Mod wizard complete
You have successfully completed the mod wizard! The folder you chose to install to now has several sub-folders beneath it:
- For your uncompiled VMF map files.
- For your uncompiled materials.
- For your uncompiled models.
- All of the C++ game source code for Half-Life 2: Episode Two or Half-Life 2: Deathmatch*, or just the "scratch" code, depending on which option you chose in the mod wizard.
- All of the source code for most of the Source SDK's content creation tools.
Additionally, a folder with your mod's name has been created in
<Steam install path>\steamapps\sourcemods\. This is where data compiled from the folders above will be loaded from, and the only folder people playing your mod will need.
* Valve ships a very outdated version of HL2DM on Steam, but its SDK code is up to date.
There are many areas in modding. For a complete overview, visit the main SDK Docs page. Here are some highlights for beginners:
- General advice
- From Valve
- From other modders
- Choosing a compiler
- My First Mod (if you chose the Episode Two or Deathmatch source code)
- Your First Entity
- Your First Map
- Hammer documentation
- Modeling & Animation
- XSI Mod Tool
- Exporting a model
- Model Creation Overview
- Art & Sound
- Material Creation
- Choreography creation
Help is available from:
- The Source SDK FAQ
- The Steam User Forums
- The Help Desk
- The hlcoders mailing list (for programmers)
- The discussion page for each article - like this one's