From Valve Developer Community
Revision as of 17:58, 14 February 2019 by RandomCatDude (→Keyvalues: added a description for 'ignore bugbait')
Seeing as antlions were frequently used as cannon fodder in Half-Life 2, especially within Nova Prospekt, this entity is used to efficiently monitor and respawn antlions on a continuous basis. It has similar functionality to a npc_maker.
- Num. of NPCs
- Number of NPCs that will spawn before this spawner is exhausted.
- How often (in seconds) a new NPC will be spawned. If set to -1, a new NPC will be made when the last NPC dies.
- Max Live NPCs
- Maximum number of live children allowed at any one time (new ones will not be made until one dies). If set to -1, no limit is applied.
- Entity Scripts
<scriptlist>(New with Left 4 Dead 2)
- Space delimited list of VScript files (without file extension) that are executed after all entities have spawned. The scripts are all executed in the same script scope, later ones overwriting any identical variables and functions.
- Script think function
<string>(New with Left 4 Dead 2)
- Name of a function in this entity's script which will be called automatically every 100 milliseconds (ten times a second) for the duration of the script. It can be used to create timers or to simulate autonomous behavior. The return value (if present) will set the time until the next call. Note:Try to avoid expensive operations in this function, as it may cause performance problems.
- Pitch Yaw Roll (Y Z X)
- This entity's orientation in the world. Pitch is rotation around the Y axis, yaw is the rotation around the Z axis, roll is the rotation around the X axis.
- Start Disabled (StartDisabled)
- Stay dormant until activated (probably with the
- Template Name
- Name of template NPC.
- Spawn on Hint Group
- If specified, children will spawn on a hint node from this group, nearest the target.
- Spawn Radius
- Target must be within this distance of any node in the hint group specified above. If the target is outside the radius, no NPC will spawn.
- Spawn Target
- Targetname of the entity to try and spawn near. Note:This field is only used if "Spawn close to target" spawnflag is set.
- Fight Target
- Targetname of an entity used as a goal for the children to fight to.
- Follow Target
- Targetname of an entity used as a goal for the children to follow.
- Vehicle Spawn Distance
- This is a modifier of the current spawn distance. Spawn distance on a vehicle is based on speed, so this is just a modifier for it.
- Pool Start
- Number of antlions in the pool at map start.
- Pool max
- Maximum number of antlions allowed in the pool. If 0, pool behavior is turned off.
- Pool Regen amount
- This is the number of antlions added to the pool every time it regenerates.
- Pool Regen time
- Time interval between pool regeneration ticks.
- Create spores
- Create Spore effect.
- 16 : Fade Corpse
- 32 : Infinite Children
- 64 : Do Not Drop
- 128 : Don't Spawn While Visible
- 1024: Don't use dynamic difficulty (Only in Sin Episodes)
- 1024 : Random spawn node
- 2048 : Try to spawn close to the current target
- 4096 : Pick a random fight target
- 8192 : Try to play blocked effects near the player
- Spawns an NPC.
- Toggles the spawner enabled/disabled state.
- Enables the spawner.
- Disables the spawner.
- Adds to the number of NPCs that can spawn before the spawner is exhausted. If an exhausted spawner is given some children to spawn, it still wont begin spawning until it is re-enabled with the
- Sets the number of NPCs that can spawn before the spawner is exhausted. If an exhausted spawner is given some children to spawn, it still won't begin spawning until it is re-enabled with the
- Sets the maximum number of NPCs that can be alive at any one time from this spawner.
- Sets how often (in seconds) a new NPC will be spawned.
- Removes this entity and any entities parented to it from the world.
- Functions the same as
Kill, although this entity and any entities parented to it are killed on the same frame, being marginally faster than
- Evaluates a keyvalue/output on this entity. It can be potentially very dangerous, use with care.
<output name> <targetname>:<inputname>:<parameter>:<delay>:<max times to fire, -1 means infinite>
- Fire the
OnUseroutputs; see User Inputs and Outputs.
- Same as a player invoking +use; may not do anything. Can also be invoked by creating an output that does not specify an input.
This input is not included in Valve's FGDs.
<script>(New with Left 4 Dead 2)
- Execute a VScript file from disk, without file extension. The script contents are merged with the script scope of the receiving entity.
<string>(New with Left 4 Dead 2)
- Execute a string of VScript source code in the scope of the entity receiving the input. String quotation may be needed when fired via console. Bug: In , the code is executed in the script scope of the entity that fires the output, not the one receiving the input.Warning: Never try to pass string parameters to a script function with this input. It will corrupt the VMF structure because of the nested quotation marks, which then must be removed manually with a text editor.
<string>(New with Left 4 Dead 2) !FGD
- Execute a VScript function in the scope of the receiving entity.
<coordinates>(New with Alien Swarm) !FGD
- Send this entity to a spot in the map. If the entity is parented to something, it will be offset from the parent by this amount.
<angles>(New with Alien Swarm) !FGD
- Set this entity's angles.
- Enable/disable this entity from performing its task. It might also disappear from view.
- Sets the target entity for children to fight to.
- Clears the fight target goal for this spawner.
- Sets the target entity for children to follow.
- Clears the follow target goal for this spawner.
- To do: add description
- Add the number of antlions specified in the parameter to the pool.
- Set the maximum number of antlions allowed in the pool at any time. Setting it to 0 turns off the pool behavior.
- Set the number of antlions added to the pool every time it regenerates.
- Set the time interval between pool regeneration ticks.
- Change the spawn group for this spawner.
- Fired when an NPC is spawned. The activator is the NPC, and the string is the name of the NPC.
- Fired when the spawned is exhausted (all children have been spawned).
- Fired when the spawner is exhausted (all children have been spawned) and all spawned children have died.
- Fired when all spawned children have died. This does not mean the spawned is exhausted, so a new child may be spawned any time after this (unless the maker is disabled).
- These Outputs each fire in response to the firing of the like-numbered
FireUser4Input; see User Inputs and Outputs.
OnKilled(Only in the Left 4 Dead series)
- This Output fires when the entity is killed and removed from the game.
- Fires when all the hint nodes are blocked.