Killing a poison zombie does NOT necessarily result in the deaths of the poison headcrabs it is carrying, even if the zombie is killed with an explosive weapon. A hit with the AR2 secondary fire will sometimes eliminate both the zombie and the headcrabs in one blow.
Dedicated Console Variables
- sk_zombie_poison_dmg_spit <int>
- Spit damage (Default: 20).
- sk_zombie_poison_health <int>
- A poison zombie's spawn health (Default: 175).
- Values for
- Squad Name
- NPCs that are in the same squad (i.e. have matching squad names) will share information about enemies, and will take turns attacking and covering each other.
- Hint Group
- Hint groups are used by NPCs to restrict their hint-node searching to a subset of the map's hint nodes. Only hint nodes with matching hint group names will be considered by this NPC.
- Hint Limit Nav
- Limits NPC to using specified hint group for navigation requests, but does not limit local navigation.
- Sleep State
- Holds the NPC in stasis until specified condition. See also 'Wake Radius' and 'Wake Squad'.
- 0: None
- 1: Waiting for threat
- 2: Waiting for PVS
- 3: Waiting for input, ignore PVS
- 4: Auto PVS
- 5: Auto PVS after PVS
- Wake Radius
- Auto-wake if player within this distance
- Wake Squad
- Wake all of the NPCs squadmates if the NPC is woken
- Ignore unseen enemies
- Prefer visible enemies, regardless of distance or relationship priority
- Physics Impact Damage Scale
- Scales damage energy when this character is hit by a physics object. With a value of 0 the NPC will take no damage from physics.
- Disable Shadows
- Prevents the entity from creating cheap render-to-texture shadows, or lightmap shadows if the entity is a
prop_static. Does not affect shadow mapping.
- Disable ShadowDepth
- Used to disable rendering into shadow depth (for projected textures) for this entity.
- Projected Texture Cache
- Used to hint projected texture system whether it is sufficient to cache shadow volume of this entity or to force render it every frame instead.
- 0 : Default
- 1 : No cache - render every frame
- 2 : Cache it - render only once
- Render Mode
- Set a non-standard rendering mode on this entity.
- Render FX / Transparency (0 - 255)
- Transparency amount, requires a Render Mode other than Normal. 0 is invisible, 255 is fully visible.
- Render Color (R G B)
- Color tint.
- Disable Receiving Shadows
- Prevent the entity from receiving shadows on itself.
- Render FX
- Preset pattern of appearance effects.
- Pitch Yaw Roll (Y Z X)
- This entity's orientation in the world. Pitch is rotation around the Y axis, yaw is the rotation around the Z axis, roll is the rotation around the X axis.
- Entity Scripts
- Space delimited list of VScript files (without file extension) that are executed after all entities have spawned. The scripts are all executed in the same script scope, later ones overwriting any identical variables and functions.
- Script think function
- Name of a function in this entity's script which will be called automatically every 100 milliseconds (ten times a second) for the duration of the script. It can be used to create timers or to simulate autonomous behavior. The return value (if present) will set the time until the next call. Note: Try to avoid expensive operations in this function, as it may cause performance problems.
- Allow Physics Gun
- If set, players cannot use Physics Gun on this entity.
- Sandbox Tool Whitelist
- If set, only given tools can be used on this entity. You need to supply the tool class names, the names of the .lua files of those tools. This also includes the context menu properties!
- Crabs in nest
- The number of additional black headcrabs the zombie is spawned with besides the controlling headcrab.
Literal Value Description 1 1 Crab 2 2 Crabs 3 3 Crabs
1] : Wait Till Seen
- Prevents this NPC from seeing (or being seen) until it enters a player's viewcone.
2] : Gag (No IDLE sounds until angry)
4] : Fall to ground (unchecked means *teleport* to ground)
8] : Drop Healthkit
- Causes this NPC to drop an
16] : Efficient - Don't acquire enemies or avoid obstacles
128] : Wait For Script
- Forces this NPC to "wait" in an idle state until it finishes playing a
256] : Long Visibility/Shoot
- By default, increases a NPC's sight range to
6,000units and allows it to attack from anywhere within that distance.
512] : Fade Corpse
1024] : Think outside PVS
- Allows this NPC to run its regular AI outside of any player's PVS.
2048] : Template NPC
- Marks this NPC as a template for entities like
npc_template_maker. The NPC will not spawn on its own. This is not needed for
4096] : Do Alternate collision for this NPC (player avoidance)
- Note: This flag is disabled in episodic for player companions because the
StartScriptinginput does this.
8192] : Don't drop weapons
16384] : Ignore player push
- Don't give way to player
SetRelationship <string|targetname or classname> <string|disposition> <int|rank>
- Changes whether this NPC likes or dislikes certain others. Used like the ai_relationship entity, with this NPC as the subject.
- Values for
- Set the NPC's health.
- Add to or remove from the NPC's health.
- HACK: Sets this NPC's body group (from 0 - n).
- Scales the damage taken when this character is hit by a physics object. 0 means this feature is disabled for backwards compatibility.
- Burst into flames.
- Ignite for the given number of seconds.
- Ignite with the given number of hitbox fires.
- Ignite with the given hitbox fire scale.
- Smash into pieces. If this is not possible, disappear.
- Remove itself and instantly become a ragdoll with zero force (just go limp). OnDeath, etc. Outputs will NOT be fired.
- Enter/exit scripting state, where NPCs ignore a variety of stimulus that would make them break out of their scripts. They ignore danger sounds, ignore +USE, don't idle speak or respond to other NPC's idle speech, and so on.
- Change the name of this NPC's squad. Leaving the parameter blank will remove the NPC from any existing squad.
- Wakes up the NPC if it is sleeping.
- Clears out the NPC's knowledge of a named entity.
- Gagged NPCs won't speak (or moan, caw, etc.) unless made to be a choreographed scene.
- Ignore danger sounds for the specified number of seconds.
- Force the NPC to holster or unholster their weapon. Ignored if the NPC is scripting or if the NPC doesn't use weapons.
- Same as
HolsterWeapon, except the weapon is destroyed once it has been concealed.
ForceInteractionWithNPC <string> <string>
- Force the NPC to use a dynamic interaction with another NPC. Syntax is
<targetname> <dynamic interaction>
- Update (or create) this NPC's memory of of the given entity.
- Sets the maximum look distance for the NPC. Defaults are 2048 and 6000 for long range NPCs.
- Sets the entity's transparency to a number from 0 (invisible) to 255 (fully visible). Requires the entity to have its Render Mode (rendermode) set to a number other than
- Sets an RGB color for the entity.
- Removes this entity from the world.
- Removes this entity and its children from the world. Note: Entities already remove orphaned children upon being removed, but this input removes all children on the same frame, being marginally faster than
- Adds a keyvalue/output to this entity. It can be potentially very dangerous, use with care.
<output name> <targetname>:<inputname>:<parameter>:<delay>:<max times to fire, -1 means infinite>
- Fire the
OnUseroutputs; see User Inputs and Outputs.
- Same as a player invoking +use; may not do anything depending on the entity. Can also be invoked by firing an output that does not specify an input.
- Execute a VScript file from disk, without file extension. The script contents are merged with the script scope of the receiving entity.
- Execute a string of VScript source code in the scope of the entity receiving the input. String quotation may be needed when fired via console. Bug: In , the code is executed in the script scope of the entity that fires the output, not the one receiving the input.Warning: Never try to pass string parameters to a script function with this input. It will corrupt the VMF structure because of the nested quotation marks, which then must be removed manually with a text editor.
- Execute a VScript function in the scope of the receiving entity.
- Send this entity to a spot in the map. If the entity is parented to something, it will be offset from the parent by this amount.
- Set this entity's angles.
- Fired when this NPC takes damage (activator is the damage inflictor)
- Fired when this NPC is killed (activator is the killer)
- Fired when this NPC reaches half of its maximum health
- Fired when this NPC hears a sound (other than combat or the player)
- Fired when this NPC hears the player
- Fired when this NPC hears combat sounds
- Fired when this NPC establishes line of sight to its enemy
- Fired when this NPC loses line of sight to its enemy
- Fired when this NPC loses its enemy. Usually due to the enemy being killed/removed, or because this NPC has selected a newer, more dangerous enemy
- Fired when this NPC establishes line of sight to its enemy, and that enemy is a player
- Fired when this NPC loses line of sight to its enemy, and that enemy is a player
- Fired when this NPC loses its enemy, and that enemy was a player. Usually due to the enemy being killed/removed, or because this NPC has selected a newer, more dangerous enemy
- Fired when this NPC is hurt by a player (activator is the attacker or vehicle driver (if friendly fire))
- Fired when this NPC is hurt by a player OR by one of the player's squadmates (activator is the attacker or vehicle driver (if friendly fire))
- Fired when this NPC has refused to join the player's squad
- Fired when this NPC enters a sleep state
- Fired when this NPC comes out of a sleep state
- Fired when the NPC starts a forced interaction.
- Fired when the NPC aborts a forced interaction for some reason (target NPC died, couldn't be pathed to, etc)
- "NPCs in actbusies can no longer perform dynamic interactions." To do: What does this mean?
- These outputs each fire in response to the firing of the like-numbered
FireUser4Input; see User Inputs and Outputs.
- This output fires when the entity is killed and removed from the game.