reports
If you find any bugs, please edit this page with a description of the problem.
A helpful bug format is:
Please use the correct section when reporting your issues.
Although this page is long, please do try to see if your issue has been previously reported using your browser's Find or Search function.
- Source Engine Beta -- General bugs releated to Source Beta engine.
- Games -- Bugs that affect games only as a result of the beta update.
- Mods -- Bugs that affect mods only as a result of the beta update.
Source Engine Beta
General bugs releated to Source Beta engine.
- Expected: The server info and buttons are propertly displayed (See picture- Taken without the beta command)
- Observed: The server info text and certain buttons are messed up (See picture - Taken with beta command)
- Steps to Reproduce: Enter and Source based game (This was tested on HL2DM and CS:S), Open the server browser, pick any server and click on View server info.
- RP 04:16, 12 May 2006 (PDT)
- This is a problem in HLDMS too, regardless of whether the beta in in use. --TomEdwards 06:27, 12 May 2006 (PDT)
No Cursors ingame
- Expected: (CS:S, DoD:S) Cursor available after a kick, to close the kick window and go back to the main menu. Cursor ingame to close the modt or to cancel a mapchange.
- Observed: (CS:S, DoD:S) No Cursor, you have to use the enter button, after a kick you have to close the game by taskmanager.
- Steps to reproduce: Join a game or get kicked
- DeepBlue 16:55, 12 May 2006 (GMT)
- I was kicked from a Garry's Mod server just now and had the cursor as normal. --TomEdwards 08:57, 12 May 2006 (PDT)
- Gmod is based on HL2 code and not HL2DM code if i'm not mistaken--RP 06:12, 13 May 2006 (PDT)
Black screen during initial load
- Expected: Menu background image with 'Loading' notice displayed during menu load
- Observed: Black screen with cursor during menu load
- TomEdwards 06:53, 13 May 2006 (PDT)
- Which game are you seeing this on? I am unable to reproduce this behavior in any of the beta-affected games.
- Just to be clear, is this regarding the initial load screen that is after the Valve logo movie and before the main menu?
- --JasonD 11:34, 15 May 2006 (PDT)
- I sometimes get this in non beta games, when I start the mod up with the debugger attatched it will just go black as soon as it has loaded up the background image ^Ben 14:31, 15 May 2006 (PDT)
- I can corroborate Ben's reports, though not Tom's since I'm not running the beta. This is with Half-Life 2 loading with
-consoleadded to the launch options and with the game running in a window, not fullscreen. The loading screen appears and it does its load, but as soon as the console would appear and control be given to the user, the display instead is suddenly rendered full black with only a mouse pointer on top of it. The pointer can be used to "explore" the image (i.e. it will turn into a text cursor when hovered over where the console should be drawn) and console commands can be typed as normal (i.e. if you type
map whateverit will change the map and start drawing the screen as normal again). This is pretty infrequent for me, though it has happened at least four times in the past week or so. I'm running a GeF7800GS with driver version 5.70.02.33.05, if that's of any relevance. --Giles 15:32, 15 May 2006 (PDT)
Hammer Model Browser displays incorrectly
- Observed: The Model Browser isn't displayed correctly. See here
- Steps to reproduce: With the beta command, open Hammer and use the model browser. This doesn't happen if you aren't using the beta engine.
- Mendasp 09:16, 13 May 2006 (PDT)
Bugs that affect games only as a result of the beta update.
- Expected: Using the "Test Speakers" button should load up the sound test map.
- Observed: Loading the Test Speakers map causes a crash identical to that of the Video Stress Test crash. --Steamfraiser 13:10, 15 May 2006 (PDT)
- Expected: playdemo command initializes demo and runs as normal.
- Observed: playdemo command gives an error shown below if a .dem (Source TV) file created before the Beta engine was released, is run.
Initializing renderer... DataTable warning: No matching RecvTable for SendTable '*�'. Host_Error: DataTable_ParseClientTablesFromBuffer failed.
- Steps to Reproduce: Simply open a .dem file created before the Beta engine launched and look at the console.
- Infydave 18:14, 11 May 2006 (PDT)
- The demo function seems to be totally broken. --DeepBlue 17:55, 14 May 2006 (GMT)
White walls in Aztec
- Expected: The walls in Aztec to be properly textured as they have been.
- Observed: The walls have turned a very bright white. (See Picture)
- Steps to reproduce: Load Aztec using the BETA command. Happened in an online server and in a listen server even after a restart of CS: Source. Verifying the game cache for CS: Source did not work. Other maps (Dust, Italy, Havana) have appeared fine. The walls reverted back to normal after I removed the command and restarted Steam.
- Technical info: Windows XP (SP2), DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904), 1GB PC2700 RAM, GeForce 6800GT (AGP, 84.56 drivers), AMD Athlon 2500+ XP (Clocked at 1.83GHz [Stock]), SoundBlaster X-Fi ExtremeMusic soundcard.
- In-game settings: Model/Texture/Shadow/Shader - All HIGH, Water Detail - Reflect All, Color Correction - Disabled, AA - 4X, AF - 8X, VSync - Disabled, HDR - Full, Hardware DirectX v9.0+
- Zips 18:32, 11 May 2006 (PDT)
- I can confirm this as well for aztec... Windows XP SP2, DX9.0c, 1GB RAM @ 500mhz, GeForce 6800 GTO (PCIe 256mb, latest drivers), Pentium 4 3.2ghz w/ HT, Soundblaster Audigy Gamer. All ingame settings are set to high. AA is none and Color Correction is disabled. --Briguy992 15:16, 14 May 2006 (PDT)
- Confirmed as well. . . Windows XP SP2, DX9.0c, 1GB Ram @ 500mhz, ATI Radeon x800 PRO (AGP 8x 256mb w/ omega drivers), AMD Athalon64 3500+ @ 2.31ghz, Realtek AC'97 Audio, all settings set to highest possible values, Color correction on. --Steamfraiser 13:10, 15 May 2006 (PDT)
The startmovie command doesn't work
- Observed: When you try to make a movie using the startmovie command, the game only makes 1 picture then it freezes.
- Steps to reproduce: Make sure you're running CS:S in a window. There will be a little window in the background, which asks you which type of video-coder you want to use. That why it freezes up, because the focus is on that little window, and pauzes (or as you say, freezes) CS:S... --CrabbyData 08:59, 13 May 2006 (PDT)
Video Stress Test not working
- Observed: When loading the Video Stress Test it crashes to the desktop when it's almost done loading ("Initializing game data").
- Steps to Reproduce: Try to run the VST.
- Mendasp 06:28, 13 May 2006 (PDT)
- Confirmed it myself on CS:S (crashes right before the loads end)--RP 07:26, 13 May 2006 (PDT)
- Expected: Class menu (
,) displays the numbers of players in each class
- Observed: Class menu displays 0 for all classes except those with set limits (i.e. X/Y rather than just X), and except for the player's class, for which a 1 is shown.
- Steps to reproduce: Join a server with several other players, observe class numbers.
- TomEdwards 03:30, 12 May 2006 (GMT)
- I've not been able to reproduce this since. The server also seemed to have kill notifications disabled, so it could have been related to that. --TomEdwards 11:01, 12 May 2006 (PDT)
- I have this on EVERY server. DeepBlue 16:44, 13 May 2006 (GMT)
Bugs that affect mods only as a result of the beta update.