Common traditional naming conventions for maps for some Half-Life and Source games use a small prefix (often two or three letters) followed by an underscore at the beginning of the map name. Ex. "de_dust", where "de_" is the prefix and "dust" is the map name.
Official prefixes are as follows:
- 1 Official Games
- 2 Third-Party Mods
- 3 Other prefixes
- as -> Assassination (Counter-Strike and VIP Mod only)
- cs -> Hostage rescue
- de -> Bomb defusal
Condition Zero uses enhanced versions of the original Counter-Strike maps denoted with a _cz suffix.
- hdn -> Hidden
- ovr -> Overrun
- co -> Combat
- ns -> Natural Selection (Original)
- ctf -> Capture The Flag
- dom -> Domination
In addition, some custom maps will be marked with unofficial prefixes, either to denote its nature or to brand it.
- killbox -> Killbox - DM - A map consisting of at least one box-shaped arena
- surf -> Surf Map - CS/CS:S/CZ - A map where players surf
- aim -> Aim Arena - CS/CS:S/CZ - Teams are restricted to one class of weapon and have no objectives except to kill the other team. Emphasis is placed on a player's aim.
- awp -> AWP arena - CS/CS:S/CZ - AWPs only
- fy -> Fun Yard - CS/CS:S/CZ - Arena map with an assortment of weapons on the ground
- he -> HE Grenade arena - CS/CS:S/CZ - HE grenades only
- ka -> Knife Arena - CS/CS:S/CZ - Knives only