Difference between revisions of "Light dynamic"
(Added some related console commands)
|Line 46:||Line 46:|
== See also ==
== See also ==
Revision as of 13:35, 12 December 2020
light_dynamic is a point entity available in all Source games. It is an invisible light source that changes over time. Can be turned on and off through inputs, and can aim at any object, including moving ones. Dynamic lights are calculated on the fly in the game, which means they have a higher processing cost but are much more flexible than static lighting. It is also the only entity except env_projectedtexture that can light up brushes at real-time (But it doesn't replace their original lighting).
- Entity to point at (target)
- The name of an entity in the map that the dynamic light will point at.
- Light color (_light)
- The RGB render color of the spotlight. Colors must be between 0 and 255.
- Light brightness (brightness)
- The intensity of the spotlight.
- Inner (bright) angle (_inner_cone)
- The angles of the inner spotlight beam. 0 makes it omnidirectional.
- Outer (fading) angle (_cone)
- The angles of the outer spotlight beam. 0 makes it omnidirectional.
- Pitch (pitch)
- Used instead of Pitch Yaw Roll's value for reasons unknown.
- Maximum distance (distance)
- This is the distance that light is allowed to cast, in inches.
- Spotlight end radius (spotlight_radius)
- This is the radius of the light, in inches, at the object that it is hitting.
- Appearance (style)
- Various Custom Appearance (see below) presets.
- Entity Scripts
- Space delimited list of VScript files (without file extension) that are executed after all entities have spawned. The scripts are all executed in the same script scope, later ones overwriting any identical variables and functions.
- Script think function
- Name of a function in this entity's script which will be called automatically every 100 milliseconds (ten times a second) for the duration of the script. It can be used to create timers or to simulate autonomous behavior. The return value (if present) will set the time until the next call. Note: Try to avoid expensive operations in this function, as it may cause performance problems.
- Pitch Yaw Roll (Y Z X)
- This entity's orientation in the world. Pitch is rotation around the Y axis, yaw is the rotation around the Z axis, roll is the rotation around the X axis.
Light Appearances Literal Value Description Sequence Preview 0 Normal
10 Fluorescent flicker
2 Slow, strong pulse
11 Slow pulse, noblack
5 Gentle pulse
1 Flicker A
6 Flicker B
3 Candle A
7 Candle B
8 Candle C
4 Fast strobe
9 Slow strobe
12 !FGD Underwater light mutation
- 1 : Do not light world (better perf)
- 2 : Do not light models
- 4 : Add Displacement Alpha
- 8 : Subtract Displacement Alpha
- Set the light's render color (R G B).
- Set the light brightness.
- Set the maximum light distance.
- Set the inner (bright) angle.
- Set the outer (fading) angle.
- Set the radius of the spotlight at the end point.
- Change the lightstyle (see Appearance field for possible values).
- Turn the light off.
- Turn the light on.
- Toggle the light on/off.
- Removes this entity from the world.
- Removes this entity and its children from the world. Note: Entities already remove orphaned children upon being removed, but this input removes all children on the same frame, being marginally faster than
- Adds a keyvalue/output to this entity. It can be potentially very dangerous, use with care.
<output name> <targetname>:<inputname>:<parameter>:<delay>:<max times to fire, -1 means infinite>
- Fire the
OnUseroutputs; see User Inputs and Outputs.
- Same as a player invoking +use; may not do anything depending on the entity. Can also be invoked by firing an output that does not specify an input.
- Execute a VScript file from disk, without file extension. The script contents are merged with the script scope of the receiving entity.
- Execute a string of VScript source code in the scope of the entity receiving the input. String quotation may be needed when fired via console. Bug: In , the code is executed in the script scope of the entity that fires the output, not the one receiving the input.Warning: Never try to pass string parameters to a script function with this input. It will corrupt the VMF structure because of the nested quotation marks, which then must be removed manually with a text editor.
- Send this entity to a spot in the map. If the entity is parented to something, it will be offset from the parent by this amount.
- Change this entity to attach to a specific attachment point on its parent. The entity will teleport so that the position of its root bone matches that of the attachment. Entities must be parented before being sent this input.
- As above, but without teleporting. The entity retains its position relative to the attachment at the time of the input being received.
- Removes this entity from the the movement hierarchy, leaving it free to move independently.
- Disables certain dynamic effects. To do: Research what this exactly does.
- Enables or disables dynamic lighting.
- Sets the maximum amount of dynamic lights.