- See Category:Maya for tutorials.
Maya is a popular 3D modeling/animation/rendering suite from Autodesk (formerly from Alias). It is a powerful tool for modeling, texturing and animating props and characters. It also contains many advanced features which are not applicable to Source modding (dynamics, rendering, etc.). While Valve favors XSI for modeling and animating, some users may prefer Maya's rich feature set.
- .smd Exporter by Prall
Steam\SteamApps\username\sourcesdk\mayaValve's .smd and .dmx scripts supplied in the Source SDK
Installing Valve's Maya Plug-ins
1. Select the version of Maya you have installed on your machine.
2. Edit the sourcesdk\maya\runmaya.bat
IF EXIST "%ProgramFiles(x86)%" GOTO x86 SET PATH=%ProgramFiles%\Autodesk\Maya%MAYAVER%\bin;%VPROJECT%\..\bin;%PATH% GOTO END :x86 SET PATH=%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Autodesk\Maya%MAYAVER%\bin;%VPROJECT%\..\bin;%PATH%
Replace with this only If running a 64bit OS
SET PATH=C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\Maya2012\bin;%VPROJECT%\..\bin;%PATH%
Replace with this only If running a 32bit OS
SET PATH=C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2012\bin;%VPROJECT%\..\bin;%PATH%
3. Run \sourcesdk\maya\2012\runmaya.bat
4. When Maya is loaded, go to Window>Settings/Preferences>Plug-in Manager...
Look for vsmaster.mll and check the "loaded" and "auto load" boxes.
When you go to export you should see the new choices:
Valve DMX File
Valve SMD Model
Valve SMD Animated Model
Valve SMD Physics Model
Valve SMD Animation
Notes on using Autodesk Maya 2011
L4D2 Notes on runmaya.bat
If you load the L4D2 SDK and set your configurations with vconfig.exe, this batch file will not function. You will need to edit it as described here: Steam Forum Post
- Autodesk Maya Official site.
- Autodesk Education Community Official education resources for students.
- Tutorial Maya 2011 to Source
- Introduction to the Maya 8 User Interface Noesis Interactive video tutorial.
- Introduction to Custom Props for Source Powered Games with Maya Noesis Interactive video tutorial.
- Stieffers' Maya to Source: A Model Exportation Guide
- Creating a Keyboard Physics Prop with Maya - Goes through entire workflow--covers modeling, UV Mapping, texturing, and exporting.
- Palmer's Maya Prop Exporting Tutorial
- Maya to Source Engine with MESA