Softimage Mod Tool
XSI is the program used to make models for Source. There are three commercial versions, XSI Foundation, Essentials, and Advanced.
XSI Mod Tool
XSI Mod Tool (based on SOFTIMAGE|XSI Foundation 4.2) is available for free.
- Official Website
- Download it from: download.com, FilePlanet, FileShack
- Free registration needed
- Save scenes in .exp file format which commercial XSI can't read
- Can import .xsi, .3ds, .x files
- With Valve Source addon(ValveSource.0105.01.xsiaddon, found in
- Import/export .smd files(7,500-triangle limit for exported models)
- Import/export .vmf files
- Valve rigs(default, male, female, guide) included
- See also Version Limitations
Valve Source Add-On for XSI5.11 users
Valve Source Add-on that was included in SDK has problems with XSI5.0/5.11. Noesis Interactive has released updated Add-on for XSI5.11 users.
Generic XSI Tutorials
Quickstart Guide for Max/Maya/Lightwave users
- MAX to XSI Jumpstart
- DISCREET 3DS MAX TO SOFTIMAGE XSI TRANSITION TIPS
- Maya 2 XSI Quickstart Guide
- Lightwave 2 XSI Quick Start(pdf)
- Model Creation Overview
- Compiling Models
- Character Creation Overview
- Viewmodels in XSI
- Replacing HL2DM player models with XSI Mod Tool
- Converting brush structures in your map into a prop_static with XSI Mod Tool
- Getting Static Props into Source via XSI|EXP for HL2 by Joseph SpataroNote: File Structure in this tutorial is outdated. Replace
sourcesdk_content/cstrike. See Source SDK Files and Directory Structure for details.
- Creating a Simple Half-Life 2 Model Using XSI (A Simple Texture Mapped Cube that can be used as a prop_static) by Veazie
Creating a prop in XSI and Texturing it with Photoshop by FlashJackson - 1+ hour video tutorial that shows prop creation process from modeling, texturing to compiling. (Also On Main Page For Now of Redemtion Site http://redemptionmod.com/index.php Scroll to the bottom.)
Colt 1911 XSI Video Tutorial by desty - 5 hour video tutorial which shows the whole modeling process. Reference pictures and renders file are also available.
3D Buzz - "Introduction to XSI" 5 hour VTM series
Digital-Tutors - XSI free turorials
SourceSDK contains various character/weapon/vehicle sample scenes (.scn) for XSI. See
sourcesdk_content/<game name>/modelsrc/... You can replace the model to make your own characters/weapons/vehicles.
Also there is Korin XSI Mod Tool Scene data released by nkinta. It shows how to make an Alyx replacement model with full facial animations.