Got a question that is not answered in the Source SDK FAQ? Ask it here! Any sort of SDK question should be posted here. After they get answered, move them to the "Answered" portion of the page.
- 1 Suggestions before asking a question
- 2 Pending Questions
- 2.1 Wacked animations
- 2.2 helicopter question
- 2.3 Things fall through displacements
- 2.4 Steam.dll not missing
- 2.5 Get error message on hammer.exe
- 2.6 Scripted Spawned NPCs
- 2.7 Creating A Helicopter Fight
- 2.8 Reading a console variable from an entity
- 2.9 External conditions
- 2.10 Animation/rig problem
- 2.11 "Only one instance of the game can be running at one time."
- 2.12 Current Game Selection Problem
- 2.13 Hammer Problem
- 2.14 Compiling Problems
- 2.15 Compile problems de_fastdust
- 2.16 HDR settings
- 2.17 Debug crashes
- 2.18 Problem With Physic .smd
- 2.19 Weird Hammer Problem
- 2.20 Falling Ashs
- 2.21 Map executing won't work!
- 2.22 Making Player Models for Counterstrike Source
- 2.23 hammer not loading
- 2.24 Missing pupil texture
- 2.25 I have compiling troubles
- 2.26 Npc_citizens don't talk
- 2.27 map compiling problem
- 3 Answered Questions
Suggestions before asking a question
Check to see if your question has been asked before:
- Look in the Source SDK FAQ for general SDK questions.
- Read the Level Design FAQ for level design related questions.
- Check Answered Questions at the bottom of this page.
- Search the official VERC Forums for an answer to your question.
Asking a question
- Be specific and clear as possible.
- Please sign your question (end it with
~~~~). This will help us direct follow-ups to you directly.
- Check back for answers. We will not put answers in your talk page unless it is specific to you.
- Use common sense. Hopefully, this won't require much more explanation.
- Edit questions for follow-ups. Do not post a new question.
- Use second-level headlines. Surround your question title with three equal signs (===) so they create a table of contents, split between pending and answered questions.
- Only move your own question. An answer may not fully answer a question. When the question is fully answered, then move it to Answered Questions.
- Where did my question go? Questions which have not had any activity for 2 months are moved to Dormant Help Desk Questions.
- Ask your question at the official VERC Forums.
- French boards: HalfLife Design, Game Lab, Mapping-Area
- SDK Nuts Forums and its Shoutbox
- To do: Other useful forums here, e.g. modeling forums, etc.
For some reason my animations are all lagged out (on default weapons in a ep1: sp mod code base), this has happened between compiles, and I changed no code. - Links to videos - NORMAL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiNQ4US4w4o WACKED http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh6Z9MqZ3JA --Amckern 16:13, 2 Nov 2006 (PST)
ok i have a helicopter on a path. yet it seems to want to follow the character on that path. how do i get the helicopter to ignore the character and follow the path and then disappear when it reaches the end? Twiggyzippo 17:59, 1 Nov 2006 (PST)twiggyzippo
- Check the cheap flag in the propertys of the entity - it wont look for targets, but then it will also not look for objects in its path, and avoid them. --Amckern 15:35, 2 Nov 2006 (PST)
- ok i checked the box that says efficient - dont acquire enemies or avoid obstacles, yet it still follows me and shoots me. and how would i get it so that when it reaches the end of the path it disappears?Twiggyzippo 18:18, 2 Nov 2006 (PST)Twiggyzippo
Things fall through displacements
Most objects that are non-living fall through my displacement surfaces. I have set all displacements to have collisions, but it still happens. What do I have to do to fix this? --Hambone 14:51, 23 Oct 2006 (PDT)
- This only seems to happen in HL2. If you make a basic mod, it won't happen. What seems to be happening is that regardless of your settings the displacement maps think that "Don't Collide with VPhys" is set. Hull and Ray simulated objects are colliding normally. --Kateye 15:21, 23 Oct 2006 (PDT)
- This is an issue if your still running in appid 220 or w/e. I corrected the problem with my mods by moving over to appid 215. --Spektre1 20:08, 23 Oct 2006 (PDT)
odd hmmm i seem to experiance this when i play Gmod but no where else.--Gear 19:20, 29 Oct 2006 (PST)
- I saw somewhere that this can be fixed by adding -novirtualmesh to the BSP compile line.--Mathewnor 03:54, 1 Nov 2006 (PST)
Steam.dll not missing
When I try to start the Vconfig.exe, I get the Can't find steam.dll error. This page tells me that I must have moved or deleted the file, so I check where it is supposed to be located, and Steam.dll is still there. ...so why can't Vconfig find it? (I tried restarting Steam, update my SDK and run HL2 once.) --Andreasen 21:42, 21 Oct 2006 (PDT)
- Hey Andreasen. I ahev also gooten this problem but usaaly i just resatrt my computer and it goes away i really hardly get it. For some reason its caused when Steam starts up. Why? I have no idae but it shouldnt keep happening and if it does then there might be a corrupt dll file.--Gear 01:12, 22 Oct 2006 (PDT)
- It doesn't happen when Steam starts up for me, and the error doesn't go away when I restart my computer, so there is probably another reason for my error. Sure, the dll file might be corrupt, but as additional V tools seem ridden with bugs/problems in general, I'm betting there's a better way to fix this than to reinstall Steam. --Andreasen 21:08, 22 Oct 2006 (PDT)
hmm i have no idea there buddy im vry sry but thats what works for me.--Gear 22:54, 22 Oct 2006 (PDT)
Get error message on hammer.exe
I get this error message sometimes when i start up hammer or usually when i browse props.
"hammer.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
And the Error Signature is "AppName: hammer.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: datacache.dll ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 0000b413" "
Ive tried to reset game config, and refresh sdk content, even uninstalled and reinstalled source sdk, but it still gives the same error message. Help anyone? (Oct 26th 2006)
- update to the lattest patch tuesday and check your drivers. You may also need to fall back to an older direct x mode in hammer - try this shortcut
C:\Steam\steam.exe -applaunch 211 -runhammer -dxlevel 81
Scripted Spawned NPCs
I have a npc_maker which spawns several npcs and i would like the npcs spawned to walk to a destination. I've tried whith a scripted sequence but it works only for one npc and not for the next spawned npcs. How shall I do that? Thanks--coco2053 17:42, 17 Oct 2006 (PDT)
I had the same problem too one time. you need about 4 entitys in order to do this (npc_combine s) also (npc_maker),and (assualt_rally_point) these entitys allow you too make a for instance accuattly let me say this in steps: First you have the (npc_maker) to spawn a combine. The (Npc_maker) should have the setting "Name Of Template NPC" checked to the combine; also to note you can use other npc's as well; after that through the settings of the (npc_maker) you can choose the number of npc's to spawn and if you eant you can flag the "infinite children" flag in the Flags menu. After that you have to use an (ai_goal_aasault) with (assault _rallypoint) to create a path for the npc to move along. You can also change how long a npc will stay at a certain point. There is also an example VMF. in your SDK_content folder.--Gear 20:18, 17 Oct 2006 (PDT)
- There are some already set up assault prefabs in your SDK that seems like what you're looking for. They are thoroughly described in this wiki. --Andreasen 07:24, 18 Oct 2006 (PDT)
Thank you for tour help, but I would like to do exactly the same thing than the prefab "npc_citizen_fleeing" but each time a citizen is spawn, he would do the same thing than the previous (go to the target). I've tried so many things that doesn't work, I feel desperate :-( --coco2053 20:18, 17 Oct 2006 (PDT)
- I don't get what the problem is. Are they supposed to go to the target or not? The solution looks simple: Just create the npc_citizen_fleeing prefab, but increase the maximum number allowed to spawn by the npc_template_maker to more than just 1. That should get them to run to the same destination. If you want them to go to different destinations, things will get a bit more complicated unless you just set up several npc_citizen_fleeing prefabs. --Andreasen 15:49, 19 Oct 2006 (PDT)
When you use npc_citizen_fleeing, the first npc spawned will go to the target but the next spawned npc will stay inert. I would like every npc spawned to go to the target. --coco2053 20:18, 17 Oct 2006 (PDT)
- That's funny: Looks like I'm partially personally responsible for your problem: I should have explained the Search Cyclically flag after I got it explained to me. Anyway, after setting the Num. of NPCs field of the npc_template_maker to something like
5, to make multiple citizens spawn, you will need to make the aiscripted_schedule repeat, and also make sure that it affects the newly spawned citizens. Simply check the Repeatable and the Search Cyclically flag, and it will work. --Andreasen 06:37, 20 Oct 2006 (PDT)
Thank you so much Andreasen, your are the best ;-) --coco2053 18:07, 20 Oct 2006 (PDT)
Creating A Helicopter Fight
So far i know how to get a (npc_helicopter) to move using a path track entity but im still trying to figure out how to allow a helicopter move freely about on its own durring a battle. A good reference of what im trying to do is much like the Half Life 2 EP 2 Gameplay Videos. Video 3 and 4 is a good example. Is this entirly scripted or does the helicopter move freely? Also i know though that triggers are layed around the area to have the Helicopter aim at certain targets and then shoot them or blow them up. Is there a way i can allow the Helicopter to move freely and what entity's do i require also if anybody knows any links to tutorials that concept this put them here. Thanks--Gear 22:19, 16 Oct 2006 (PDT)
- hmm, well you know how you use nodes for the ground npc's. Try using air nodes for the flying npc's, like your helicopter.
For the helicopter shooting at stuff try using "info_target" i believe thats the right name. Hope that helps you. Maybe some one will go in more detail. Cubedude 14:18, 19 Oct 2006 (PDT)
Thanks ive made a sample map just to fool around with these options but i think it all depends on the triggers and the way you place the path track entity but im still not 100% sure yet--Gear 14:21, 19 Oct 2006 (PDT)
Reading a console variable from an entity
Is there any entity that can get the value of a variable? I can set a value (using IncrementVar via a point_clientcommand entity), but is there any way to read a value back in? - RodeoClown 16:05, 16 Oct 2006 (PDT)
I would like a npc to be be spawned when the player press a key on his keyboard. How shall i do that? Thanks. coco2053 12:57, 15 Oct 2006 (PDT)
- Without touching the source code? Hmm. As there doesn't seem to be any console command for spawning a specific NPC directly, I'm thinking there might be a console command for sending a specific output to a specific spawning entity, that could then spawn the NPC at a specific location. You could bind this to a button through the bind command, either by editing the file containing the binds, or by typing
bind <key-to-be-pressed> <output-sending-command>into the console. I'm sorry that I lack the time to go into more depth. --Andreasen 06:22, 16 Oct 2006 (PDT)
npc_create. How could you not know that, Andreasen? It's the first command most people go for! ;-) --TomEdwards 11:36, 16 Oct 2006 (PDT)
- Well I was pressed for time, and had not gotten much sleep, so I simply searched through the huge command list in this wiki for "spawn", with no relevant hits. "Create" didn't occur to me, and I've never actually used that command ever. --Andreasen 07:19, 18 Oct 2006 (PDT)
Thanx all. Finally I found out --coco2053 17:41, 17 Oct 2006 (PDT)
The rig for my weapon model is moving out of the model after I compile it. Screenshot -  Im not sure if its something to do with the reference smd or something else. Ive done many many custom models before (rigged and not) and this is the first time this has happened. Please help. Thanks. Cubedude 17:41, 13 Oct 2006 (PDT)
- well to me it apears that you didn't delete the transform data before you rigged your model, however this could be any number of problems. the question becomes does it animate correctly and can it be used in game how its suposed to. It might just be a rendering glitch. its happened to me on several occasions. try checking to see if it loads rite in game and write back.
- --Ryoku 15:28, 2 Nov 2006 (PST)
- Woo finally some help THANKS DUDE!
Yes, my problem is that the animations mess up because of the bones being moved out like that. If you want I can put up a video of the crazy animation problem it causes. Thanks for helping. Cubedude 14:25, 7 Nov 2006 (PST)
"Only one instance of the game can be running at one time."
I got this message today, and it won't go away. It displays in a dialog box every time the compiler tries to run my map. I've tried restarting Steam, but no luck. This is probably my first compile since I created a new mod, so I switched back to regular HL2, and my map still won't run. --Andreasen 22:39, 12 Oct 2006 (PDT)
- This dialog box also pops up every time I try to run any Source game (HL2, HL2:DM, CS:S, HL2:LC) through the Steam menu. (Other games, like HL1, works fine.) --Andreasen 22:46, 12 Oct 2006 (PDT)
- I restarted my computer and the problem disappeared. I still don't understand the cause of this message, because the only other Steam process I started was that new SDK Base I had gotten in my list, which didn't start. --Andreasen 00:23, 13 Oct 2006 (PDT)
Hmm this is quite odd indeed? that problem should only occur when HL2 is already running ad the compiller trys to load up HL2 or any other game for that fact so thats a bit odd but hey im glad it went away is it gone for sure though now?--Gear 17:34, 13 Oct 2006 (PDT)
Current Game Selection Problem
I am just getting started in this map making but I wanted to make maps for Counter strike source. I went to the current game listing to select Counter strike source from the option but it wont let me. I can select HL2, HL2 death match, and DoD source. So I loaded up the Hammer with HL2 as my selection and some of the Entities were missing. So I did some looking and found the manual configuration way for the game selection, I took a look at the Counter strike source entry and all the files were right that I could see. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the sdk as well and still could not make the selection for Counter strike source. Is there something else I am missing here or someing else I can try? --Darkmaxim 17:10, 20 Sep 2006 (PDT)
- Hmmmm do you have counter Strike insatlled corectly? That could most deffinitly be the problem as well as reinstalling the game might help. Source SDK fixes ll that for you so there should be no problem its a bit odd you had that error but it works for me. I get Counter Strike Source in the game configeration list try that and see if it helps.--Gear 00:38, 29 Sep 2006 (PDT)
Since i've come back from holidays the hammer crashes when i try to open my maps. I've worked on these maps in july but now when i try to open them the hammer stops and don't allow me to work on them. The rest i can work in new maps more simple and light. Can this be because of the updates? Maveryck21 03:14, 14 Sep 2006 (PDT)
- try and refresh sdk content - if that wont work backup, and remove the bin folder, and then run refresh sdk again.
when i try to compile the map ive been working on it gives me this:
Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Aug 4 2006) 1 threads materialPath: c:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\tv_box\counter-strike source\cstrike\materials Loading C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\tv_box\counter-strike source\cstrike\maps\Fy_forest.vmf Error: displacement found on a(n) func_buyzone entity - not supported
Ive tried deleting the buy_zones and remaking them but i cant figure it out? Help! - Tvbox 19:30, 16 Sep 2006 (PDT)
- Read the compile log. It says "displacement found on func_buyzone entity - not supported", as I have highlighted. You cannot use displacements with func_buyzones. Remake your func_buyzones so that they do not involve displacements. --Giles 06:18, 20 Sep 2006 (PDT)
Compile problems de_fastdust
Hi i have a error by compile, i have decompiled de_fastdust and three changes make but it dont compile it the orginal file has this prob likewise. Please Help me
Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Aug 4 2006) 1 threads materialPath: q:\programme\valve\steam\steamapps\mader6000\counter-strike source\cstrike\materials Loading q:\programme\valve\steam\steamapps\mader6000\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc\de_fastdust1.vmf Brush 836, Side 1: duplicate plane Brush 836, Side 2: duplicate plane Brush 836, Side 3: duplicate plane Brush 836: bounds out of range Brush 836: bounds out of range Brush 837, Side 1: duplicate plane Brush 837, Side 2: duplicate plane Brush 837, Side 3: duplicate plane Brush 837: bounds out of range Brush 837: bounds out of range Brush 838, Side 3: duplicate plane Brush 838: bounds out of range Brush 839, Side 3: duplicate plane Brush 839: bounds out of range Brush 840, Side 3: duplicate plane Brush 840: bounds out of range Brush 841, Side 3: duplicate plane Brush 841: bounds out of range fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides... ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (1) ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0) Processing areas...done (0) Building Faces...done (0) FixTjuncs... PruneNodes... WriteBSP... HashVec: point outside valid range
what kann i make ?? --Mader6000
- Map decompiling tools are not perfect. They are intended to allow you to look at a map and learn from it. They are not intended to allow you to take someone else's map and make changes. If you want to make changes to a map, you should contact the map's author and ask for the original VMF file.
- Ethics lesson over. I have highlighted the errors in your compile log. Because map decompiling tools are not perfect, they create some errors in the form of bad brushes in the VMF. You can see that VBSP has listed which brushes these are. If you want to compile the map, you will need to fix these bad brushes. To do this, choose
Map->Check for Problemsin the menu and go through that dialog. This should fix the map and allow it to compile. Be careful that you may need to replace the broken brushes by hand or you will introduce leaks to the map. --Giles 06:36, 20 Sep 2006 (PDT)
City 17 will be in HDR but my real qustion was should i compile in expert mode with the the fast setting and should default compile take around 30 min. My compile is slow is that a problem and also should HDR take long to compile?---MrTwoVideoCards 2:35 Sep 17,2006 (PDT)
- Don't know about HDR, but yes, a default compile of a larger map will normally take several hours. You should consider using the cordon tool to only compile parts of the map, to limit the amount of compile time required. However, tesselating textures (setting the texture sixe of a surface to 0.10 x 0.10 and having it repeat over a large area - especially if it's a light emitting texture (like white textures) where every drawing of the texture provides another light source) can contribute a great deal to the compile time. --Andreasen 19:26, 17 Sep 2006 (PDT)
Yeah i wasnt sure about that thankyou i thought i was doing something wrong.---MrTwoVideoCards 9:45 sep 20,2006 (PDT)
Trying to follow the guide here, but running into some issues. I get a bunch of the "entry point not found" errors using the "old" paths and then the game will finally launch. However, if I use the "new" paths mentioned (C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\geekguy\sourcesdk\hl2.exe) I get a "can't find background image 'materials/console/background01.vtf' error then a crash which looks like a pointer moved off to NULL. Googling the error only brings up threads about people trying to pirate the game. Do I need to set debug options for the "hl" project too? Can someone explain to me the two projects (client and hl) and what they are? Any solutions to the crash? Thanks in advance. Crypticgeek 21:05, 16 Sep 2006 (PDT)
- Hi, you will need to make a new .vmt and .vtf with modname_background01 as the files name. You can either extract the orignal background textures from the GCF, and rename them, or make your own with vtf edit. --Amckern 18:11, 28 Sep 2006 (PDT)
Problem With Physic .smd
I have created a keycard model and have done a few models before and they worked without any problems but now when I'm compiling my keycard model with studiomdl.exe this shows up:
WARNING: Bad collision model, check your smoothing groups!!!
WARNING: Truncating model!!!!
WARNING: hona_junk_keycard001a_phys.smd has bad smoothing groups
I can use the model but studiomdl.exe have created it's own physic model which isn't working well.
Here's something strange, when I make the physic model bigger it compiles correct but now I have a physic model which is 5 times bigger than the reference model.
I can assure you that I have done everything correct, I have even tried to remake the model but the problem still exists. I also tried to create a cube with textures and all and it worked perfect.
I'm using 3DS Max 8 with Cannonfodder's MAX6/7 SMD Exporter Version 2.03.
--Hona 15:30, 7 Sep 2006 (PDT)
- Try making all the edges of the physics model soft. (NO hard edges) I hope that works. Cubedude 16:32, 13 Oct 2006 (PDT)
Weird Hammer Problem
I have downloaded and installed SDK about 10 times and still get the same problem, I run hammer through sdk or through a shortcut fix that some other article suggested and nothing happens, the process hammer.exe is running in taskmanager but nothing comes up, no error no nothing, any suggestions? I tried the refresh sdk content I tried starting the games and closing and trying it again and I tried reseting game info, also its not a firewall or anything liek that because I tried with it off. Also my system is athlon 64 3400+ with 2 gigs ddr 400 ram x800 pro and win xp pro. funny thing related to this i guess is that I get the same problem with HL2, not with any of the mods like css or dods. Also, face poser and model viewer work fine. -- Written by Blazercist.
- Hmm i used to have that problem with half life 2 as well. I would click the icon but nothing would happen. The best thing you could try to do is reistall steam. If you want to grab all of your save files and other things and copie that to a folder.Thees never been an exact fix fortha but reinstalling steam worked for me. The only thing you will have to do is but all the MOD folders in the proper directory. ---MrTwoVideoCards 2:05, Sep 7 2006
- You can add a signature to your question to know who we are helping, by clicking on the second button from the right. It will write "--~~~~", that will translate into your username and the time and date stamp. --Andreasen 14:15, 7 Sep 2006 (PDT)
- I don't know if this will help, but I had a similar problem: I opened Hammer, and it wouldn't show anything and simply eat all of my CPU cycles. I figured out the problem with mine: I had messed up my mod's FGD. For some reason, I thought that comments were the script style "#" rather than C-style "//". Once I replaced that one pound with a double slash, Hammer started fine. It was a bit odd that it wouldn't start even if I chose a configuration that didn't use that FGD. --Kateye 19:25, 13 Oct 2006 (PDT)
Does anybody know how to achive the falling ashes effect much like the one used in Half Life 2 EP 1. It looks like a DoD snow fall but dark gray colored. It falls slowly so precipatation really doesnt work. Thanks..--MrTwoVideoCards 6:58, 13 July 2006 (PDT)
- You could probably get close by changing the appropriate console commands with a point_clientcommand. I'm not sure whether that works in MP situations, but it certainly works in an SP mod. --Giles 02:17, 23 Jul 2006 (PDT)
- ENV_PERCIAPTION - type ash, it wont work unless the mod is built with the august 06 update --Amckern 18:22, 28 Sep 2006 (PDT)
Well finnaly ive been waiting for an anwser on that for three mobnths or so. Haha thanks.--Gear 19:19, 29 Oct 2006 (PST)
Map executing won't work!
I have been making a map, and when I try to run the map, hl2, hl2dm or cs:s won't open the map! The programs are just going to the main menu and won't open the map! What should I do? -Someone
- Read the compile process window for stuff like error, and warning, and fix them. Also check the ingame console for errors --Amckern 18:23, 28 Sep 2006 (PDT)
Making Player Models for Counterstrike Source
I work on a mod for Counterstrike Source and I would like to know what are the specificities of a model to work like a player model for css. I've tried to put an HL2 character's model as a ct_urban but it doesn't work; when I load a map a message error says: "Server is enforcing consistency for this file: models\player\ct_urban.mdl" --coco20053 (Oct 26th 2006)
hammer not loading
everytime I try to start up Hammer it says "access is denied" everywhere I go, no one knows the answer.
- use this shortcut might work
"C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 211 -runhammer (Oct 26th 2006)
Missing pupil texture
I've just started messing with the mod tools, and I'm trying to make some custom characters. I compiled the male_06 model that came in the source_sdk_content folder, but his pupil textures are missing. Everything else worked fine. Any ideas what would cause this? Dz 15:01, 25 Aug 2006 (PDT)
===I also have launching troubles=== Darkholexdk 11:30, 28 Sep 2006 (PDT) If i try to open SourceSDK it opens in the processes, but not on the process line. I can see that there is a process opened, but its not opening as a window.
I just tried to reintstall it, but it didn't work.
1.7GHZ, Ati RADEION 9700, 1.25GB RAM.
- Regedit your key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Source\C:\Steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\modnamehere\Settings ScreenWindowed to 0 --Amckern 18:31, 28 Sep 2006 (PDT)
Thanks for your answer, but this does not seem to work. Any other ideas? --Darkholexdk 05:21, 30 Sep 2006 (PDT)
My question is solved, after a bit of reading i just deleted the sourcesdk folder, then started it, and it automaticly reinstalled itself. (Oct 26th 2006)
I have compiling troubles
when i compile my map i get the following error in my process window
textures exceeding MAP_MAX_MIPTEX
its like ive used 2 many textures yet my map only has 74 different textures which i know is not 2 many plz help (Oct 26th 2006)
Npc_citizens don't talk
I'm working on a small singleplayer mod. Everything's fine, but since the August '06 SDK update, I'm not able to get the npc_citizens to talk anymore. If I run my mod with SteamAppID 220 (moving away the customized dlls from the bin dir) they speak and act as expected, while if I use SteamAppID 215 (with my custom dlls, but I didn't touched a single line of code that deals with them) they're mute (and from time to time they pose in their "Idle" posture). Here's a list of the things I've tried to solve this issue:
- I've tried to force their behaviour using an Ai_speechfilter, but it didn't work.
- I've moved away any script file from scripts\talker dir. Nothing happened.
- I've tried to replace the old script\talker\npc_citizen.txt and script\talker\npc_citizen_commandermode.txt with the new ones extracted from the episode 1 gfcs. No luck.
- I've run the mod with any possible combination of DontUseSpeechSemaphore setting. Wasted time.
Note that when I ran the mod with custom dlls AND SteamAppID 220 (before August), everything was fine. --uoz 01:39, 1 Nov 2006 (PST)
map compiling problem
im working on a surf map and i finaly made a nice jail but when i place'd the jail in my map and want to compile it i get a essage (Too many t-junctions to fix up!)and i was woundering what is this and how do i fix it ???
- some one said it's that i have to many textures on my map so i deleted a part of the jail leaving just the basic box and it still didnt work so dont know what i have to do to make it work atm
anubis 14:32, 5 nov 2006 (GMT+1)
- I know this has been talked about before and resolved in the VERC forums, but I can't get there to provide you a direct link (stupid work firewall). If i remember correctly T junctions are where faces get split by interseting brushes, i think between func_Detail and word. Try cleaning up your brushwork or converting interesecting solids between func_detail and world. OR go search the VERC forums, a link is on here somewhere if google doesn't catch it --Angry Beaver 08:53, 5 Nov 2006 (PST)
Hide .SVN folders in hammer texture browser?
- You can add an exception in the Options dialog for each folder, but its tedious and a pain to do. I think this has been listed as a bug in the tracker, so hopefully we will get a patch soon to fix it. Wraiyth 22:41, 28 Sep 2006 (PDT)
I know this is a complete newbie question, despite the fact that I've been using SDK for a few months now. I can't get my head around this "Node Graph Out of date" thing. I can build things, I know how to use a few more entities thanks to this and a few other SDK sites; but no website can clearly explain why this node graph notice pops up once I've compiled a map. So could someone tell me what this means and how to fix it? (Also, when I put furniture in a map with prop_physics, when I test it out the furniture is lying where it's not supposed to be or is turned upside down etc, with the rest of the furniture. E.G: If I put a monitor, keyboard, plant, on a desk, once compiled the desk would be on it's side the monitor next to it etc. Is this because of the Node Graph thing? Or is it a completely different problem?) Thanks. MKM92 13:50, 4 Nov 2006 (PST)
- There 2 different issues.
- Node Graph: This is easy to get rid of. Place an NPC and an info_ndoe into your map. Run it once. As logn as you don't modify it, it'll never come back. Its simply telling you that the its building the AI's movement and interaction info. with no info_nodes it tells you every time you start up. with info_ndoes and an npc it tells you once. Untill you replace the files
- Moving Objects: This is not so easy to fix. Its simply the palcement of your prop_physics, part of them probably microsopic is in another object. So to fix the penetration error source moves the object out of the other one, seeing as this happens in game you end up with momentum and gravity throwing the object round too. Thus it ends up somewhere its not supposed to be. Improving the placement will probably fix it 9/10 but the quicker way to do it is to turn on the flag that freezes it in place untill it recives some form of physics interaction (not disable motion, the other one. Id say if i had Hammer infornt of me). the only issue is your placements gotta be perfect, as it may make the object look like its floating or as soon as you enable physics it could start trying to fix the pentration error and throw it around.--Angry Beaver 09:03, 5 Nov 2006 (PST)
- The Objects are working now and the nodegraph sign is gone. That's the first time that's ever happened! Thanks. MKM92 11:47, 6 Nov 2006 (PST)