Dota 2 Workshop Tools/Scripting/Simple Trigger that calls Lua
< Dota 2 Workshop Tools | Scripting
Revision as of 16:51, 10 August 2014 by ArmageddonSnipe (editing the output to be "volvo wiki" style.)
- Step 1: Create a box with the block tool (Shift+B). Make sure you have the "toolstrigger.vmat" material selected. This box will server as the trigger area.
- Step 2: Select the box and go to "Tools > Tie To Entity" (Ctrl+T). This will create a trigger entity that is tied with your box.
- Step 3: Select the trigger and change its class to "trigger_hero". This trigger is meant to be used for when a player enters or leaves the trigger area. There are a lot of types of triggers but let's keep it simple for now.
- Step 4: Set a name and the path to the script file you want to call functions from.
- Step 5: With the trigger selected press Alt+Enter to open the Object Properties window, then select the Outputs tabs.
- Step 6: Add an output named "OnStartTouch". Set the trigger as the target. The input should be "CallScriptFunction" and the parameter should be the name of the function you want to be called.
- Step 6: Add another output with the same values, but the name should be "OnEndTouch". You probably want to set a different function name as well.
Example lua code:
function OnStartTouch(trigger) print(trigger.activator) print(trigger.caller) end function OnEndTouch(trigger) print(trigger.activator) print(trigger.caller) end