Portal 2 Puzzle Maker/Common Issues
If when you try to build your level you get an error that says unable to build level it is most likely you have created something the editor can't render.
Examples of this is:
- Having too many items on your map. To fix this just remove some items on your map.
- The map you are working on in the editor may disappear completely, sometimes from zooming in/out and will not come back.
- When an open door is reflected in goo, you can see the 2 sides of the door that go into the wall (You are not suppose to see when the door is open)
- If an enabled funnel is pointed at the entrance way, it will come through the 2nd entrance door.
If you have Portal 2 Authoring Tools installed, verify the game files. Do this by opening Steam and right-clicking on Portal 2 Authoring Tools, then select Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity of Tool Cache. It will then download any broken or missing files. If this doesn't work, you can try uninstalling the Portal 2 Authoring Tools.
Item Entity Costs
Large puzzles with many items may result in a "too many items" error. The item limit is set at 1750 items, though what this actually refers to is what are known as "entities" within the Hammer editor. Many of the test elements are actually comprised of multiple entities. The following is a list of test elements and their entity counts, originally posted on the Portal 2 Steam Forums.
- Lifts: 44
- Stairs: 13
- Moving Platforms (vertical or horizontal, one square): 13 plus 1 or 2 (approximate) for each additional square of track
- Faith Plates: 9
- Cube Droppers (of all kinds): 33
- Paint Droppers (of all kinds): 15
- White Paint Splat: 9
- Blue/Orange/Cleansing Splat: 8
- Fizzlers: 5 base + 9 per unit height (including the first, so 14 for one-high, 23 for two-high, etc)
- Laser Barrier Emitters: 14 (height changes not tested but probably similar to fizzlers)
- Tractor Emitters: 8
- Laser Emitters: 6
- Light Bridge Emitters: 4
- Laser Catchers: 4
- Laser Relay: 3
- Angle Panels: 13
- Glass Panels: 12
- Flip Panel: 8
- Pedestal Buttons: 6
- Floor Buttons (of all kinds): 3
- Cubes and Spheres (of all kinds, including Franken): 4
- Turrets: 3
- Pools of Goo: 1
- Decorative Light Bars: 3
- Small Observation Window: 2
- Grating: 2 per square
- Glass: 1 per square