This game is included in the following packages:
A mod that is able to use the physics engine has a fantastic cooperative toy. Garry's Mod was born on the Something Awful forums. Everyone had been playing JBMod and really enjoying it. Production of JBMod had slowed right down so Garry went about making his own small mod. Garry really wanted to rope things together - this is what interested him most. So Garry did this. A mod was born, the crossbow was changed into a rope creating tool. Everyone loved it, so a day later a new version was made. ..continue
Garry's mod as a Dev Tool
Garry's Mod is interesting for developing purposes, and can greatly fulfill some task needed to make new mods.
Here is a list of suggestions about that:
- As an interactive chat
- You can chat with other mod members, and share ideas through text and usage of Gmod tools. You can even create decoration, or prof that the engine support foo or bar about physics. Mappers may join and use building blocks to cooperatively share ideas about scenarios with not-mappers. May even use GMod to show a new map and discuss features without mobs. You can setup Source windowed, and fortunately enough use a reasonable level of CPU, so you can still work on code, or chat on other apps.
- As a Scenario Maker for pimping purposes
- You can recreate scenes you want to capture to pimp your mod, model or map.
- Fresh ideas
- As you can create "artifacts", maybe you can create stuff you can recreate on your mods. Gmod's mini-games can be expanded to full mods.
- Stress-test Source
- Invent creative methods to crash Source. Maybe you can to push the limits of Source?.. You can use Gmod's sand arena to test abusive usage of Source, like spawning a thousand zombies, etc. Will it crash or freeze? Will the video corrupt? Will the network buffer overflow?
- Scripting new game modes
- With the implementation of Lua scripting in versions 9 and later, you can create new game modes and weapons without using the HL2 SDK and make things much easier.
- Garry's Mod is available for purchase on Steam for $9.99. Garry and Valve split the profit 50/50.
- Version 9.0.4 and all older versions will remain free. Only the new version will be sold via Steam. Version 9.0.4 will be treated as a "demo" of the Steam version of Garry's Mod.
- Garry has said that there will most likely be no retail version of his game.
- Official Website
- Garry's Mod Forums
- Garry's Mod Wiki
- Steam store page
- Random pictures from the new upcoming version (updated on a daily basis)