This article is a stub. You can help by adding to it.
Categories are pages that group together pages which share similar purposes, subjects or other qualities. To add a page to a category, add it as a link at the bottom of the page. Some templates may also assign categories when added to a page.
Hidden categories are just that; categories usually not displayed on a page. This is done only for maintenance categories, like Category:TODO. To mark a category as hidden, add the magic word
__HIDDENCAT__ on that category's page. To make the website show hidden categories for you, check the Show hidden categories box in Special:Preferences.
If you want to simply link to a category on a page, put a
: at the start of the page name, like this:
It may take some time for a page to appear or disappear from a category. Try adding
?action=purge at the end of the URL to nudge the server to do it faster. The wait time may be even longer if assigned through a template.
A sort key allows you to change where in a category a page is listed. To change a page's location, simply add a
| after the category name, and then specify where to put it. A sorting key can be as specific as needed. To make a page be categorized under the Es, just add
|E. See Wikipedia:WP:SORTKEY for more information and uses.
- Category:Hidden categories - Hidden categories.
- Special:Categories - Lists all categories.
- Special:CategoryTree - Insert a category and this will return categories included under it, categories this one is included under, and the pages in this category. Basically, it's visiting a category page but without actually visiting it.
- Special:MostCategories - Displays pages that have the highest number of categories.
- Special:MostLinkedCategories - Categories most frequently linked to by other categories (basically the biggest categories).
- Special:RandomInCategory - Takes you to a random page in a category.
- Special:TrackingCategories - Auto-generated categories.
- Special:UncategorizedCategories - Lists categories that are not categorized under any others.
- Special:UncategorizedFiles - Lists files that are not listed under any categories.
- Special:UncategorizedTemplates - Lists templates that are not listed under any categories.
- Special:UnusedCategories - Lists categories with no pages in them.
- Special:WantedCategories - Categories that are linked to a lot, but don't officially "exist". This list is not crucial. A category does not need a description to function.