Gabe Newell's FAQ
From Valve Developer Community
Revision as of 07:02, 9 October 2005 by Ts2do (→Questions that annoying people keep adding to the page for the ANSWERS to questions he recieved in email)
These are answers to questions I've recently received in email.
- When will Rag Doll Kung Fu ship?
- When will Half-Life 2: Lost Coast ship?
At the end of October.
- Will Day of Defeat: Source and Half-Life 2: Aftermath have HDR?
- Where can I find out more about Rag Doll Kung Fu?
Rag Doll Kung Fu website
- Will there be a Rag Doll Kung Fu demo?
Not before we ship.
- What kind of PC do you have?
Gabe Newell's PC
- Gee, you have a lot of NVIDIA stuff in your PC.
- How can I get a job in the games business?
The best thing you can do to both develop the skills you will need and also come to the attention of game developers is to work on a MOD. About half of Valve comes out of the MOD community, and more and more game companies are recruiting out of MOD teams.
- What about the game schools like DigiPen, the Guildhall, Full Sail, ...?
DigiPen is here in the Seattle area so we have the most experience with them. I think there are 8 former DigiPen students working at Valve right now, and we haven't fired any of them, so... Joking aside, DigiPen seems to have prepared them quite well for working here.
I gave a commencement address at the Guildhall, but we haven't hired anyone from there. The program is different from DigiPen's (just look at the curriculum at both schools), and a lot of Dallas game developers (e.g. Graeme Divine, Richard Gray, ...) are part of the faculty.
I have no experience or direct knowledge of Full Sail.
Overall I think these are fine choices, especially if you are simultaneously part of a MOD team, as that will go a long way towards focusing your studies.
- What do you think of the Apple Cinema HD Display?
I've been using Apple Cinema Displays for several years now with both NVIDIA and ATI display adapters, starting with the original 22" Cinema Display. I was tempted for a while by the Samsung 24" display, but it wasn't a big enough step forward and had problems running at its native resolution with DVI inputs. The 30" version is great, and I would recommend it as a significant improvement over the 22" or 23" versions. It works fine for games or movies. I run 2560 by 1600 for my desktop and for games that support that resolution (e.g. Source games, WoW, ...). I made a half-hearted attempt to get two Apple Cinema HD Displays working simultaneously, but the connectors interfered with each other. Most of the machines at Valve have the Dell 24" LCD monitor, and a number of people have those set up in dual monitor configurations.
- Do you get playable framerates at 2560 by 1600?
I get 150 to 170 FPS out of the Counter-Strike: Source VST depending upon what set of tweaks I'm running that day. That's with vsynch disabled, 16X aniso, and 6X AA.
- Can I get a tour of Valve/Will you autograph something for me?
Yes and yes. In either case, send e-mail to Kathy Gehrig and CC: me.
- How long is Aftermath Episode 1?
We're aiming for around five hours. The last time I played through it took me six hours, so your mileage may vary.
- What kind of car do you drive?
I have a BMW 745i. It was the first of the new generation 700 series sold in the state of Washington. It's the only car I've ever owned that reboots as you drive. The i-drive is one of the most ill-conceived and poorly executed pieces of software I've owned.
- What kind of music do you like?
I have very eclectic tastes. Today I'm listening to Steel Pole Bath Tub.
- What kind of beer do you like??
- Do you have a hobby?
Questions that annoying people keep adding to the page for the ANSWERS to questions he recieved in email
- How many hours a day do you play videogames?
- And how many hours a day do you play valve´s games?
- When will DoD Source content be added to the SDK?
- What is happening with the announced CSS models and maps that were announced a couple months ago?
- Is the Half Life Source Deathmatch that was announced still going to be released?