func_instance is a internal point entity available in all Source games. It inserts an instance of another VMF file into the current one. You can translate and rotate the instance without breaking anything or creating an off-grid editing nightmare.
By default, instances are drawn with an orange tint.
Input through an instance
- Define a Fix Up Name.
- Define a value for the input or output you want to use (if there is one).
- Send an input to the targetname "fixupname-value", e.g. MyInstance-Start. Hammer's UI won't recognise the name, but don't worry.
- VMF Filename
- The VMF file to insert as an instance.
- Fix Up Name
- Essentially the name of the instance. All entities within it will have this string added to them based upon the fix up style.
- Entity Name Fix Up
- How to apply the fix up name.
- Prefix (Default)
<string $variable> <string value>
- This is a replacement parameter. Any usage of
$variableinside the instance will be replaced with
- Example: $color 255 0 0
- Pitch Yaw Roll (Y Z X) (angles)
- This entity's orientation in the world. Pitch is rotation around the Y axis, yaw is the rotation around the Z axis, roll is the rotation around the X axis.