Softimage Mod Tool
- See Category:XSI for tutorials.
The Softimage Mod Tool (formerly XSI Mod Tool) is a completely free version of the professional Autodesk Softimage modeling package. It has most of the features of the professional versions (certainly everything you'll need for modding) and allows you to export your work to Source without restriction.
A Source engine plugin is available for Softimage Mod Tool 7.5 and 6. It offers:
- SMD export and import
- VMF export and import
- Weightmap export and import
- Various skeleton tools and sample rigs
It is recommended to use the latest mod tool version, as various bugs are fixed.
ValveSource.0105.01) is outdated and for Mod Tool 4.2, which there is no longer any reason to use.
The XSI Mod Tool supports most of the features and functionality of the commercial version of Softimage XSI 6. The following restrictions apply:
- Only DXFX and CGFX material types are supported; mental ray materials are not supported.
- Supports polygonal mesh primitives only.
- Exported geometry is limited to 64000 triangles.
- Mental ray renderer is used only for Rendermap and Ultimapper; all other mental ray rendering is disabled.
- Maximum resolution for Ultimapper maps is 512x512.
- Images output using the hardware renderer are limited to a maximum resolution of 512x512.
Migrating to Softimage
- MAX to XSI Jumpstart
- 3DS Max to XSI Transition Tips
- Maya to XSI Quickstart Guide
- LightWave to XSI Quick start (PDF)
- Autodesk Softimage - Official Site
- ModTool AREA::Discussions - Autodesk Community Forum
- Softimage Wiki - Official Wiki
- ValveSource tool plugin info (Dead link)
- XSI Game Forum & Mod Tool - XSI Community Forum