The director is almost entirely automated and only exists at design-time for the few situations in which other designer-placed entities need to communicate with it, such as for forcing survivors to their respective info_suvivor_position at the start of a campaign for camera intro sequences.
- Using the changelevel console command to restart the map will cause the director to ignore the
- If you are restarting the map after a fresh compile using changelevel and you need to test out your intro sequence, use the kill console command afterwards to have the mission fail, this will cause the map to restart in a way that allows the info_director to use forcesurvivorpositions input, which will also allow your cameras to function.
- logic_auto cannot trigger
forcesurvivorpositionsunless the map was freshly loaded from the game menu as a campaign, or is restarting after mission failure.
- To get around this, have the director call forcesurvivorpositions and releasesurvivorpositions on itself using the
ongamestartinput. When your campaign is ready for release, you can safely change it back to using a logic_auto before final compilation if you wish, since players will be loading your campaign from the game menu.
- Entity Scripts (vscripts)
<scriptlist>(New with Left 4 Dead 2)
- Space delimited list of VScript files (without file extension) that are executed after all entities have spawned. The scripts are all executed in the same script scope, later ones overwriting any identical variables and functions.
- Script think function (thinkfunction)
<string>(New with Left 4 Dead 2)
- Name of a function in this entity's script which will be called automatically every 100 milliseconds (ten times a second) for the duration of the script. It can be used to create timers or to simulate autonomous behavior. The return value (if present) will set the time until the next call. Note:Try to avoid expensive operations in this function, as it may cause performance problems.
- Origin (X Y Z) (origin)
- The position of this entity's center in the world. Rotating entities typically rotate around their origin.
- Players are immune to damage while this is active. No mobs or SI will spawn.
- Players will now take damage. Mobs and SI can spawn given that the player is no longer standing in a nav square marked as PLAYER_START and/or CHECKPOINT.
- Teleport / release the survivors from their starting positions and enable / disable movement.
- Force a panic event.
- To do
- Allows survivor dialogue to be triggered by map entities (e.g. No Mercy's elevator with parameter hospital04_path4)
- Removes this entity and any entities parented to it from the world.
- Functions the same as
Kill, although this entity and any entities parented to it are killed on the same frame, being marginally faster than
- Evaluates a keyvalue/output on this entity. It can be potentially very dangerous, use with care.
<output name> <targetname>:<inputname>:<parameter>:<delay>:<max times to fire, -1 means infinite>
- Fire the
OnUseroutputs; see User Inputs and Outputs.
- Same as a player invoking +use; may not do anything. Can also be invoked by creating an output that does not specify an input.
This input is not included in Valve's FGDs.
<script>(New with Left 4 Dead 2)
- Execute a VScript file from disk, without file extension. The script contents are merged with the script scope of the receiving entity.
<string>(New with Left 4 Dead 2)
- Execute a string of VScript source code in the scope of the entity receiving the input. String quotation may be needed when fired via console. Bug: In , the code is executed in the script scope of the entity that fires the output, not the one receiving the input.Warning: Never try to pass string parameters to a script function with this input. It will corrupt the VMF structure because of the nested quotation marks, which then must be removed manually with a text editor.
<string>(New with Left 4 Dead 2) !FGD
- Execute a VScript function in the scope of the receiving entity.
<coordinates>(New with Alien Swarm) !FGD
- Send this entity to a spot in the map. If the entity is parented to something, it will be offset from the parent by this amount.
<angles>(New with Alien Swarm) !FGD
- Set this entity's angles.
- Fired when a map loads, all players join and gameplay begins.
- Fired when a panic event is finished.
- These Outputs each fire in response to the firing of the like-numbered
FireUser4Input; see User Inputs and Outputs.
OnKilled(Only in the Left 4 Dead series)
- This Output fires when the entity is killed and removed from the game.