- Not to be confused with the $staticprop and allowstatic (Prop_data) QC commands.
prop_static is a internal point entity available in all Source games. It is used to cheaply add a model to the world. It cannot move, animate, or accept input, and doesn't exist as an entity after the map has been compiled. The vast majority of models in a typical map are
prop_statics. The limit is 8192 in and 16384 in . If the limit is reached, VBSP will fail to compile the map.
In order to enforce consistency of behaviour, models with embedded physics data cannot be
prop_static. Use the Hammer Model Browser's info tab to check for support.
- Collisions (solid)
- How the prop should interact with other objects.
- Screen Space Fade (screenspacefade)
- If enabled, the prop will fade out based on how many screen pixels it covers. The start and end fade distances come to represent the pixels that the prop covers at the start and end of its fade when this is enabled.
- Lighting Origin (lightingorigin)
info_lightingfrom which to sample lighting (instead of the model's origin). Disables per-vertex lighting.
- Disable Vertex lighting (disablevertexlighting)
- Prop will be lit uniformly with a lighting value sampled from its origin. Enable this if the entity is not shadowed by another object.
- Disable Self-Shadowing with vertex lighting (disableselfshadowing)
- When vertex lighting is enabled, prevent the geometry from self-shadowing -- casting shadows onto itself.
- Ignore surface normal for computing vertex lighting (ignorenormals)
- When vertex lighting is enabled, ignore the surface normal of faces when calculating the vertex lighting.
- Tip: Useful for thin, translucent objects such as leaves on foliage props.
- Alpha (renderamt)
- Alpha of the fade, where 0 is fully transparent and 255 is fully opaque.
- Render Color (R G B) (rendercolor)
- Tint the model with this color.
- Generate (and use) lightmaps for this static prop (generatelightmaps)
- Generate a lightmap for this prop. Requires
-StaticPropLightingto be enabled in VRAD. For more information, visit tf2maps.net.
- Note: Lightmapping can be also faked on static props using the Modulate shader in all games, although syncing the lighting can be difficult.
- Lightmap Resolution X (lightmapresolutionx)
- The resolution of the generated lightmap in the X (or U) direction. (Only used if Generate Lightmaps is Yes.)
- Lightmap Resolution Y (lightmapresolutiony)
- The resolution of the generated lightmap in the Y (or V) direction. (Only used if Generate Lightmaps is Yes.)
- Enable Bounced Lighting (enablelightbounce)
- Whether VRAD should create indirect lighting from this prop.
- Disable Prop Combine (preventpropcombine)
- Prevent this static prop from combining with any other static props in vbsp.
- Uniform Scaling (uniformscale)
- Evenly scales a given model along the X Y Z axis.
- Bug: In Hammer, undoing/redoing any changes (whether they are slight unit movements or scale changes) will result in the prop appearing 'normal' sized in the 3D Textured Viewport (the model only appears normal sized and the value given is still shown upon reload of the vmf).
- World Model (model)
- The model this entity should appear as. 128-character limit.
- Skin (skin)
- Some models have multiple skins. This value selects from the index, starting with 0. Tip: Hammer's model browser automatically updates this value if you use it to view different skins.
- Model Scale (modelscale)
- A multiplier for the size of the model.
- Disable Shadows (disableshadows)
- Prevents the entity from creating cheap render-to-texture shadows, or lightmap shadows if the entity is a
prop_static. Does not affect shadow mapping.
- Disable ShadowDepth (disableshadowdepth)
- Used to disable rendering into shadow depth (for projected textures) for this entity.
- Projected Texture Cache (shadowdepthnocache)
- Used to hint projected texture system whether it is sufficient to cache shadow volume of this entity or to force render it every frame instead.
- 0 : Default
- 1 : No cache - render every frame
- 2 : Cache it - render only once
- Render in Fast Reflections (drawinfastreflection)
- If enabled, this entity will render in fast water reflections (i.e. when a water material specifies
$reflectonlymarkedentities) and in the world impostor pass.
- Start Fade Dist (fademindist)
- Distance at which the prop starts to fade.
- End Fade Dist (fademaxdist)
- Max fade distance at which the prop is visible.
- If start fade is <0, the prop will disappear instantly when end fade is hit.
- If end fade is <0, the prop won't disappear at all. (This is the default behaviour.)
- The values will scale appropriately if the prop is in a 3D Skybox.
- Fade Scale (fadescale)
- If you specify so in worldspawn, or if the engine is running below DirectX 8 (DX7 in Ep1), props will fade out even if the fade distances above aren't specified. This value gives you some control over when this happens: numbers smaller than 1 cause the prop to fade out at further distances, and greater than 1 cause it to fade out at closer distances. Using 0 turns off the forced fade altogether. See also the QC command $noforcedfade.
- Minimum DX Level
- The entity will not exist if the engine is running outside the given range of DirectX Versions. Replaced by SystemLevelChoice from Left 4 Dead onwards.
- Warning: If these are used, the object may break when the user switches their DirectX settings.
- Maximum DX Level
- Minimum CPU Level
- A user with a CPU level lower than this will not see this object rendered in-game. CPU levels are determined by the Effect detail setting.
- Maximum CPU Level
- 0: Default
- 1: Low
- 2: Medium
- 3: High
- Minimum GPU Level
- A user with a GPU level lower than this will not see this object rendered in-game. GPU levels are determined by the Shader detail setting.
- Maximum GPU Level
- 0: Default
- 1: Very low
- 2: Low
- 3: Medium
- 4: High
- Pitch Yaw Roll (Y Z X)
- This entity's orientation in the world. Pitch is rotation around the Y axis, yaw is the rotation around the Z axis, roll is the rotation around the X axis.
- targetname <target_source>
- The name that ship_base_interaction entities refer to this entity by.
Error! prop_static using model "[model]", which must be used on a dynamic entity (i.e. prop_physics). Deleted.
- Either your model is missing $staticprop or there is no "allowstatic 1" in prop_data qc file.
- If for some reason your model located incorrectly, check declared bone name in $definebone of a model, it should be without any slashes, also check position there, values should be zeroed.
- Additional info about prop_static can be found there.