They are the downtrodden citizens of City 17. They will pick up weapons, fight the Combine, and join the player's squad if they see him.
Dedicated Console Variables
- ai_citizen_debug_commander <bool>
- When a citizen is selected with
ent_text, provides additional information about how the citizen processes commands from the player.
- g_ai_citizen_show_enemy <bool>
- When a citizen is selected with
ent_text[confirm], draws a line from the citizen's eyes to the eyes of its enemy during combat.
- npc_citizen_auto_player_squad <bool>
- Makes the citizens automatically join the player's squad as long as they're within a minimum distance to the player and a squad slot is available.
- npc_citizen_auto_player_squad_allow_use <bool>
- If set to 1, makes the citizens join/unjoin the player's squad when they +USE the citizen, as long as a squad slot is available.
- npc_citizen_explosive_resist <bool>
- Resistance against exposions.
- npc_citizen_insignia <bool>
chefhat.mdlon the heads of citizens in the player's squad.
- npc_citizen_squad_marker <bool>
- Adds a small marker under their feet when the citizens are in the player's squad.
- sk_citizen_giveammo_player_delay <float>
- Time between ammo assistances.
- sk_citizen_heal_ally <int>
- Amount of health to heal allies for.
- sk_citizen_heal_ally_delay <float>
- Time between medical assistances for allies.
- sk_citizen_heal_player <int>
- Amount of health to heal players for.
- sk_citizen_heal_player_delay <float>
- Time between medical assistances.
- sk_citizen_heal_player_min_forced <int>
- Players must be at least this far from their max health before medics can heal them again.
- sk_citizen_heal_player_min_pct <float>
- How much health a NPC has to have before medics will consider healing them. Target's health * this variable.
- sk_citizen_health <int>
- A citizen's spawn health.
- sk_citizen_player_stare_dist <float>
- How far medics have to be from the player to register healing requests from staring.
- sk_citizen_player_stare_time <float>
- How long a player has to stare at a medic before they give them health.
- sk_citizen_stare_heal_time <float>
- How long to wait after healing someone before medics can resume stare healing request behavior.
- Weapons (additionalequipment)
- Weapon to spawn with.
- Ammo To Resupply (ammosupply)
- If the appropriate spawnflag is set, the citizen will attempt to get close to the player and pass this type of ammunition when he/she runs low.
- Amount Of Ammo To Give (ammoamount)
- Amount of ammo the NPC has (in total) to give to the player.
- Type (citizentype)
- Changes the citizen's appearance (but not behaviour).
- Default: The hardcoded default for the given chapter. All custom maps use Downtrodden.
- Downtrodden: The normal blue civil outfit.
- Refugee: A more ragged and torn civil outfit. Some models use a beige shirt.
- Rebel: The rebel outfit.
- Unique: Only uses what is stored in the "model" keyvalue. This can be used if you want to use a different model from other citizens, like Odessa Cubbage. Warning: The
Random Headspawnflag should always be disabled when using Unique citizens.
- Expression Type (expressiontype)
- Ambient facial animation.
Literal Value Description 0 Random 1 Scared 2 Normal 3 Angry
- Model (model)
- Various model overrides. With the
Random Headspawnflag, any of these models except for Cheaple and Odessa may be chosen.
Cheaple Male 1is a low-detail model that only works if Type is Downtrodden or Unique.
Odessa. DO NOT USE.is Colonel Odessa Cubbage. Only works if Type is set to Unique.
- This field accepts arbitrary paths (e.g.
models\alyx.mdl). Use the Unique citizen type if you want to make use of this.
- Facial Expression Override (expressiontype)
- Facial expression override
- Fire Output When Nav Is Blocked? (notifynavfailblocked)
- Fires an output when the Citizen's movement fails because he/she is blocked by a dynamic object.
Permanent Squad Member? (neverleaveplayersquad)
- A permanent squad member cannot leave the player's squad unless killed or explicitly removed by entity I/O. Only use this if you're sure you want to override the default AI.
Deny Command Speech Concept (denycommandconcept)
- If you want your citizens to squad with the player but not obey commands the player gives to move the squad, put a concept here and this citizen will speak the concept instead of obeying the order.
- This NPC will always teleport to a Player Squad Transition Point if they're not within the trigger_transition.
Prevent picking up weapons?
- This NPC will NOT be allowed to pick up weapons they find on the ground.
Is this a vital ally?
- This NPC will cause the game to end if killed.
- Use Sentence
- Sentence spoken when the NPC gets used by a player
- Un-Use Sentence
- Sentence spoken NPC gets used again
- Don't Use Speech Semaphore
- Friendly NPCs are not allowed to speak if another friendly NPC is speaking. In some cases we don't want speaking NPCs to prevent other NPCs from speaking (for instance, if there is a friendly NPC speaking for a long time on a monitor). To make this NPC not prevent other NPCs from talking, make it not grab the semaphore when it speaks.
- Values for
- Squad Name
- NPCs that are in the same squad (i.e. have matching squad names) will share information about enemies, and will take turns attacking and covering each other.
- Hint Group
- Hint groups are used by NPCs to restrict their hint-node searching to a subset of the map's hint nodes. Only hint nodes with matching hint group names will be considered by this NPC.
- Hint Limit Nav
- Limits NPC to using specified hint group for navigation requests, but does not limit local navigation.
- Sleep State
- Holds the NPC in stasis until specified condition. See also 'Wake Radius' and 'Wake Squad'.
- 0: None
- 1: Waiting for threat
- 2: Waiting for PVS
- 3: Waiting for input, ignore PVS
- 4: Auto PVS
- 5: Auto PVS after PVS
- Wake Radius
- Auto-wake if player within this distance
- Wake Squad
- Wake all of the NPCs squadmates if the NPC is woken
- Ignore unseen enemies
- Prefer visible enemies, regardless of distance or relationship priority
- Physics Impact Damage Scale
- Scales damage energy when this character is hit by a physics object. With a value of 0 the NPC will take no damage from physics.
- Disable Shadows
- Prevents the entity from creating cheap render-to-texture shadows, or lightmap shadows if the entity is a
prop_static. Does not affect shadow mapping.
- Disable ShadowDepth
- Used to disable rendering into shadow depth (for projected textures) for this entity.
- Projected Texture Cache
- Used to hint projected texture system whether it is sufficient to cache shadow volume of this entity or to force render it every frame instead.
- 0 : Default
- 1 : No cache - render every frame
- 2 : Cache it - render only once
- Render Mode
- Set a non-standard rendering mode on this entity.
- Render FX / Transparency (0 - 255)
- Transparency amount, requires a Render Mode other than Normal. 0 is invisible, 255 is fully visible.
- Render Color (R G B)
- Color tint.
- Disable Receiving Shadows
- Prevent the entity from receiving shadows on itself.
- Render FX
- Preset pattern of appearance effects.
- Pitch Yaw Roll (Y Z X)
- This entity's orientation in the world. Pitch is rotation around the Y axis, yaw is the rotation around the Z axis, roll is the rotation around the X axis.
- Entity Scripts
- Space delimited list of VScript files (without file extension) that are executed after all entities have spawned. The scripts are all executed in the same script scope, later ones overwriting any identical variables and functions.
- Script think function
- Name of a function in this entity's script which will be called automatically every 100 milliseconds (ten times a second) for the duration of the script. It can be used to create timers or to simulate autonomous behavior. The return value (if present) will set the time until the next call. Note: Try to avoid expensive operations in this function, as it may cause performance problems.
- Allow Physics Gun
- If set, players cannot use Physics Gun on this entity.
- Sandbox Tool Whitelist
- If set, only given tools can be used on this entity. You need to supply the tool class names, the names of the .lua files of those tools. This also includes the context menu properties!
1] : Wait Till Seen
Prevents this NPC from seeing (or being seen) until it enters a player's viewcone.
2] : Gag (No IDLE sounds until angry)
4] : Fall to ground (unchecked means *teleport* to ground)
8] : Drop Healthkit
Causes this NPC to drop an
16] : Efficient - Don't acquire enemies or avoid obstacles
128] : Wait For Script
Forces this NPC to "wait" in an idle state until it finishes playing a
256] : Long Visibility/Shoot
By default, increases a NPC's sight range to
6,000units and allows it to attack from anywhere within that distance.
512] : Fade Corpse
1024] : Think outside PVS
Allows this NPC to run its regular AI outside of any player's PVS.
2048] : Template NPC
Marks this NPC as a template for entities like
npc_template_maker. The NPC will not spawn on its own. This is not needed for
4096] : Do Alternate collision for this NPC (player avoidance)
Note: This flag is disabled in episodic for player companions because the
StartScriptinginput does this.
8192] : Don't drop weapons
16384] : Ignore player push
Don't give way to player
65536] : Follow player on spawn
Causes the citizen to follow the player when it spawns. It won't join the player's squad until it gets close enough
131072] : Medic
Turns the citizen into a medic that can heal the player and other NPCs in its squad. Citizens with the "Rebel" citizen type adopt a medic uniform.
- Code Fix: This can be fixed in
CNPC_Citizen::ShouldHealTarget()by changing the first disposition check to check for
262144] : Random Head
Randomizes the citizen's model in between all available heads from the chosen citizen type.
524288] : Ammo Resupplier
Turns the citizen into an ammo resupplier that can replenish the player's ammo.
1048576] : Not Commandable
Prevents the citizen from joining the player's squad.
2097152] : Don't use speech semaphore
Obsolete: use the keyvalue
4194304] : Random male head
Randomizes the citizen's model in between all male heads from the chosen citizen type. Leaving the original
Random Headspawnflag enabled is optional. }}
8388608] : Random female head
Randomizes the citizen's model in between all female heads from the chosen citizen type. Leaving the original
Random Headspawnflag enabled is optional.
16777216] : Use RenderBox in ActBusies.
Note: This makes the collision hull surround the model rather than using the human hull. It's more computationally expensive, but necessary when ActBusies involve close proximity to other props/geometry or animate the citizens in a more dynamic way.
- Set facial expression override
- Patrol whenever I'm idle or alert.
- Stop patrolling when I'm idle or alert.
- Make a previously uncommandable citizen commandable
- Set the medic flag on. Will not change the model or skin of the citizen.
- Set the medic flag off. Will not change the model or skin of the citizen.
- Set the ammo-resupplier flag on. Will not change the model or skin of the citizen.
- Set the ammo-resupplier flag off. Will not change the model or skin of the citizen.
- Set readiness to calmest state (Bored)
- Set readiness to moderate (Alert)
- Set readiness to highest. (Combat imminent)
- Lock readiness at current setting for x seconds -1 = forever, 0 = unlock now
- Gives the NPC the specified weapon - excluded from FGD
- Forces the NPC to speak an idle response - excluded from FGD
- Remove from player squad, instantly.
- Set readiness to panic state (Special)
- Change this entity to attach to a specific attachment point on its parent. The entity will teleport so that the position of its root bone matches that of the attachment. Entities must be parented before being sent this input.
- As above, but without teleporting. The entity retains its position relative to the attachment at the time of the input being received.
- Removes this entity from the the movement hierarchy, leaving it free to move independently.
- Use this input to teleport the NPC to a hint node with the "Player Squad Transition Point" hint type.
- If enabled, this NPC will always teleport to a Player Squad Transition Point even if they're not within the
- Determines whether the game should end if this character dies.
- Enables/disables weapon pickup.
- Gives the NPC a weapon immediately.
- Clears every output that this NPC has.
SetRelationship <string|targetname or classname> <string|disposition> <int|rank>
- Changes whether this NPC likes or dislikes certain others. Used like the ai_relationship entity, with this NPC as the subject.
- Values for
- Set the NPC's health.
- Add to or remove from the NPC's health.
- HACK: Sets this NPC's body group (from 0 - n).
- Scales the damage taken when this character is hit by a physics object. 0 means this feature is disabled for backwards compatibility.
- Burst into flames.
- Ignite for the given number of seconds.
- Ignite with the given hitbox fire scale.
- Smash into pieces. If this is not possible, disappear.
- Remove itself and instantly become a ragdoll with zero force (just go limp). OnDeath, etc. Outputs will NOT be fired.
- Enter/exit scripting state, where NPCs ignore a variety of stimulus that would make them break out of their scripts. They ignore danger sounds, ignore +USE, don't idle speak or respond to other NPC's idle speech, and so on.
- Change the name of this NPC's squad. Leaving the parameter blank will remove the NPC from any existing squad.
- Wakes up the NPC if it is sleeping.
- Clears out the NPC's knowledge of a named entity.
- Gagged NPCs won't speak (or moan, caw, etc.) unless made to be a choreographed scene.
- Ignore danger sounds for the specified number of seconds.
- Force the NPC to holster or unholster their weapon. Ignored if the NPC is scripting or if the NPC doesn't use weapons.
- Same as
HolsterWeapon, except the weapon is destroyed once it has been concealed.
ForceInteractionWithNPC <string> <string>
- Force the NPC to use a dynamic interaction with another NPC. Syntax is
<targetname> <dynamic interaction>
- Update (or create) this NPC's memory of of the given entity.
- Sets the maximum look distance for the NPC. Defaults are 2048 and 6000 for long range NPCs.
- Sets the entity's transparency to a number from 0 (invisible) to 255 (fully visible). Requires the entity to have its Render Mode (rendermode) set to a number other than
- Sets an RGB color for the entity.
- Remove a context from this entity's list. The name should match the key of an existing context.
- Removes all contexts from this entity's list.
- Turn dynamic shadows off for this entity.
- Turn dynamic shadows on for this entity.
- This object will not receive light or shadows from projected textures.
- This object may receive light or shadows from projected textures.
- Removes this entity from the world.
- Removes this entity and its children from the world. Note: Entities already remove orphaned children upon being removed, but this input removes all children on the same frame, being marginally faster than
- Adds a keyvalue/output to this entity. It can be potentially very dangerous, use with care.
<output name> <targetname>:<inputname>:<parameter>:<delay>:<max times to fire, -1 means infinite>
- Fire the
OnUseroutputs; see User Inputs and Outputs.
- Same as a player invoking +use; may not do anything depending on the entity. Can also be invoked by firing an output that does not specify an input.
- Execute a VScript file from disk, without file extension. The script contents are merged with the script scope of the receiving entity.
- Execute a string of VScript source code in the scope of the entity receiving the input. String quotation may be needed when fired via console. Bug: In , the code is executed in the script scope of the entity that fires the output, not the one receiving the input.Warning: Never try to pass string parameters to a script function with this input. It will corrupt the VMF structure because of the nested quotation marks, which then must be removed manually with a text editor.
- Send this entity to a spot in the map. If the entity is parented to something, it will be offset from the parent by this amount.
- Fires when joins player squad
- Fires when leaves player squad (doesn't include death or deletion)
- Fires when ordered to follow player
- Fires when ordered to a location by player
- Fires when a player +USEs the citizen. (activator is the player)
- Fires when this Citizen's movement fails because he/she is blocked by a dynamic object.
- Fired when this NPC takes damage (activator is the damage inflictor)
- Fired when this NPC is killed (activator is the killer)
- Fired when this NPC reaches half of its maximum health
- Fired when this NPC hears a sound (other than combat or the player)
- Fired when this NPC hears the player
- Fired when this NPC hears combat sounds
- Fired when this NPC establishes line of sight to its enemy
- Fired when this NPC loses line of sight to its enemy
- Fired when this NPC loses its enemy. Usually due to the enemy being killed/removed, or because this NPC has selected a newer, more dangerous enemy
- Fired when this NPC establishes line of sight to its enemy, and that enemy is a player
- Fired when this NPC loses line of sight to its enemy, and that enemy is a player
- Fired when this NPC loses its enemy, and that enemy was a player. Usually due to the enemy being killed/removed, or because this NPC has selected a newer, more dangerous enemy
- Fired when this NPC is hurt by a player (activator is the attacker or vehicle driver (if friendly fire))
- Fired when this NPC is hurt by a player OR by one of the player's squadmates (activator is the attacker or vehicle driver (if friendly fire))
- Fired when this NPC has refused to join the player's squad
- Fired when this NPC enters a sleep state
- Fired when this NPC comes out of a sleep state
- Fired when the NPC starts a forced interaction.
- Fired when the NPC aborts a forced interaction for some reason (target NPC died, couldn't be pathed to, etc)
- "NPCs in actbusies can no longer perform dynamic interactions." To do: What does this mean?
- These outputs each fire in response to the firing of the like-numbered
FireUser4Input; see User Inputs and Outputs.
- This output fires when the entity is killed and removed from the game.