Softimage Mod Tool
Program used to make models for HL2. There are three commercial versions, XSI Foundation, Essentials, and Advanced.
XSI Mod Tool (Based on SOFTIMAGE|XSI Foundation 4.2) is available for FREE.Official Website
- Download it from: download.com, FilePlanet, FileShack
- Free registration needed
- Save scenes in .exp file format which commercial XSI can't read
- Can import .xsi, .3ds, .x files
- With Valve Source addon(ValveSource.0105.01.xsiaddon, found in
- Import/export .smd files(7,500-triangle limit for exported models)
- Import/export .vmf files
- Valve rigs(default, male, female, guide) included
- See also Version Limitations
Generic XSI Tutorials
Quickstart Guide for Max/Maya/Lightwave users
- MAX to XSI Jumpstart
- DISCREET 3DS MAX TO SOFTIMAGE XSI TRANSITION TIPS
- Maya 2 XSI Quickstart Guide
- Lightwave 2 XSI Quick Start(pdf)
- note: File Structure in this tutorial is outdated. Replace
sourcesdk_content/cstrike. See Source SDK Files and Directory Structure for details.
- Creating a Simple Half-Life 2 Model Using XSI (A Simple Texture Mapped Cube that can be used as a prop_static) by Veazie
Creating a prop in XSI and Texturing it with Photoshop by wisemx - 1+ hour video tutorial that shows prop creation process from modeling, texturing to compiling.
Colt 1911 XSI Video Tutorial by desty - 5 hour video tutorial which shows the whole modeling process. Reference pictures and renders file are also available.
3D Buzz - "Introduction to XSI" 5 hour VTM series
Digital-Tutors - XSI free turorials
SourceSDK contains various character/weapon/vehicle sample scenes (.scn) for XSI. See "sourcesdk_content/<game name>/modelsrc/..." You can replace the model to make your own characters/weapons/vehicles.
Also there is Korin XSI Mod Tool Scene data released by nkinta. It shows how to make an Alyx replacement model with full facial animations.